Krankenstein Reviews/owners UPDATE ;(

• Thread starter jd267
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jd267

Reaction score
Can any one shed any light on this amp? got one on its way and will be hear tomorrow. Got it from GC for 650 . PLEASE REPLY ONLY IF YOU HAVE ONE AND PLAYED ONE!!!! Dont want peoples comments towards the company ect ect. I could give a shit about them if you no what i mean . Just care about the tone of it. I have owned all types of amps from mesa to engl to marshall, randall ect. My main rig is a mark 4.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I really hated the one I owned. Most of the knobs had very little sweep to them. The clean channel was abysmal. Leads actually sounded pretty good with the right EQ, delay, and reverb in the loop. Down tuned rhythms were always a muddy mess regardless of the boost, settings, and cabinet. I do not miss that head.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
yeah I didn't like the one I used for a bit as backline. Was too loose and fizzy, it was really hard to dial in a tight, mid gain/hi mid rhythm tone.

I did however love the Rev+. Sounded really clear and had a mesa rectifier sound without the sag. Used that and a maxon OD808 and loved it. Really easy to dial in a low gain overdrive. Used one of them for years when I was a Krank artist.

jd267

Reaction score
I figured this was a stupid question to ask, But what i like you may not like an so on. Some amps that people love i think suck .

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I havent tried the Krankenstein, but found that putting better tubes in the pre in my Rev Jr. Pro made a *world* of difference (JJ's vs the stock Ruby "High Gain" aka fizz machines). Not sure what the Krankenstein comes with.

I found this on the amp:

"The trick on these is to turn the main master volume up to 10 and use the channel volumes, EQs, sweep, and presence to dial in your tone. "

Reaction score
Can any one shed any light on this amp? got one on its way and will be hear tomorrow. Got it from GC for 650 . PLEASE REPLY ONLY IF YOU HAVE ONE AND PLAYED ONE!!!! Dont want peoples comments towards the company ect ect. I could give a shit about them if you no what i mean . Just care about the tone of it. I have owned all types of amps from mesa to engl to marshall, randall ect. My main rig is a mark 4.

If you play any variation of Death Metal you'll be happy. Its a brutal high gain amp. Sounded like a heavily modded Marshall to me. Plug right into it and play. It needs a noise gate for sure though.

BadSeed

Reaction score
I had a Rev first run. I dug the tone aa lot and really liked the way it sounded with my 6505. It was a littler thinner but had a mid range grit to the found that I thought sounded really mmean. If I had to compare it to an amp I'd say it sounds like a grittier xxx

Unfortunately it had serious reliability issues and even aside from that, wasn't worth near its pricetag

jd267

Reaction score
So the krank came today used from GC . Plugged it in and it shorted out!!! tubes had lightning in them called krank talked to a guy name chris . He was very cool and helpful and told me to send it in and he will juice it up for me and fix whats wrong with it for cheep. Very cool guy. Took it to GC and got back $450 and paid 200 for the broken head!!! Pays to no the manager lol. Went home and took the chassis out and found a blown resistor on one of the power tube sockets. wonder why it blew the resistor and not the fuse on back of the amp? My guess is that it was in need of a retube.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Awsome man. Hopefully the rapair bill isn't a deal killer, just make sure and send a note with it detailing your conversation with Chris and the circumstances.
That just always helps keep things from getting lost in the shuffle.
Sounds like you're right on top of it and it will probably end up better than it would have anyways if nothing had popped.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Went home and took the chassis out and found a blown resistor on one of the power tube sockets. wonder why it blew the resistor and not the fuse on back of the amp?
Screen grid resistor. I think it's kind of a protective mechanism. They usually blow when a tube goes. Easy fix too!

Grats on the good deal!

jd267

Reaction score
Screen grid resistor. I think it's kind of a protective mechanism. They usually blow when a tube goes. Easy fix too!

Grats on the good deal!

Sounds like you no what im talking about man. Im pretty good with electronics and could solder a new one in but i think sending it in and having it fixed by them at least it will get a full tune up ect. You think it blew because of a bad tube? everything else looks great on the boards ect. Just that one dame resistor .

Antares88

Reaction score
That sucks :ugh: .. I've had my Krank for several years now without it skipping a beat.. I've found that the presence control is not very useable, I keep it very low personally. I hated it at first, changing the factory tubes and mastering the sweep and a boost is key.. Since then its kicked ass :hbang: Hope it turns out well for you!

jd267

Reaction score
Well soldered in a new 750ohm 5 watt screen grid resistor, cleaned the board up, installed new tubes,found 505 plate voltage, so 505 / 25watts plate Dissipation x .7 is 34 ma. so biased the amp to 33.8. amps sounded ok. Broke out the jar of 12ax7 preamp tubes(JUST TO CLEAR THIS UP THE STOCK EH TUBES KILL THIS AMP!) went to town for about 2 hours. after trying every combo i can think of i settled with V1 Sylvania STR 12AX7, and tung sol's for the other three. And bam . This amp kicks major ass!!! with a maxon od808 up front its the s#%t!!!. best way to describe it is damageplan to a tee!!! So yes stock bias and stock pre amp tubes its hard to dial it in and does kind of sound like crap but a little amp tweaking and TUNING its bad ass. Has alot of bass and can get muddy fast! any one can dial in a amp and say it sucks but TUNING it is a another story !!!!

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score

Is it the Krankenstein or Krankenstein Plus?

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Chris @ Krank is a lovely guy and incredibly helpful. Haven't spoken to him in a while but I loved dealing with him. Cool to hear you're happy man!

jd267

Reaction score
Chris @ Krank is a lovely guy and incredibly helpful. Haven't spoken to him in a while but I loved dealing with him. Cool to hear you're happy man!

Yes he is very cool pat the tech gave me free resistors and also a back panel !!:hbang: Also been talking to tony threw email . He walked me threw a schematic!!! He don't even work there any more lol.. His name is stamped on the chassis inside :metal:

')