KSR Ceres - 3 Channel Preamp Pedal

• Thread starter protest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I don't remember who said it, but someone here said the Metal Zone IS actually based on a preamp? The Boss GL100 IIRC.

Something like that, never heard the old preamp though.

The metalzone works on a clean channel as long as it doesn’t have a bright cap. If it does, it’s bees no matter what.

The metalzone works decent as a preamp probably because the eq has entirely too much range, so you can boost lows and highs and scoop mids to a great degree.

0rimus

Reaction score
The only pedal I've ever gotten to not sound like complete ass running into an fx return or IR into powered cab is the MXR Fullbore lol. In 10 or so years of doing so.

That pedal is ungodly bright and has an extremely potent EQ.

I don't make the rules, but in my experience running an EQ between the preamp and the power amp is mandatory.

My be-od deluxe sounded so murky and muffled even with the treble and presence knobs literally maxed I almost returned it.

But yeah, 10 band eq fixed everything... Amptweaker depthfinder might work too.

Old Blood Noise makes a really cool 3 band that has a 500hz bell and a high and low end shelf that I'm extremely interested in.

The powerstage 170 has a 3 band which will definitely help.

But yeah, spent all day yesterday playing the Ceres and it's already one of my favorite pieces of gear...

But I didn't even bother running it without the eq on. Been disappointed too many times by that mistake.

The Ceres definitely starts off brighter than other Preamp pedals (or distortions used as such sans the Fullbore) but yeah. Played it for a few seconds with the eq off and yeah... Still needs eq.

TL;DR
You HAVE TO use an EQ to make preamps not suck. Regardless of what they're advertised as being/doing.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
The only pedal I've ever gotten to not sound like complete ass running into an fx return or IR into powered cab is the MXR Fullbore lol. In 10 or so years of doing so.

That pedal is ungodly bright and has an extremely potent EQ.

I don't make the rules, but in my experience running an EQ between the preamp and the power amp is mandatory.

My be-od deluxe sounded so murky and muffled even with the treble and presence knobs literally maxed I almost returned it.

But yeah, 10 band eq fixed everything... Amptweaker depthfinder might work too.

Old Blood Noise makes a really cool 3 band that has a 500hz bell and a high and low end shelf that I'm extremely interested in.

The powerstage 170 has a 3 band which will definitely help.

But yeah, spent all day yesterday playing the Ceres and it's already one of my favorite pieces of gear...

But I didn't even bother running it without the eq on. Been disappointed too many times by that mistake.

The Ceres definitely starts off brighter than other Preamp pedals (or distortions used as such sans the Fullbore) but yeah. Played it for a few seconds with the eq off and yeah... Still needs eq.

TL;DR
You HAVE TO use an EQ to make preamps not suck. Regardless of what they're advertised as being/doing.

Im dumb does that mean you have to have an eq in a rack unit setup too?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Im dumb does that mean you have to have an eq in a rack unit setup too?

Nah, I think he means like, preamp pedals. Although in my experience the ISP Theta and the Legend series was fine, the but the AMT SS30 needed some help. You had to dial in some ridonkulous settings with the SS30.

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
I haven’t felt the need for an EQ after my Kartakou Beastbox but of course that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like it better with one.

MrWulf

Reaction score
I dont have an EQ pedal but at the same time i dont feel the need to EQ the pedal. It has quite a decent range and i can just swap guitar with different pickup but still able to dial in my preferable tone with minimal adjustment

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I just know the limited amp selection of the Helix is finally getting to me. :lol: Until they add the bright, fat, and mid-gain options for the Mark IV or add more of the Revv channels, this is still gonna be on my radar.

0rimus

Reaction score
Yeah, there are exceptions obviously. Fullbore; and I've heard people saying the Victory Kraken preamp does excellent on its own.

I just see alot of people (myself included) pretty much quit the whole preamp pedal idea on one or two bad experiences, and all it takes is like a $30 Fish and Chips as to solve it lol...
AND make your preamp that DO sound good on their own sound even better.

And yeah, I'm a pedal whore. Messed with racks a little bit, not enough to merit an option on them.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I haven't turned any of my actual amps on in a week. Mostly cause I'm lazy, but, you know...

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
The wait is killing me... 12 left when I ordered, guess that makes me #88.

I'm #47 I believe and mine may ship the end of this week/beginning of next week. Kyle suggested they are doing them in batches of 12.

I don't think this info will make the wait easier but it may provide process insight, at least :D

DickyTripleD

Reaction score
I had to order a custom one. Basically $70 CAD extra for sparkly orange and white knobs. Definitely worth it.

SomeSevenstringer

Reaction score
I'm #47 I believe and mine may ship the end of this week/beginning of next week. Kyle suggested they are doing them in batches of 12.

I don't think this info will make the wait easier but it may provide process insight, at least :D
Thanks for your reply. It helps, knowing it will be another month or so at least gives me perspective. I just wish I had more patience...

dewberry

Reaction score
Looks like we are in for the longer haul, :cheers:. At least we got ours in before it went back-order.

Actually I intentionally waited until few units are left to check other options or what color to get since I want a custom one. At that time I thought it was a wise decision thinking that all 100 units will be ready to be shipped during the launch date. Yup at least ours are in the first batch.

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
Actually I intentionally waited until few units are left to check other options or what color to get since I want a custom one. At that time I thought it was a wise decision thinking that all 100 units will be ready to be shipped during the launch date. Yup at least ours are in the first batch.

Perhaps foolishly but I too thought all 100 units would be ready to go on the 1st. I know the issue with the PCB occurred which delayed things but perhaps their plan was always small incremental batches.

protest

Reaction score
Kyle has the same approach with his amp builds. He builds in runs and they're done/shipped in order of purchase date. Last time I talked to him he had hired someone to help build the pedals and was debating whether or not to hire another person. It'd wouldn't surprise me if he has by now because I know they were at well over 200 orders at that point.

It honestly might be a wise business decision to turn it over to BAD if the demand continues, but I know he prides himself on doing everything in his shop.