KxK 8 Scale 8 String Fanned Fret Sale Run - Sale is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score

deposit sent.

time to find a big hunk of rosewood for the neck.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Awesome. Walnut topped semi-hollow? :D

Walnut yes. Probably semi-hollow. Perhaps a f-hole.

And perhaps an ebony neck (but I'd prefer some form of rosewood) :D

ebony.jpg

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Check Gilmer ;)

:D that's where I got the ebony picture from.. Rob needs at least 42" long and prefers at least 4.5" wide, that's a pretty damn big chunk of wood (at least to me :))

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Walnut yes. Probably semi-hollow. Perhaps a f-hole.

And perhaps an ebony neck (but I'd prefer some form of rosewood) :D

f-hole yes :agreed: :lol:

:D that's where I got the ebony picture from.. Rob needs at least 42" long and prefers at least 4.5" wide, that's a pretty damn big chunk of wood (at least to me :))

Yeah that's the downside of the inline in general on a neck through, much less a 28" scale 8, you need damn big pieces of lumber for the necks...

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
^ yep... Gilmer sometimes have appropriate stuff not listed. I nabbed a few rosewood blanks from them a couple of months back but they were all a little shorter. At the time they had no ziricote fretboards listed so I asked and they supplied a few with spectacular pieces.

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
^ ah... perhaps I should call and ask if they can cut an appropriately sized blank from their nice Brazilian Kingwood stash :D

severussnape

Reaction score
Are finish options an up charge? Like if I wanted to do something like the 7 string proto, upcharge, or no?

Same with the fretboard options.

I'm really really tempted to drop a deposit, just trying to get a feel for what kind of beast I'm toying with here.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ ah... perhaps I should call and ask if they can cut an appropriately sized blank from their nice Brazilian Kingwood stash :D

They don't have any pieces big enough, I've already talked to them about what they have and they're too short for neck throughs and also not dry yet.

Are finish options an up charge? Like if I wanted to do something like the 7 string proto, upcharge, or no?

Same with the fretboard options.

I'm really really tempted to drop a deposit, just trying to get a feel for what kind of beast I'm toying with here.

One step finishes are available at no upcharge. A black burst with clear coat like is on the 7 string proto is a one step finish and available without an upcharge (basically in this case "step" is a single color).

Fretboard woods other than plain maple and ebony might be available but would definitely be an upcharge. If you know what you're looking for spec-wise at this point it might be worth emailing KxK to get a quote you can then use to make your decision.

That said I don't think there's going to be another discounted run of these, so that's something to keep in mind as well. I'm not even sure these are going to become a regularly available model like the 7 Scales are.

severussnape

Reaction score
With the exception of one option I requested, it seems everything I want won't murder my budget for the year.

In 3 weeks ill probably put money down, pending some traffic fines. :metal:

Thanks Steve, for the info and answering my n00b questions.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With the exception of one option I requested, it seems everything I want won't murder my budget for the year.

In 3 weeks ill probably put money down, pending some traffic fines. :metal:

Thanks Steve, for the info and answering my n00b questions.

No problem, glad to help. :yesway:

severussnape

Reaction score
Would it be ok to post a link to this on another forum I'm a member of?

There aren't many erg guys there, but maybe some will be interested.

rogrotten

Reaction score
The thing is that I want in, but I don't want to put down the deposit until I know the aprox build time or at least if it is going to be something in between 12 and 18 months or more, because if it is that long I can definitely put down the deposit but if it is not I can't, I need to plan my expenses accordingly so I don't get myself into a deal that I won't be able to pay ( sorry for the bad english, english is not my first language).

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The thing is that I want in, but I don't want to put down the deposit until I know the aprox build time or at least if it is going to be something in between 12 and 18 months or more, because if it is that long I can definitely put down the deposit but if it is not I can't, I need to plan my expenses accordingly so I don't get myself into a deal that I won't be able to pay ( sorry for the bad english, english is not my first language).

Ok I understand. That can be accommodated, just let KxK know when you order

Status
Not open for further replies.
')