Krank has improved their amps.

• Thread starter LordOVchaoS
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Any word on the Krank Rev SST ? It's a tube pre section w/ a mosfet power section.

I'm guessing it might not be as good as the Randall T2/V2 but it'd be interesting to see how much they're going to sell for.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Any word on the Krank Rev SST ? It's a tube pre section w/ a mosfet power section.

I'm guessing it might not be as good as the Randall T2/V2 but it'd be interesting to see how much they're going to sell for.

That doesn't sound like a good thing.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Question - in all the videos I see of "This Godless Endeavor" either being recorded or in videos, both Loomis and Smyth are using Krank amps. At least they're the only ones plugged into and powered on. Did they get that sick tone on the record with Kranks?

I plan on picking up a head sometime in the next few months and I really can't dig on the Mesa sound. Krank and Peavey were on my shortlists.

A lot of records done by Sneap and James Murphy have Krank on them.

Jeff

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
A lot of records done by Sneap and James Murphy have Krank on them.

Jeff

Most of those from what I understand the artist didn't actually play through the Krank, but rather the DI tracks were ramped through it right? The issue for most people with Kranks isn't their recorded tone but rather how they feel when playing through it. It's just extremely stiff and mechanical to play IMO.

Hopefully the new Kranks play like a tube amp this time. I'll certainly give them another shot. I bought both the Rev1 and Krankenstein, they had potential but just a ways to go (at least for me).

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I know Smyth recorded his whole solo album with them, but I don't know what they were hearing through the monitors. You can ask James Murphy on AIM (he gives out his contact information at Sneap's forum) and dig through the album threads for Sneap's stuff, though.

Jeff

psychoticsnoman

Reaction score
Why do the cabs suck so much?

They are really expensive.

I didn't think the Krankenstein cab sucked, i ran my 5150 II through it and i thought it was pretty good sounding :shrug:

Edit - I also played a Mesa Rectoverb through it too at a SamAsh, that didn't sound bad either

migreeni

Reaction score
Couple of questions about the Krankenstein:

I've got the Krankenstein head and cab, it sounds sweet and all but I'm always into improving ;) If I change the power tubes to 6550, will it be kinda "upgraded" into a Krankenstein plus? How much will it improve the sound?

And also, I'm not really sure about the cab. What's your cab of choice with the Krankenstein?

By the way a tubescreamer makes it a LOT better imo.

Reaction score

I've got the Krankenstein head and cab, it sounds sweet and all but I'm always into improving ;) If I change the power tubes to 6550, will it be kinda "upgraded" into a Krankenstein plus? How much will it improve the sound?

And also, I'm not really sure about the cab. What's your cab of choice with the Krankenstein?

I don't think the transformer can take the massive rebiasing that the 6550's need (thay advertised more massive trannies that can take the extra current and heat). I would think no, not without massive modding.

migreeni

Reaction score
I don't think the transformer can take the massive rebiasing that the 6550's need (thay advertised more massive trannies that can take the extra current and heat). I would think no, not without massive modding.

Fuck!

Well is there anything else I can do please let me know.
I try live by the saying "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", but it can always be better :hbang:

Reaction score
Fuck!

Well is there anything else I can do please let me know.
I try live by the saying "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", but it can always be better :hbang:
I could be wrong, don't necessarily quote me. From their site:
"New for 2008, is the Krank Krankenstein+ 120 Watt Guitar Amplifier Head. The Krank Krankenstein+ is an improvement on the Krank Krankenstein. The Krankenstein+ has an even bigger, upgraded, sound now using larger transformers and 6550 power tubes resulting in 120 watts of power instead of the old Krankenstein at 100 watts."

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score

i was kinda wondering the same thing, but someone had actually asked that on the krank forum and tony from krank kinda gave him the rundown of why that wouldnt be possible without alot of modding.

from what he was saying the 'stein+ and rev+ had several other component changed and updated to accommodate the use of 6550/KT88 tubes, including resistors and the power transformers.

Erock503

Kranky
Reaction score
yeah, I don't think it's possible without some modifications. The physical spacing for the tube sockets used for 6L6/5881 are too close for the 6550 I think, and the transformer has to be changed to accommodate the use of KT88/6550. From what I've been told, they are simliar to the old 80's JCM800 6550 trannies running a lower B+ voltage. The new ones have a really nice snarl too IMO. I have the updated Stein+, and I really enjoy the head a lot, particularly how it handles 7 strings. I also have a Krankenstein cab with V30 x Texas Heats, and it sounds great IMO. One of the few cabs built with solid wood rather than a ply, and it's sounded great with every amp I've played thru it.

magh8

Reaction score
to see if it's the same person i think it might be, is it an HCAF member who also currently owns a Splawn Nitro, Bugera 6260, and just bought a Savage 120? if so, that guy's tastes are a little bit questionable....he COMPLETELY scoops out the mids on his amps and at least used to use a Powerball EQd that way, through a Vader 4x12 and iSP Vector guitar subwoofer :lol:
I see I'm going to have to explain this to you...

I don't know why you need to talk junk about anyone or the tone they use Ari...maybe it is because you are an asshat?who knows?maybe you have nothing better to do or it just makes you feel better about your current situation?

first thing I do not totaly scoop my mods.I normally run them around 1030 or so on every amp i have owned.it is about the band as a whole not trying to be overpowering so you cut over everything else even if I did what's it to you.use just enough to blend properly that has always been my rule of thumb

the sub was the shit but I didn't want something to happen to it and have to send it out for repair so I sold it because there is less of a chance a 412 will fail...

oh yeah and vader cabs suck...lolyou're crate owns them....lol

as far as tone when I do choppy palmmute riffs well I want the chords to sound like thick bold and well choppy on the other hand I have heared you in a live situation and you doing the same type of riffing it sounded like the coconut horse holves in the holt grail...

I'm sure alot of guys will agree with me that there is such a thing as to much mids as there is too little.what would it sound like if say napalm death used an amp with the mids pushed over 1 oclock......like ass

btw:lol: right back at you

Reaction score

I don't know why you need to talk junk about anyone or the tone they use Ari...maybe it is because you are an asshat?who knows?maybe you have nothing better to do or it just makes you feel better about your current situation?

first thing I do not totaly scoop my mods.I normally run them around 1030 or so on every amp i have owned.it is about the band as a whole not trying to be overpowering so you cut over everything else even if I did what's it to you.use just enough to blend properly that has always been my rule of thumb

the sub was the shit but I didn't want something to happen to it and have to send it out for repair so I sold it because there is less of a chance a 412 will fail...

as far as tone when I do choppy palmmute riffs well I want the chords to sound like thick bold and well choppy on the other hand I have heared you in a live situation and you doing the same type of riffing it sounded like the coconut horse holves in the holt grail...

I'm sure alot of guys will agree with me that there is such a thing as to much mids as there is too little.what would it sound like if say napalm death used an amp with the mids pushed over 1 oclock......like ass

Lemme guess...harmony central forumite.....

Way to make an entrance

Ladies and gentlemen..I've given my first Neg Rep

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score

Dude Ari doesn't use Crates. This dude has an ENGL Savage & VHT Deliverance with custom shop cabinets with great speakers. He's also in an established band so I doubt he posted what he did out of disdain for his 'situation'. He also never said anything bad about Vader cabs, he almost got one of those recently in fact.

I'm not saying it was nice for him to say what he did, but signing up on this forum just to flame him seems a little silly. It's nothing personal, it's just the internet and he's opinionated.

BTW, running your mids at 10:30 on a scooped amp like a Powerball can be considered "scooping your mids"... not that scooping your mids is not your right, it's all up to personal taste.

magh8

Reaction score
Dude Ari doesn't use Crates. This dude has an ENGL Savage & VHT Deliverance with custom shop cabinets with great speakers. He's also in an established band so I doubt he posted what he did out of disdain for his 'situation'. He also never said anything bad about Vader cabs, he almost got one of those recently in fact.

I'm not saying it was nice for him to say what he did, but signing up on this forum just to flame him seems a little silly. It's nothing personal, it's just the internet and he's opinionated.

BTW, running your mids at 10:30 on a scooped amp like a Powerball can be considered "scooping your mids"... not that scooping your mids is not your right, it's all up to personal taste.

my problem with the whole thing is comment and say what you want...that's fine but when I read something somebody I know and think is OK wants to say BS about somebody and critisize and use the lol smile as if to say "ha,ha,ha listen to what this asshole is doing"sounds like an ass to me yet be all cool to your face...

last i knew ari was running a crate 412 with warehouse speakers or something.I know he has a D60 and a savage120....I actually played his savage last year at NEAF because I was considering ditching my PB for one and realized i can get a very similar tone with the PB so didn't bother...

now as far as Krank.I hated the old krank heads.I owned a rev1 and it was one of the worst sounding amp I have owned.I also got to play an original krankenstein and didn't care for it.I heared some good stuff about the new plus series heads took a chance and I will say they do kick ass.the sweep control is more usable,they added an fx loop boost, upgraded trannis,and upgraded to 6550's.the amp is very responsive,has a nice clean,tight bottom end,and is pretty quite for a high gainer.my old rev1 was noisy as hell,hum,radio,you name it...the only thing I would change is the pic of dime on the head.I think it is time krank just let dime go....

stux

Reaction score

Just want to ask something. A guitars main frequency range is the mids, and in live and recording the mids are what really cut through the mix and let you sit in there. If you scoop them or remove them, what you're basically doing is putting your tone in the same space as the bass guitar, kick drum and cymbals/snare. A band setup works well because everyone takes up their own part of the frequency range, you have bass down the end, then up to guitars, vocals, then you have cymbals and snares up at the high end, with a kick drum hitting bass level and higher end with the click for more audiblity.

Basically what I'm saying is that by scooping mids out you are comprimising not just your own tone but also the overall sound of your band. You muddy up the mix and leave a space in the middle that only the vocals and some of the snare are really hitting. My question is just really, why do you turn them down/scoop? Its usually an easy solution to lack of tone, i.e. if you can't dial in a good tone, scoop it, and alone it sounds "good".

And on the subject of Kranks, the two Krank heads cost more than a Powerball does new in England :lol:

Erock503

Kranky
Reaction score
I know Mark, his band sounds good, he's no rookie when it comes to tone. They get asked back to play at places, and get compliments on their sound. I think he just got a little pissed because he and Ari are friends outside the forums.

And on the subject of Kranks, the two Krank heads cost more than a Powerball does new in England :lol:
yeah, that makes sense, coming across the pond I guess, considering what you guys pay for Mesa. Thought it would be closer since they are still imported from Germany. The PB is $2k here, and the FB is $1400 new. The Stein+ is $1700 here, and the Rev+ is $1600. You can get crazy used deals here on the Kranks though, I got my whole stein halfstack for 1085 shipped off fleabay, lol.

stux

Reaction score
I know Mark, his band sounds good, he's no rookie when it comes to tone. They get asked back to play at places, and get compliments on their sound. I think he just got a little pissed because he and Ari are friends outside the forums.

yeah, that makes sense, coming across the pond I guess, considering what you guys pay for Mesa. Thought it would be closer since they are still imported from Germany. The PB is $2k here, and the FB is $1400 new. The Stein+ is $1700 here, and the Rev+ is $1600. You can get crazy used deals here on the Kranks though, I got my whole stein halfstack for 1085 shipped off fleabay, lol.

The Rev and Powerball are £1300 here, the Stein is £1400 (this is just from looking on google shop). I got my Powerball AND the Orange 2x12 for less than the Stein :hbang:

')