Krappy Touchstyles

Demeyes

Reaction score
I'm talking about the brand Krappy guitars, as seen here Krappyguitars. Anybody here know much about them? I'm pretty interested in touchstyle playing, and I'm really thinking of taking the plunge on one when I can afford it. It's hard to judge these because of the less than serious nature of the site but it looks like these could be a great first step into that market. The prices are really good compared to Warr and Chapman sticks. Are they any good though? It's very hard to tell if they are good quality or not. I'm sure there must be a few owners here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The member here Leftyguitarjoe has one, and he speaks highly about it, as far as I know, perhaps PM him.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I see my reputation precedes me :lol:

You can see some pics of mine here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...got-bored-took-some-pics-56k-not-for-you.html

Its a great and affordable was to venture into the realm of true touchstyle guitars.

Its a quality instrument, but what saves on cost are the lack of bells and whistles. Its great for its price and alot of fun to play.

I have to warn you though, its an entirely different instrument that you have to basically learn from scratch.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I see my reputation precedes me :lol:

You can see some pics of mine here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...got-bored-took-some-pics-56k-not-for-you.html

Its a great and affordable was to venture into the realm of true touchstyle guitars.

Its a quality instrument, but what saves on cost are the lack of bells and whistles. Its great for its price and alot of fun to play.

I have to warn you though, its an entirely different instrument that you have to basically learn from scratch.
I think I saw a build thread for yours when I was searching to see if there was much on here about them. I really like the body shape you went with. I've got a few questions if you don't mind answering?
Any issues with the intonation or action when you got it? I read somewhere (talkbass, I think) about having some issues if you want to change from the tuning requested. Also is it easy to get strings for? I assume they are the same strings used on regular sticks?
I see you have a strap button on yours, can you actually play it standing up? Is it easy to play comfortably or do you have to really hold it in place?

I know it would be a real hard instrument to play but I know I'll have to try one eventually. I do some basic touchstyle stuff on guitar with basslines and melodies split between left and right hands so that facet of my playing is leading to playing a stick based instrument already. I think if I get one I'll go with a 10 string tuned to the classic tuning.

KenAncients

Reaction score
I'm not trying to judge a book by its cover, but I don't believe I would ever take a brand named Krappy seriously. What do you know about the quality of these?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not trying to judge a book by its cover, but I don't believe I would ever take a brand named Krappy seriously. What do you know about the quality of these?

They don't seem to take it seriously either, but to be honest, I've yet to see a genuinely bad review. They admit to being pretty "basic" in materials and construction, but given their pricing, they're just about the best place to go if you want a cheap "starter" touch style instrument.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
their description on their facebook page is pretty funny, but honestly if i just stumbled upon that page and knew nothing else about the company, i might not want to look further.

leftyjoe, on the touchstyle archives towards the bottom, they have what appears to be your instrument on display and its called leftyjoe something or other :lol:

do they have some kind of order form you fill out or some page with all of their options, or do you just have to simply ask for what you want in an email to their sales department? their prices really arent bad, and i would love to learn how to use one of these things.

PnKnG

Banned
Reaction score
their description on their facebook page is pretty funny, but honestly if i just stumbled upon that page and knew nothing else about the company, i might not want to look further.

leftyjoe, on the touchstyle archives towards the bottom, they have what appears to be your instrument on display and its called leftyjoe something or other :lol:

do they have some kind of order form you fill out or some page with all of their options, or do you just have to simply ask for what you want in an email to their sales department? their prices really arent bad, and i would love to learn how to use one of these things.

Only thing close to a order form is the pricing guide. But no really explanation on what woods to pick from: Krappyguitars

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Any issues with the intonation or action when you got it? I read somewhere (talkbass, I think) about having some issues if you want to change from the tuning requested.
You have to talk with Kevin and carefully pick your tuning. Crossed, uncrossed, 4ths, 5ths, ect. The nut has to be cut for that tuning and you're pretty much locked in. As for intonation I have no problems.

Also is it easy to get strings for? I assume they are the same strings used on regular sticks?
It depends on what you tune to. I actually use normal guitar and bass strings I buy from a local music shop, but thats because I do a mirrored 4ths tuning. If you decide to go with the classic matched reciprocal tuning, you will need to order strings from the chapman stick people.

I see you have a strap button on yours, can you actually play it standing up? Is it easy to play comfortably or do you have to really hold it in place?
The was the strap buttons are positions makes it stand almost vertically.
l_27669c965378416ebe23bcfcee7ca4ef.jpg

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
yeah, the bass he made for me is literally not possible to play at the moment, and there are some basic flaws that are stupid as hell. he´s refused to do anything to fix it too, so i´m not going near his business again.

Psionicist

Reaction score
Their name just kills me....might as well be "Schitty" guitars in terms of appeal. Someone in there really needed to take a Marketing class at the community college.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Their name just kills me....might as well be "Schitty" guitars in terms of appeal. Someone in there really needed to take a Marketing class at the community college.

Maybe if they named themselves something cool like Emperion or Halo they'd make better guitars. ;)

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
A local guy here has one of his touchstyle instruments, it's certainly crappy. The fretwork was possibly the worst I've seen. I kind of like the idea of making something quick and cheap but not at the expense of functionality.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
A local guy here has one of his touchstyle instruments, it's certainly crappy. The fretwork was possibly the worst I've seen. I kind of like the idea of making something quick and cheap but not at the expense of functionality.

i love the idea of something that is cheap and quick, but functional too, as this bass was supposed to be, but that´s not what it was. it was rough looking, as expected, but it was at the expense of functionality AS WELL as the looks...

Demeyes

Reaction score
I don't really know now what to think, I wouldn't mind a no frills instrument but if things were done so that they sacrificed playability too much then it's not what I'm looking for.
A real stick would end up costing me a lot more, maybe 2/3 times the price which would take me an age to afford.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
If you are intrigued enough to purchase,
we will provide you with a complete history
for your instrument. The history might be
akin to this:

Wood: leftover 2x4 from a construction site.
Strings: used about 3 years ago on an old guitar.
Pickups: some buncha crap we snagged from some guy.
Electronics: whatever we can scrounge up!

Our warranty: There is no warranty, expressed or
implied. We fully acknowledge our product is crap, and
your purchase signifies that you have entered into an
agreement to buy a product that is lacking in quality,
contains poor materials, and is worthy of much abuse
and destruction. We will in no way provide any
customer service, so don't even waste your time!!!

This kind of made me laugh, at least they are honest. I did look in to one, but i decided to hold off for a while.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, even if you'd have to get it professionally sorted, and re-fretted, they cost less than even used Chapmans by a significant margin. The fact you can get a host of custom options also sweetens the pot.

They clearly state that they're making super basic, simply constructed, "modest" instruments with a somewhat hap hazard approach. As long as the buyer understands that, I don't see anyone being too disappointed.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. You want a quality instrument with perfect attention to detail and a rock solid return/exchange/repair policy, Warr starts at $2895, Chapman at $1900, and Mobius at $1600.

I honestly don't think there is a better touch style instrument for $700. Maybe for $1700.

:2c:

EDIT: Hmm..... I wonder if they would be willing to make just the neck/body and ship it without frets, hardware or pickups. If it knocks a good $100 or two off the price, one could get it done by a more "professional" luthier/tech.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score

Who'd have thought that Krappy guitars would be crap? :lol:

')