Laney Ironheart Problems.

• Thread starter AppreRamey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AppreRamey

Reaction score
Hey! I just received my Laney Ironheart IRT120 in the mail today and so far the head sounds absolutely amazing. I'm having one problem with it though; I can't figure out the clean channel. This sounds sounds silly, I know, but let me explain my confusion. The confusion is with the eq. Apparently each channel is supposed to have an independent eq, but the clean and rhythm share the eq settings. Every time I change something when on the clean channel, it affects the rhythm channel when I go back. How the hell am I supposed to eq this thing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
You're going to have to compromise, because it's not independent between the clean and rhythm/crunch channels. I EQ mine for the rhythm channel, then live with it with the cleans.

AppreRamey

Reaction score
Wow, really? That is extremely disappointing. I'm surprised in all of the videos I've looked up that this was never mentioned. It seems like that would be something everyone would be really annoyed about. If I knew that, I wouldn't have bought this head. quite possibly the dumbest move I've ever heard coming from an amp company

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, really? That is extremely disappointing. I'm surprised in all of the videos I've looked up that this was never mentioned. It seems like that would be something everyone would be really annoyed about. If I knew that, I wouldn't have bought this head. quite possibly the dumbest move I've ever heard coming from an amp company

:lol: It's actually really common in guitar amps.

AppreRamey

Reaction score
:lol: It's actually really common in guitar amps.
Haha oh damn, really? I guess I've just never ran into that. I've messed with Peavey and Mesa only before this, so I'm not that well versed. I still think that's a huge mistake though. I just think a good clean channel is far more important than a lead channel. Ooooh well

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
You can always try adjusting the volume and tone knobs on your guitar, they really help in these situations and I think it's silly as well that amp makers have shared EQ's on different channels, I think they should go the way some with practice amps go and have a save button where you can save your EQ settings.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Haha oh damn, really? I guess I've just never ran into that. I've messed with Peavey and Mesa only before this, so I'm not that well versed. I still think that's a huge mistake though. I just think a good clean channel is far more important than a lead channel. Ooooh well

So why not use the lead channel for your rhythm tones and keep the clean EQ'd the way you want? Channel names are just words, they can be dialed in differently. Personally, I feel clean eq isn't that important. :lol:

Peavey does it to though(ie: 6505, 6505+, Ultra+, etc.); and one of the most expensive amps out there, the Soldano SLO, has a shared EQ.

Off_The_Heezay

Reaction score
So why not use the lead channel for your rhythm tones and keep the clean EQ'd the way you want? Channel names are just words, they can be dialed in differently. Personally, I feel clean eq isn't that important. :lol:

Peavey does it to though(ie: 6505, 6505+, Ultra+, etc.); and one of the most expensive amps out there, the Soldano SLO, has a shared EQ.

What this guy said ^

Especially seen as the Ironheart has a built in boost. I have mine set up so that my rhythm channel is a 'dirty clean', then my lead channel is my main tone and I use the boost for any leads.

Jayd41

Reaction score

Did you do ANY research on this head before you purchased it?
A simple look at the front panel would have told you all of this.

In my experience with the amp, the clean channel is decent, but not amazing.
I also eq'ed my rhythm channel and just lived with the cleans that resulted.

If you are really into an unbelievable clean channel, I will suggest you look into the Mesa Lonestar. The drive channel of that amp will not do metal on it's own though.

viesczy

Reaction score
If it was a main gigging amp, I'd really be a steamed clam as I love having 3 channels true channels with their own controls to fiddle on. If it was my main amp and the fact that a 3120 new goes for the same prices as the 120 IRT, that's the amp--3120--I'd buy new. High gain and 3 channels.

Now my 5150 III 50 is only 2 sets of controls but "3" channels, but it isn't a main amp but a fun amp to keep at my GFs. I completely WISH it had 3 true controls as each of its channels on their own are spectacular.

The way I get around the shared controls on my 5150 III is that I have dialed in fantab tones (to my ears) for the gain channels (red/blue) and then use coil switching my guitar's volume knob to clean up the fuzz when on the green (clean) channel.

Derek

DrGand

Banned
Reaction score
My Engl fireball 100 has 2 channels, with a shared EQ.

But the clean sounds great with my EQ set for the distortion channel... Great amp, no matter where I put the knobs.
Just throwin in my experience with shared EQ's lol.

If you bought it new maybe consider returning it for something else?

Kaine

Reaction score
Does anybody else find the distortion on the Ironheart to sound weird?. Mine sounds a little clicky. Maybe it's my speakers cabinet? It's loaded with very old speakers from a dimebag warhead cab

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
Does anybody else find the distortion on the Ironheart to sound weird?. Mine sounds a little clicky. Maybe it's my speakers cabinet? It's loaded with very old speakers from a dimebag warhead cab

I have a Studio and, if anything, it's too smooth.

Latest posts

')