KSR Ceres - 3 Channel Preamp Pedal

• Thread starter protest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrWulf

Reaction score
If anything, I've put Ceres through 4 different guitars, 4 different pickups set and 4 different woods combination and Ceres all have a mode that works with it well.

With Nazgul/Sentient in my Ibanez Prestige RG7421 I put Bright switch off, Tight feel and Artemis Red Mode for some thick, tight chugging rhythm. This is best for tech death sounds as it fitting with how clinical the pickup is.

With Black Winter 7 in my Jackson SLATHX3-7 I only need to turn on the Bright switch, Fat feel in Artemis Red Mode for a saturated, fat modern metal sounds. This is best for a fat sound like thrash or black metal.

With Alpha/Omega in my Agile Interceptor 727 surprisingly enough it works with Bright switch off, Tight feel in Colossus mode. This is a dry, bright but articulate sounds that probably fit with a Djent settings. Not my favorite settings but it does make practice a hell a lot more interesting.

And lastly, with some Ibanez CAP-VK27/VK17 with my Ibanez RGD7421. Certainly not the best pickup out of the bunch but putting Bright mode off, Thick feel and Artemis Red mode yield a surprisingly workable thick metal sounds.

TLDR: The Ceres is great. You can throw anything at it and there bound to be a mode that work well with it.

Last edited:

0rimus

Reaction score
The bright switches are super helpful. For my 9 string I needed the bright switch for rhythm on, but off for the leads (erg problems)

On my passive loaded 7 I needed both bright switches on (all mahogany guitar that I used 330k pots on for some reason=warm)

My Agile 728 with Tosin Fluences worked better with the brights off, so yeah, super flexible.

My friend and I went to the Guitar Store in Seattle and shot out a Mesa Mark V 35 against a used KSR Ares and I thought the KSR dominated the Mark (apples to oranges I guess)

Part of why I jumped on the Ceres was to get that sound but the Ares crunch mode ended up being my least favorite :( But luckily I was able to get the sound I wanted out of the other 2 modes.

The only minor qualm I guess is that I wish the clean channel had a bit more volume. I put it all the way up and try to set the gain channels to match, but if I turn the gain channel volumes too low I start to lose something. But turning them up they quickly overpower the clean. But there is a Goldilocks zone where everything balances out.

I just bought a Boss MS-3 so I should be able to write a clean patch with a clean volume boost or compression on it or something *shrug*

I've been spending way more time on the clean channel though. Wrote some new material with it lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrWulf

Reaction score
I like that KSR actually have a rhythm channel. Every other amps usually have a crunch channel and if you want some thick metal rhythm you'd have to fiddle with the lead channel and maybe put a boost in front for solo. This was how I approach it with the 5153-LBX. With KSR I dont need to do that since the 2 channels are true lead and rhythm channel.

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
The bright switches are super helpful. For my 9 string I needed the bright switch for rhythm on, but off for the leads (erg problems)

On my passive loaded 7 I needed both bright switches on (all mahogany guitar that I used 330k pots on for some reason=warm)

My Agile 728 with Tosin Fluences worked better with the brights off, so yeah, super flexible.

My friend and I went to the Guitar Store in Seattle and shot out a Mesa Mark V 35 against a used KSR Ares and I thought the KSR dominated the Mark (apples to oranges I guess)

Part of why I jumped on the Ceres was to get that sound but the Ares crunch mode ended up being my least favorite :( But luckily I was able to get the sound I wanted out of the other 2 modes.

The only minor qualm I guess is that I wish the clean channel had a bit more volume. I put it all the way up and try to set the gain channels to match, but if I turn the gain channel volumes too low I start to lose something. But turning them up they quickly overpower the clean. But there is a Goldilocks zone where everything balances out.

I just bought a Boss MS-3 so I should be able to write a clean patch with a clean volume boost or compression on it or something *shrug*

I've been spending way more time on the clean channel though. Wrote some new material with it lol

Thanks for the write-up. The clean channel volume was one of my bigger concerns since I do use a lot of cleans. You can somewhat see/hear in the demos that the clean volume can’t quite match the drive channels. Looks like I have some work ahead of me to match those up.

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
It's looking like I may have my Ceres by the end of the week. I won't have much time this weekend to spend with it but once I have I'll be sure to share my thoughts.

MrWulf

Reaction score
rhqb8Ne.png

Sometimes, I dont get people.

DickyTripleD

Reaction score
I thought it was going to be a troll at first but, the poor guy really can’t wrap his around a multichannel preamp or a basic control layout I guess

Why buy a pedal that does everything you need it to, when you could go the Bogner route and pay almost as much three times over?

rokket2005

Reaction score
In going to do another video probably later today running it through a slew of my amps power sections to see differences and what might work best. I like it direct, but it seems like most people will probably be running it into an fx loop or power amp.

dewberry

Reaction score
Paid the balance this morning so that means they're moving closer to you other guys.
Thanks for the info! Your #47 right? Kyle replied to me last Saturday and he said mine will be this week. But I'm #90 so maybe mine will be next week.

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Your #47 right? Kyle replied to me last Saturday and he said mine will be this week. But I'm #90 so maybe mine will be next week.

I believe that I was #47. Perhaps they've been able to up production. That's be awesome if you got yours this week or next.

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
In going to do another video probably later today running it through a slew of my amps power sections to see differences and what might work best. I like it direct, but it seems like most people will probably be running it into an fx loop or power amp.

That would be awesome and very much appreciated!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Doing that while also comparing a direct IR signal would be killer.

dewberry

Reaction score
It looks like a Ceres has made it to Reverb...Damn, it's the one before me too. At least, if I'm remembering correctly that I'm #47.
Yeah I saw that too and noticed 46. I was wondering earlier why yours will just be shipped. I hope yours is #80 or something haha.