Lace Deathbar Installation?

Joshua_Bolling

Joshua_Bolling
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was thinking about buying the Lace Aluma Deathbar for my Schecter Omen 8. But I was wondering something, is the wiring route the same for EMGs?
If so, I don't know the difference between my wiring for my Schecter Omen 8 and an EMG wiring route. I'm confused because my pickups are the stock Diamond Plus "Actives", but I don't know if Lace pickups would work with my Omen 8.

Help please??!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

iloki

Reaction score
they'd work, but you'd have to redo the wiring. You'd need to install new pots along with the Lace pickups, because they're passives, and will not mesh well with the 25k pots for the EMG's.

celticelk

Reaction score
The Omen stock pickups are passive, not active. You might need to replace the pots, since Lace recommends a specific value that might not be what you currently have, but apart from that it should be a simple drop-in replacement.

iloki

Reaction score
whoops, sorry! I thought they were active since he mentioned EMG's

Joshua_Bolling

Joshua_Bolling
Reaction score
No the Diamond plus pickups that came with my Omen 8 are actives. And the pots read at 500k, which are good enough for Lace pickups. But what i was asking was, would Lace pickups beable to be wired with my Omen 8?

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
You specifically need 250k pots for the Lace pickups, and have the guitar re-wired for passive pickups (bridge ground)

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^No you don't, the original stereo will work fine because the ring is just connected to ground, the tip works the same. Most if not all barrel jacks are stereo and they find their ways onto a huge amount of passive guitars.

You specifically need 250k pots for the Lace pickups, and have the guitar re-wired for passive pickups (bridge ground)

I've heard anywhere between 250 and 500 have had decent results. Lace say 250, but I use higher impedance than normal usually myself anyway so would probably start with a 500.

wait, my bad they are passive. I think they just have a cover over the pickups, if i'm not mistaken.

It's not a cover, that's the pickup :lol: The magnets are exposed and everything. They don't work the same way as your average humbuckers.

celticelk

Reaction score
No the Diamond plus pickups that came with my Omen 8 are actives. And the pots read at 500k, which are good enough for Lace pickups. But what i was asking was, would Lace pickups beable to be wired with my Omen 8?

It should be a simple swap. You're replacing passive pickups with passive pickups (believe me, I've owned an Omen-8 - those are passive pickups), and they're the same size (or should be if you order the right model from Lace). Is there a specific problem you're worried about?

Joshua_Bolling

Joshua_Bolling
Reaction score
Well, what i'm mostly concerned about is the measure of the my pickups which are 4in, and the Lace pickups measurements. Would i go with the Lace deathbar 4.0?
But also one more thing, would the wiring be suitable for the Lace Deathbar for my Omen 8?
I think i've already asked this question.

celticelk

Reaction score
Yes, you'd go with the Deathbar 4.0. As I keep saying, you're replacing a passive pickup with a passive pickup, so there should be no weirdness with the wiring - unsolder the Schecter pickups and replace them with the Lace pickups using the same connections. If you're uncertain about this, I strongly suggest you take your guitar to a qualified tech, but as pickup replacements go, this should be reasonably straightforward.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Weird, I was told that 250k is the pot Lace suggests to use with their pickups in order for them to work, but if a 500k works then... I'm changing mine!

The wiring you have to replace is only the pickup wiring, you can leave your output jack as is, but the Lace has it's own color coded wiring (no quick connect)

It's very easy, don't over complicate it :p

Joshua_Bolling

Joshua_Bolling
Reaction score
Okay thanks you guys. I appreciate it, also thank you for dealing with my insecurities lol.
But hey, its better safe then sorry.
But I'm just making sure once more, my 500k pots will be okay for the Lace pickups? I'm just making sure,and my wiring is passive right? The reason I thought that my pickups were active was because they had the covers over top of them. I never took off the covers to see if it was active or if it was passive. Laziness I guess.

celticelk

Reaction score
Simple check: there's no access for a battery compartment on the back of the Omen-8. Is there a 9V battery in the control compartment? (Attached to the wiring harness, that is - a battery rattling around loose in there obviously doesn't count.) If there's no battery, your pickups are passive.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LACE recommends a 250k pot to tame the highs on an already bright pickup. A 500k pot would allow the pickup to become insanely bright.

Darkstar124

Strongman
Reaction score
I use 500K pots with my alumitones, and they sound just fine. Bright, yes, but not distastefully so. Just give it a shot! If ya don't like it, just bust your soldering iron out again and grab a 250K. Don't sweat it so much man. Good luck!

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to say go for the 250k. That's what I have on mine. I find it plenty bright, and I'm a person who really likes bright guitar sounds.

')