Krankenstein Reviews/owners UPDATE ;(

• Thread starter jd267
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
original.... was told its the same circuit just dif transformers

It is. And different tubes. The Plus is 6550 powered. I figured out how to get a regular K-stein sounding killer by keeping the master really high(dime the master, control the volume with the channel volume), gain on about 4, sweep on 3.5, eq all at 7 and presence at like 2. This and boosting with an overdrive sounds so clear and mean!! Not fizzy, just aggressive as hell!! Especially thru a V30 cab. With that said, in my experience the K-stein Plus sounds even better. Those giant transformers and 6550's of the Plus model in my opinion take the K-stein circuit to where it needs to be. Makes the presence more useable and just makes the tone thicker and clearer sounding. Not mention super tight!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jd267

Reaction score
It is. And different tubes. The Plus is 6550 powered. I figured out how to get a regular K-stein sounding killer by keeping the master really high(dime the master, control the volume with the channel volume), gain on about 4, sweep on 3.5, eq all at 7 and presence at like 2. This and boosting with an overdrive sounds so clear and mean!! Not fizzy, just aggressive as hell!! Especially thru a V30 cab. With that said, in my experience the K-stein Plus sounds even better. Those giant transformers and 6550's of the Plus model in my opinion take the K-stein circuit to where it needs to be. Makes the presence more useable and just makes the tone thicker and clearer sounding. Not mention super tight!!
Cool man i will have to try one out some time! yea i boost mine with a 0d808 gain on about 1.5 ,master about 4 o clock

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
Cool man i will have to try one out some time! yea i boost mine with a 0d808 gain on about 1.5 ,master about 4 o clock

Good call. The lower the gain the better!! Having a global master to crank really helps make that sound even better and more alive.

And yea!! If U like the regular K-stein, u will love the Plus

jd267

Reaction score
Good call. The lower the gain the better!! Having a global master to crank really helps make that sound even better and more alive.

And yea!! If U like the regular K-stein, u will love the Plus
wondering if i should sell it now that it works :lol:

DanielLunardi

Reaction score
Hi to everyone. My name is Daniel, and i am a 30 year old guitarist. I live in Brazil, and this weekend a friend of mine will bring me a Krankenstein 100w (not +) to me, and i will test him to the limit.. i play 99% of my time mostly Metal , and i play guitar since 1995.. i am very meticulous with my sound, actually i have a Randall Rh150 with a behringer 4x12 cab, jensen italian speakers.. Jackson rr3 with Bill Lawrences L-500 L and R ... soon as the amp arrived here i will post a video with stock tubes, i don't know if stock tubes are dead or good.. lets see.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
I've had the original krankenstein and the + model. I thought they were incredibly mean sounding amps. Very cold and industrial sounding, if that makes sense, but ultra brutal.

DanielLunardi

Reaction score
Hey friends.... finally a video test of my Krank Krankenstein.. unfortunately the video doesn't make any justice to the PUNCH and BASS...
Daniel Krank Teste 01 - YouTube

My impressions about this:
- the power tubes has no name. I don't know if they are new, ok or bad.. The pre-amp tubes are ElectroHarmonix 12ax7-A ( i don't know what the last A means)
- Overall condition of the amp was ok.. no bigger scratches or major dings..
- When i played with my Samick SFR 777 with Lace Alumitone DB7, the palm mute was tight, like a very clear bite. When i plug my ibanez RG7420 with stock pickups, the palm mute sounds very muddy and wet... Lace Alumitone is a very clear and tight pickup for tube amps..

- Next sound test will be with my Jackson rr3 equipped with bill lawrences..
- The cabinet used was a Behringer with 4 Jensen 12-70 ceramic speakers.. these speakers was refurbished by a company here in brazil.. that guys made a very good job..

Well, the conclusion is that i really like this krank head, so much better than my Randall Rh150, the bass and overall clarity is impressive, and i think i can make it better if i change the power tubes for new ones...

That's all for now :)

')