Lacquer / Clear Coat + Sanding question

• Thread starter samclarke669
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

samclarke669

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just finished swirling my old RG, looking great! I'm hopefully going to clear coat it at the weekend and just wondering if there's anything i'm missing.

I have some rattle-can lacquer, would this be good enough, or do i need to get something specifically for wood.

Also, after the Lacquer has been applied and dry, would it then be sanded with really fine wet&dry paper? I tried this on a guitar i was painting a few years back and it seemed to start taking the finish off?

Any help would be awesome

Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Overtone

Reaction score
Go to the stewmac website... I'm sure they'd have a guide for finish sanding. If you do it right you will move up to higher and higher sandpaper numbers. Then you may want to use some specialized polishes and swirl removers. A lot of this can be found in auto shop type places.

XBIGJIMX

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just finished swirling my old RG, looking great! I'm hopefully going to clear coat it at the weekend and just wondering if there's anything i'm missing.

I have some rattle-can lacquer, would this be good enough, or do i need to get something specifically for wood.

Also, after the Lacquer has been applied and dry, would it then be sanded with really fine wet&dry paper? I tried this on a guitar i was painting a few years back and it seemed to start taking the finish off?

Any help would be awesome

Cheers
the finish started coming off after you started sanding? if so it was cause you did not have enough clear built up before sanding and or were sanding to aggressively

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Yup, you need many coats of clear with plenty of drying time between coats before you start wet sanding. Work your way up through the grits slowly. Micro mesh pads are great for this- they go up to 2400 grit. Use plenty of water, wiping it clean and re-watering as you go.

The key to getting a beautiful gloss finish is patience. Slow and steady wins the race.

')