Lace pickups sound bad?

plsdeleteme

Reaction score
So I just finished soldering in a Lace Alumitone X-Bar 4.0 in the neck and a Lace Alumitone Deathbar 4.0 in the bridge of an Ibanez RG8. However, when I went to put away the soldering iron, I realized that the tip was missing, and must have melted into the solder, which explains why it looked odd. Also, there was a small amount of black slag that came out of the solder when it cooled. :scream:

I restrung the guitar and plugged it in to my Line 6 Spider III 75, and it worked, but I got a lot of static-y feedback that sounded like the amp had been turned on without anything plugged in, even with the amp's noise gate enabled, as well as this periodic static popping kind of noise. The low end was also very quiet on both clean and distorted channels.

Are the pickups the problem, or is it the solder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
So I just finished soldering in a Lace Alumitone X-Bar 4.0 in the neck and a Lace Alumitone Deathbar 4.0 in the bridge of an Ibanez RG8. However, when I went to put away the soldering iron, I realized that the tip was missing, and must have melted into the solder, which explains why it looked odd. Also, there was a small amount of black slag that came out of the solder when it cooled. :scream:

I restrung the guitar and plugged it in to my Line 6 Spider III 75, and it worked, but I got a lot of static-y feedback that sounded like the amp had been turned on without anything plugged in, even with the amp's noise gate enabled, as well as this periodic static popping kind of noise. The low end was also very quiet on both clean and distorted channels.

Are the pickups the problem, or is it the solder?
I'd check to make sure you properly grounded it, that the joints aren't "cold", and that you followed the right wiring diagram; you might've used another companies wiring diagram. Companies use different color schemes so it can possibly cause trouble.

')