Krk Rokits crackling

• Thread starter samclarke669
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

samclarke669

Reaction score
Hi all,

just grabbed a set of KRK Rokits from eBay and plugged them in. When i listened to music just by Spotify everything sounds ok, if you listen really closely there's a bit of crackling which i did find a bit odd, but when you mute the music and go to a website such a youtube, the interference/crackling seems to go off the charts, its very loud!

I have absolutely no idea why this would happen aside from perhaps faulty speakers?

I'm using a balanced Jack output into my balanced jack audio interface, i've used this same setup with old very low budget monitors and no crackling occurred at all..

Also to note, as i'm typing this post and listening to music, the interference does appear to be getting worse!

Any ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Double check all your audio drivers for updates, just to rule that out.

It would also be good to try another source if possible. Do you have something else you can plug in directly to the speakers?

Reaction score
I'm having this problem now and from what I've seen online, it seems that it's the sound of the computer's processor being picked up through the audio interface.

Prime

Crazy Robot Guy
Reaction score
Logic dictates that if it were audio interface interference from the computer's processor it would have occurred with the old monitors.

My guess is you are overdriving/clipping the input of the monitor's amplifier section ...which apparently varies depending on the source.

Just a guess.

Try reducing the input level TO the monitors. If you need more volume turn up the monitors themselves.

FeedMeWithColours

Reaction score
I had something similar with mine but it would happen randomly and more often using sites like youtube or bandcamp.

I plug my POD in with a USB Cable and connect my KRKs to that for sound.

I replaced the USB and it has worked fine ever since.

Try replacing whatever you use like I used my USB.

Probably not the issue but maybe it will work.

samclarke669

Reaction score
Hi All

cheers for the replies.

I have a feeling i'm being a bit of a tit and using the wrong cables, upon inspection i'm only using TS cables, not TRS!! I'm guessing that could have an effect..

Aris_T

Reaction score
I don't think that will solve it. I had the same problem, especially the left speaker, with the speakers plugged in the balanced out of a xenyx 1204. It was really upsetting, and switched to the alternative output which is unbalanced IIRC. This solved it (no crackling noise), but after seeing this thread, I'm going to try the suggestion to reduce the level from my computer to the console or the interface (signal chain: mac->presonus firebox->console).

EDIT: When plugged directly to the interface, there is no issue.

WeBowInItsAura

Paranormal Entity
Reaction score
I have KRK Rokit 8's that I bought used and later discovered that every now and then they will become crackly / short out. Basically, I have to play with the volume controls on the back of each monitor until the sound comes into focus again. I'm sure you have already played with the controls on the back, but make sure that the issue isn't there. Once my volume are in the right spot everything sounds fine but it is kind of annoying having to adjust it every now and then.

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
major bummer. new (used) gear that doesnt work right is THE WORST!

i actually just bought a used pair of rokit 5's and one of them doesnt produce any sound (or so it appeared at first...)

i did some testing and found it wasnt completely dead, it was just only barely audible even with the volume adjustment knobs on both the speakers at the same level.

in addition, if i have music playing, and i go to turn that speaker off, right before it powers down, you can hear the music fade in (as in gradually get louder) and then cut off, all within about 2 seconds. very strange.

im gonna go in with a multi-meter and test all the capacitors/diodes and compare the values with the other good speaker and see if i can find any bad components, but does anyone have any suggestions or advice? i tried contacting KRK for some blueprints/schematics (i dont know what to call them... drawings?) but got no response at all.... :scratch:

samclarke669

Reaction score
It's such a pain. I've ordered some proper TRS cables to see if that does affect the crackling, only time will tell. I'll also try the unbalanced inputs too. I know it's not my interface as it worked fine with my old monitors

')