Laney Ironheart Studio 15W Rack Amp, 15W Mini Amp, and 15W TI Combo (New for 2013)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
I haven't tried the ironheart 60 or 120 (because there aren't any good guitar stores around here :'( ), but they sound spectacular from the demos I've heard. I'm on the fence between the 5153 50w or the ironheart, but if the irt-studio sounds just like it's bigger brethren, I think the ironheart wins. The recording capabilities are awesome on paper!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Hmm, probly no channel switching jacks like the head. Another custom cable problem for midi integration.

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
the studio is the most convenient thing that happened after axe fx and kemper.
-tube preamp
-tube power amp
-3 channels
-fx loop
-usb dry/wet out
-heaphone out/line out - no cab needed
-2U size
-and FFS a company that includes the fricking footswitch.
what one would possibly want? an fx modeler?

it blows away anything in its class - mesa mini recto & all the terrors & the v3m

If it also sounds like its larger brother it will be a killer
(people say that the 60w can get close to a 5150 and also have great cleans)

only downside is because of size it cannot feature 6L6.

I am searching for 6 months for a relatively cheap high gain under 50w because I will be skipping countries this year. I was considering the IRT 60 and a couple of boutique handwired 50ws, even the elevenrack and axe fx 1. Well thank God for laney, I am preordering one these days - hope thomann brings enough for all of us

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
Sounds like an Ironheart, and the extra features seem good and actually useful.

My only complaint is that it is only 15 watts! If they ever update the fullsize head to have these extra features I would upgrade as soon as possible.

you know, 15w can get pretty fucking loud. just saying:agreed:

Aztec

On a perennial quest
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the IRT Studio out yet, stores like andertons already have them in stock it seems.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
This is awesome! I only wish it had the VH100R pre-amp, it's even slightly better! (my god that resonance switch!)

They made something like that when the VH/GH series came out, back in the mid 90s. It was a mini combo called the Chrome-o-zone.

Blitzie

Reaction score
So, serious n00b question that I should almost definitely know the answer to; you use the rackmount exactly like you would a full size head, right?

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
the difference between irt and the usual rack is that it also has a power amp section.

so regard it as a lunchbox amp, with the USB features and all, in a rack format

viesczy

Reaction score
You know before I saw the rack mount, I was thinking on getting V3m just for a truly "little" amp to have to fiddle about on, but now the IRT studio is the same price. Talk about quandries! I am a Laney fanboy with both a VH100 and TT50... what to do/get?

Derek

Metaloaf

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a Roland quad-capture interface to start recording, and was also starting to look for a small tube head (5150 III most likely). But now with this!!! :scream:
I just want to be clear: Could the IRT studio accomplish what both of these would do? meaning, can it be a proper small tube head and interface as it is? or would an interface still be preferred over the IRT studio for recording purposes? Aside from the additional ins/outs on the interface, phantom power and preamp on an interface, would it still be 'sufficient' (for lack of a better word) to use the IRT studio as an interface if I'm only going to be recording one guitar with it?

I could always get an interface later for additional features, but just wanted to know how capable the IRT could be for recording purposes.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm unsure about needing another interface. I wonder how it'll work with a microphone if you plug into the amp with the USB out set dry.

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
Could the IRT studio accomplish what both of these would do? meaning, can it be a proper small tube head and interface as it is? or would an interface still be preferred over the IRT studio for recording purposes? Aside from the additional ins/outs on the interface, phantom power and preamp on an interface, would it still be 'sufficient' (for lack of a better word) to use the IRT studio as an interface if I'm only going to be recording one guitar with it?

From having seen it and talked to the developer at NAMM, if the one and only thing you ever want to do is to record the sound of the IRT into your computer, then yes, the IRT is the only interface you need to record your amp. You can turn the speaker emulation on or off via USB so that you choose to use speaker simulators in your DAW if you want.

One thing that might matter or might not relates to bit-depth and sample rate. Simon (the guy from Laney I spoke with) didn't know the precise bit-depth/sample rate of the chip but knew it was "standard." To me, that means that it's a USB class compliant audio interface (which makes sense, because they were showing it with an iPad running GarageBand which accepts any class compliant audio interface via its 30-pin or Lightning port). So that means that you're probably limited to 16-bit or 24-bit/44.1kHz or 48kHz audio. If that means nothing to you, then you have nothing to worry about. :) But if you ever wanted to record at 24-bit/96kHz (high resolution) for example, you'd need a different interface. However, since I didn't see the IRT plugged into a Mac or PC, I'm not 100% sure about that.

Orren

Aztec

On a perennial quest
Reaction score
I ordered a IRT Studio today, will probably take a couple of weeks until I recieve it, but I'll let you know about it. :)

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I ordered one at Thomann, probably where Aztec ordered his too, same delay to be expected.
Really don't need it but I haven't bought a shiny toy since owning an axe fx 2 and I had some money sleeping on Paypal.
A mini rackhead is really something interesting and at that price I can't resist.

I'm unsure about needing another interface
Well, imho it will come in handy if you want to record singing, I guess for bass you could use the IRT too.

I plan to try recording with it direct and through my SE100 and see what gives. (yay, keeping old gear for once was useful)
I'll also profile it for the axefx2 and compare all that stuff.

Aztec

On a perennial quest
Reaction score
I ordered one at Thomann, probably where Aztec ordered his too, same delay to be expected.
Really don't need it but I haven't bought a shiny toy since owning an axe fx 2 and I had some money sleeping on Paypal.
A mini rackhead is really something interesting and at that price I can't resist.

Well, imho it will come in handy if you want to record singing, I guess for bass you could use the IRT too.

I plan to try recording with it direct and through my SE100 and see what gives. (yay, keeping old gear for once was useful)
I'll also profile it for the axefx2 and compare all that stuff.

Yes, I'm getting it also from Thomann. They were in stock on monday, but yesterday already it showed that it would take a couple of weeks. Either their system was wrong or the first batch was pretty much sold out when it arrived.

Latest posts

')