Lack of 'Metal' Cycling Apparel

• Thread starter Vyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
There's a few of us mad bastards who are both metalheads and cyclists, has anyone had any luck with getting metal themed lycra that's not shit/designed by someone who clearly isn't a metalhead? Just been doing the rounds on google, looks like the only option is getting some custom stuff made.

Bearitone

Reaction score
There's a few of us mad bastards who are both metalheads and cyclists, has anyone had any luck with getting metal themed lycra that's not shit/designed by someone who clearly isn't a metalhead? Just been doing the rounds on google, looks like the only option is getting some custom stuff made.

I’m not a cyclist but, what about patches? Some bands do have patches as merch. In your case instead of putting it on a vest you’d be putting it on that spandexy thing cyclists wear

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I’m not a cyclist but, what about patches? Some bands do have patches as merch. In your case instead of putting it on a vest you’d be putting it on that spandexy thing cyclists wear
If you'd ever worn full cycling kit, you'd know this isn't a good idea at all, lol. Cycling gear is supposed to stretch, and supposed to be breathable. Patches do neither.

This is a little tricky because most metal clothing is black, and if you're riding on road you want to be clearly visible, so no black. :lol: I can't find it for sale online, but I have a buddy who rides in a "Mexican day of the dead" style jersey, but with the skull assembled out of bike parts, a white jersey with mostly black and red line art. That's a pretty cool jersey and reasonably metal.

Myself, I mostly stick to jerseys from rides I've done (which my Game of Thrones cycling buddy friends and I joke we payed the carbon price for them, making them metal), beer jerseys (which are always pretty metal), and fancy minimalist corksniffer jerseys (I've got some stuff from Ornot which I really like, and I have a Pactimo jersey from an organized ride I like enough that I've been eyeing one or two of their regular ones) which are decisively NOT metal. So, I guess I'm saying I've mostly given up. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MSS

Reaction score
OMG! I never thought to ask if there were fellow cyclists here. I got out on my bike last week and hope to again tomorrow. I have a Pinarello Prince that I built in 2012. I got the frame for a huge discount. I ride about 75-80 miles a week so not a pro lol by any means. I have fun with it though.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
If you'd ever worn full cycling kit, you'd know this isn't a good idea at all, lol. Cycling gear is supposed to stretch, and supposed to be breathable. Patches do neither.

This is a little tricky because most metal clothing is black, and if you're riding on road you want to be clearly visible, so no black. :lol: I can't find it for sale online, but I have a buddy who rides in a "Mexican day of the dead" style jersey, but with the skull assembled out of bike parts, a white jersey with mostly black and red line art. That's a pretty cool jersey and reasonably metal.

Myself, I mostly stick to jerseys from rides I've done (which my Game of Thrones cycling buddy friends and I joke we payed the carbon price for them, making them metal), beer jerseys (which are always pretty metal), and fancy minimalist corksniffer jerseys (I've got some stuff from Ornot which I really like, and I have a Pactimo jersey from an organized ride I like enough that I've been eyeing one or two of their regular ones) which are decisively NOT metal. So, I guess I'm saying I've mostly given up. :lol:

I'm a pretty terrible cyclist visibility wise as I'm usually always in all black haha, so if anything having a band logo on there is going to add some more colour :p

Twinsix have some alright designs, about the only ones I can find at the moment:

MetalSR19_F_f47452f8-e9e8-4fa7-90d6-b280fc1adc20_2048x2048.jpg

MSS

Reaction score
I've had a few close calls so I wear Hi Viz yellow and HiViz orange. Boring I know...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
OMG! I never thought to ask if there were fellow cyclists here. I got out on my bike last week and hope to again tomorrow. I have a Pinarello Prince that I built in 2012. I got the frame for a huge discount. I ride about 75-80 miles a week so not a pro lol by any means. I have fun with it though.
Hey, that's not half bad - on Strava I have a weekly goal of 75 in the offseason and 100 in the on-season (with an annual goal in years past of 3,000, which I'm upping to 5,000 this year), and if you're doing that kind of distance regularly, it adds up. My brother, who is a monster cyclist, swears consistency and just getting out there day after day matters way more than distance, and he's always been way faster than me so I've been following his lead on that, and riding 4-5 days a week I'm definitely seeing some real progress.

I'm on a '15, I think, Specialized Tarmac, but I want to drop from a 58 to a 56 (I have a Diverge 56 as well and it's super comfy) and grab something with discs, and, well, fiscal responsibility be damned, I've been eyeing the newly redesigned Venge hard.

And yeah - for visibility I mostly count on a tail light. I wear colored jerseys, but honestly that's as much for heat dissipation in the hot sun as it is for being seen. :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, I'd mentioned these guys earlier, but while they're not metal at ALL, I really dig Ornot's stuff - clean, minimalist, and with really intelligent design features. I have their Greyskull shell from a season or two back (which sounds way more metal than it is, they lited the color scheme from Castle Greyskull, lol - I grabbed the matchhing jersey as well and it's my go-to) and having a cold weather shell that zips from the bottom as well as the top is a total game-changer.

https://www.ornotbike.com/

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude theres nothing even remotely metal about riding a bike.

Abbath can be riding a bike and.......just......no.

Not badmouthing bike riding at all but just saying it can never be metal.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score

Rollerskating is hardcore though. :lol:

Whatever you decide to do, choose something bright. No use in getting run over by an absent minded driver, just to get metal credibility. There is the option of getting a custom design with glowing flame skulls perhaps, tacky but it will keep you safe.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I'm sorry. We can agree to disagree in the Politics and Current Events forum, maybe, but you're wrong, and you're a bad person for being wrong, and I feel sorry for you for not knowing better.

This is pretty fucking metal more or less by definition:

ccs-62657-0-05956900-1530367977.jpg

So is this, IMO the most amazing story from last year's Tour de France:
https://www.bicycling.com/tour-de-france/a22581028/lawson-craddock-lanterne-rouge/
arrival-lawson-craddock-of-the-united-states-and-team-ef-news-photo-993411062-1532800312.jpg

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm sorry. We can agree to disagree in the Politics and Current Events forum, maybe, but you're wrong, and you're a bad person for being wrong, and I feel sorry for you for not knowing better.

This is pretty fucking metal more or less by definition:

ccs-62657-0-05956900-1530367977.jpg

So is this, IMO the most amazing story from last year's Tour de France:
https://www.bicycling.com/tour-de-france/a22581028/lawson-craddock-lanterne-rouge/
arrival-lawson-craddock-of-the-united-states-and-team-ef-news-photo-993411062-1532800312.jpg
Haha yes. I will admit that bike does look metal \m/...................until you sit on it! I think its the person and the attire that ruins its metal appeal.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Haha yes. I will admit that bike does look metal \m/...................until you sit on it! I think its the person and the attire that ruins its metal appeal.
You're wrong, but if you can live with that, that's cool, I guess. :lol:
190204_sagan_1200x628.ashx

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
My other bike's a tank.

My other tank's a bike.

My other bike is also a bike, but I have a tank as well.

olejason

Reaction score
I had a few made from a seller on AliExpress. Total cost was around $25 per jersey including shipping. It took about a month to get them. Quality is on par with the $20-40 jerseys you find on Amazon and the like.

sleep1.jpg
sleep2.png

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't know if you can order these as non-competitors, and if you're riding around in a Rasputitsa jersey and you've never ridden Rasputitsa you're opening yourself to ridicule... But this year's music theme for Rasputitsa is ACDC, and they have a couple jerseys.

I'm not really an AC/DC fan, but I'm grabbing a t-shirt at least.