KXK V7 build on the final stretch (big pic warning)

• Thread starter noodles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
Why do I get the feeling the pickups will be bouncing off a brick wall at some point? :wallbash:

Oh c'mon, I know from personal experience that you can get the most amazing microphonic squeal out of those pickups. Who doesn't want that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
No, I prefer honesty. I like to know what to expect. I was pondering buying that guitar, but I didn't like the color. Now I'm happy I didn't. Looking at the pics, it seems my bridge is recessed a lot more than yours, so that hopefully won't be an issue. I'll have to see about the width when it gets here, but I should be ok, since I've got the same bridge on my Jackson Stars, and it seems a bit wider to me than some of the Ibbys I've played.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, looking at your pics, I know for a fact he made them recessed like that because of how mine came out. He mentioned something to me at the time when I complained that he should have routed it deeper. Frankly I don't know why he can't just do it the same way he does on his 6-strings, I don't know what the deal is but I hope you love it in the end.

I know what it's like to have the progress page bookmarked, refreshing several times a day in hopes of new pics, day-dreaming of when you can finally play it...so I hope it kicks ass and you love it. I may order from him again depending on how you like yours, but right now I love my Ibanez 7s well enough.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
jacksonplayer said:
Oh c'mon, I know from personal experience that you can get the most amazing microphonic squeal out of those pickups. Who doesn't want that?

I smell a Misfits cover band...

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Yeah, looking at your pics, I know for a fact he made them recessed like that because of how mine came out. He mentioned something to me at the time when I complained that he should have routed it deeper. Frankly I don't know why he can't just do it the same way he does on his 6-strings,

The only six strings of his I've physically seen have recessed Floyds, which would be at that height.

DaveZ

Reaction score
The guitar is looking great! Are you getting a road case with it? If so, the case and guitar will weigh 50 lbs, so be prepared!!!

Dave Z

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
that thing looks killer... as for the Rhoads V's w/ painted bevels, i've gotten really tired of seeing that, its like the only thing you see on a Rhoads anymore... thats one of the reasons i painted my Rhoads like i did, i didn't even touch the bevels, i taped them off completely so as to end the white area at the bevel. the bevel thing is way overdone with the Rhoads V, doesn't anyone have any originality anymore? Randy's pinstriped guitars imo were the ultimate, the bevels are nowhere near as classy looking as that...

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Get the 4+3 SLS headstock, too. :yesway:

Nah, that wouldn't look as good on a V. I'd go with exactly the same setup, except 7-strings and alternating sharktooth inlays. I'd even ask them to make a 7-string version of the p/ups that are already in there.

And noodles, mine is back routed. so 'of course' the custom would have to me. Scratch plates on Randys are AWFUL!

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Regor said:
Nah, that wouldn't look as good on a V. I'd go with exactly the same setup, except 7-strings and alternating sharktooth inlays. I'd even ask them to make a 7-string version of the p/ups that are already in there.

And noodles, mine is back routed. so 'of course' the custom would have to me. Scratch plates on Randys are AWFUL!

Try going here and trying out some options. Ok, they're only 6's, but it'll give you a rough idea.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
That's fucking awesome :hbang:

I personally love how the bridge and pickups are recessed. Looks cool. Built for speed.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Nah, I need solid black. With a maple board. Hmm...

Why do get the feeling I'll be ordering a Carvin in the "Official Jerich Color Scheme" before the year is out? :lol:

Thanks man...i'd like to think i was original...and Black and ((Birdseye maple go together so well)) but noodles might have me beat here!!! looks like a great guitar...and After meeting the KXK man at NAMM is jan I think he makes some serious machines...and although tempting...I think i will wait for perfect in the process....
I also sold one of my Carvin Blacks with Birdseye maple to Jason from down in your area...from...Todensoboden:lol:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regor said:

Having spent three years playing across from a Rhoads with the 4+3 SLS headstock, I think it actually looks better. But that's me. ;)

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
More new pics. He is down to cutting out the coverplates now. I'm sending out the payment at the end of the week.

The first full shot. Notice the missing trussrod cover, which will be engraved with "Noodles":
DE2005m.JPG

I *love* the total access to the upper frets that his design provides. This makes the size/shape of the neck heel a complete non-issue:
DE2005l.JPG

The neck binding is black, so it doesn't come out well in pics, but I like the look of the all black fretboard and the feel of binding:
DE2005n.JPG

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Having spent three years playing across from a Rhoads with the 4+3 SLS headstock, I think it actually looks better. But that's me. ;)

:agreed: I've always thought that headstock looked best on the V shapes. Especially a King V.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn....that looks great. Personally, I'm diggin' the reversed headstock. ;)

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Shannon said:
Damn....that looks great. Personally, I'm diggin' the reversed headstock. ;)

When I first saw that shape on the six string ProtoV he makes, I just knew I had to have it in a seven. I am a bit afraid of impailing my bassist, though, since he stands to the left of me and we are both pretty animated.

')