Laney GH100L

• Thread starter Loomer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I've just gotten an offer: A guy wants to trade my ESP M1 guitar, for his Laney GH100L amp head..

I never use the ESP (missing a string, ya know), and I need an amp BAD. Should I go for this or save up for another amp and sell the ESP as I go?

I need the amp for a heapin' helpin' of stoneriffic sludge-metal... Thrash'n'blues if you will.
Help me out here!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
well do you think its a fair trade?

if you need the amp and dont play the guitar, giv'r.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well the Laneys arent worth a whole lot on the open market but they are great amps. the GH100L is awesome. Go for it.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
The one that worries me, is the fact that it has only one channel, and "Needs a bias adjustment"

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Every amp needs a bias adjustment really. Thats an easy thing to do. Yeah ify ou're looking for a million channels and built in fx, get a POD. If you want an awesome rock/metal tone, the Laney will do it.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
arent those laneys 2 channels though? well try out the amp, and see if its worth it. only way to go about these things, really.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Well it's a one channel amp with a built in footswitchable gain boost.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
They may have one channel, but it's a very good sounding channel. They're loud as fuck too, anything over 3 on the volume just hurts.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Every amp needs a bias adjustment really. Thats an easy thing to do. Yeah ify ou're looking for a million channels and built in fx, get a POD. If you want an awesome rock/metal tone, the Laney will do it.

Effects? what the heck would I need that for?! :lol:
I will maybe use a tiny bit of chorus and delay but otherwise, I don't need or want effects, really. I just wanna RAWK!!!!

And the part about it being obscenely loud, REALLY tickles my fancy :evil:
After all, I have an ENGL to compete with.

Now which cab should I get?!

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Man, my GH50L will rip your balls off on 3, and shove em down your throat, it's so fucking loud. :lol: Small children will die nearby if you put it on 5 or 6.

AXEMASTER

Reaction score
I believe thats the same amp paul gilbert used on his new solo cd. Its called Get out of my yard, hes got a great rock tone.:hbang:

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
what ENGL do you have to compete with?

cant comment on the amp, sorry

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
what ENGL do you have to compete with?

cant comment on the amp, sorry

An older rackhead unit, with the pre- and poweramp built into one unit. Obscenely loud litte fucker, I tells ye.

AARRGGHHH

Fretboard Wizzard
Reaction score
Yeah, they are good sounding amps. I really liked my old one through my Cornford cab (v30's) made it nice and thick and punchy, didn't really like the Laney cab I got orignally, the top end was a little harsh.
IIRC they have changed the speakers in the matching cabs now so they may be a bit better.

rummy

maybe this year
Contributor
Reaction score
Another GH50L owner here. It's a fantastic amp as long as you don't need channel switching!

cradlefish

Reaction score
Laney are fantastic amps! You won't get alot of complaints on them. They're reliable, dependable, LOUD, and very tweakable!! They sound great!!

I would trade for it! Definitely! Unless like others here have mention..if you need two channels then you might want to think twice.

I need channel switching between clean and distorted tones so for me I'm using a VH100R. Incredible amp!!!

My experienced it sounds better than the new amps being made like

Orange Rockerverb series
Engl
Marshall
Mesa and etc.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Well, the deal is getting a bit delayed, due to me having to sell off my ESP instead :( But that amp still has my name on it! Yay :p

')