Kxk Prototype

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I just got pictures of the prototype "test guitar" from Rob for my custom. It's looking sweet so far, as you can see the neck hasn't been carved yet.

So, what do you guys think?

4028472d376826d17.jpg

4028472d376855eff.jpg

4028472d376892f99.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks nice. A 24 fret 7 string LP :yesway: Is it set neck and not neck through? looking at the end of the body I don't see the neck through joint on the edge.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks nice. A 24 fret 7 string LP :yesway: Is it set neck and not neck through? looking at the end of the body I don't see the neck through joint on the edge.

Neck through, as I'm pretty sure that's all Rob builds. That's a solid peice of mahogany though, no different wood for the neck, it's just mahogany.

The finished version will have an alder cap.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
That looks pretty sweet. :yesway:

Why an alder cap though?

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
That looks pretty sweet. :yesway:

Why an alder cap though?

Yeah, it is strange to choose alder over maple. My Epiphone Les Paul Custom 6 string is mahogany with an alder cap and I like the tone. :shrug:

I haven't really spent much time with an LP with a maple cap, but I suspect they are similar in tone.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
An alder cap isn't common but if you dig it then go for it. :D

I saw a telecaster on the USACG website a while back that had a hollow mahogany body with an ash top. The owner described its tone as a "pissed off piano". :lol:

Back on topic that guitar looks totally sweet. Rob's work is impressive.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually prefer Robs design and plus it's also purely a KxK thing. Personally I really want this to be very "Rob" as much as my own.

Yeah it's Les Paul'ish, but with some unique twists. Like the 24 frets and that awesome cutaway. Definitely a cool KxK design.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Neck through, as I'm pretty sure that's all Rob builds. That's a solid peice of mahogany though, no different wood for the neck, it's just mahogany.

The finished version will have an alder cap.

I thought so too, but look at the grain on the end of the guitar, and on the top (assuming he didn't cap a mahogany body with mahogany for some reason).

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought so too, but look at the grain on the end of the guitar, and on the top (assuming he didn't cap a mahogany body with mahogany for some reason).

I'm not seeing what you're seeing :lol: Keep in mind that the top is carved so that's why there's the different shades of color (at least I'm pretty sure thats why)

')