Laney Ironheart Studio 15W Rack Amp, 15W Mini Amp, and 15W TI Combo (New for 2013)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
yes i prefer the di too.
about the noise i noticed that the guitar has to be kind of away from the unit. because of its size you could mistakenly put it on your desk in front of your guitar and it will interfere with your pickups. you should be at about 1m away to avoid that

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aztec

On a perennial quest
Reaction score
I did a little DI test to see how much of a noise difference there was between the IRT's dry DI and my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4's dry DI. The answer is, a pretty big difference.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Listening to all the demonstrations of the Ironheart, the dynamics knob definitely has an effect. It compresses the sound in an interesting way, making the attack of each note "thump" more, but it has that hard compression sound that i dislike. It seems many don't notice the effect though, which i find odd.

Aztec

On a perennial quest
Reaction score
Yeah I also don't understand how some people don't notice it. Turning it by a quarter makes a noticeable difference in my opinion.

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
i personally play through headphones or monitors. don't have a cab as i mentioned before

ViTAR

Reaction score
Tired of reading about using DirectX as input/output. Install ASIO4ALL and try with it, then post your results.
The same with all internal PC audio - only ASIO4ALL could help.

Aztec

On a perennial quest
Reaction score
Tired of reading about using DirectX as input/output. Install ASIO4ALL and try with it, then post your results.
The same with all internal PC audio - only ASIO4ALL could help.

Tried it, latency is ok, but it's quite noisy.

Boojakki

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying the IRT Studio. What would you recommend as a fitting 1x12 or better (?) 2x12 cab to go with it? Sorry, newb q but I only played mostly cheap combo amps till yet, but with the pre-ordering of a Jackson DKA7 7-stringer I thought I go with some decent amp for small club / home recording / 1 watts playing at home amp solution too. Thanks.

mindwalker

Reaction score
I played this little bad boy at a shop last weekend. Tried it with a 2x12 ENGL combo (V30s). I didn't spend much more than 5 minutes with it sadly cause the store was busy but I a few things stayed in my mind

1) This thing is LOUD! In 15 watts mode I had to keep it low to prevent public embarrassment. Even in 1 watt mode at about half volume the thing was screaming into uncomfortable bedroom levels.

2) It is easy to dial in a good lead / chugga tone.. all the knobs seem to react in some way. It got a bit shrill in the beginning until I lowered the treble a notch

3) Clean was good

4) The crunch channel didn't inspire me too much but I didn't spend much time with it

5) It's a very convenient little package for a very decent price! I might be very inclined to snatch one up, even without considering the USB recording and re-amping functions.. it's a pretty decent amp as it is.. costing only a little more than a Blackstar HT-5 and at the same price as a POD HD 500

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
there is no crunch channel on the irt studio, only clean without gain.

Boojakki, classically a 2x12 would be better. another classic choice is v30s on closed back cab. if you are in europe, the harley benton one is a bargain.

*update, yes it works fine with Asio for all.

mindwalker

Reaction score
there is no crunch channel on the irt studio, only clean without gain.

ok it's a bit confusing actually..
It's actually a Rhythm channel with a toggle to make it clean (by removing the rhythm volume and gain from the chain) or not (by keeping them).

In practice when I played the amp I felt like I had 3 channels... clean.. rhythm (by toggling the clean/rhythm switch) and then lead by toggling the lead channel.
Rhythm and clean are not fully independent as the eq is shared since it's in fact, all a rhythm channel.

but well you have the unit and I only played it for 5 mins so I may be wrong. I just checked the manual online now

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
ok it's a bit confusing actually..
It's actually a Rhythm channel with a toggle to make it clean (by removing the rhythm volume and gain from the chain) or not (by keeping them).

In practice when I played the amp I felt like I had 3 channels... clean.. rhythm (by toggling the clean/rhythm switch) and then lead by toggling the lead channel.
Rhythm and clean are not fully independent as the eq is shared since it's in fact, all a rhythm channel.

but well you have the unit and I only played it for 5 mins so I may be wrong. I just checked the manual online now

It is the same as the big head.

The footswitch will work like this

Rythm/clean is an A/B switch. They do share the same EQ on the amp, but volume is independent for each.

Lead is basically on/off. Meaning if lead is on, the amp is in Lead channel mode, if lead is off, the amp goes back to the rhythm/clean A/B switch.

Hope that makes sense!

Boojakki

Reaction score
Boojakki, classically a 2x12 would be better. another classic choice is v30s on closed back cab. if you are in europe, the harley benton one is a bargain.

Oh, thanks a lot for the tip, I never thought about that! :)

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
the clean channel can be pushed to overdrive either with its gain knob either with the booster section of the amp. leaving behind if its actually good or bad, try setting it at its maximum, the clean channel gets very convincingly vintagy stoner rock tone

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does the IRT Studio have solid state rectifier? Laney Ironheart IRT-Studio | Guitar Reviews | MusicRadar Then I'll cancel my order immediately. It's strange that it has 3 preamp valves btw. True hi-gain can be reached with only 4 preamp tubes.

:facepalm:

First most high gain heads do not use tube rectifiers, the only ones that do that immediately spring to mind are the Mesa Rectos. Second, well nevermind that last statement is too out of touch with reality to even address.

Acme

Reaction score
:facepalm:

First most high gain heads do not use tube rectifiers, the only ones that do that immediately spring to mind are the Mesa Rectos. Second, well nevermind that last statement is too out of touch with reality to even address.

I've spoken to amp bulders and they state that driving the gain channel with 3 tubes while providing a good sound is impossible. Only ones with 3 preamp tubes come to my mind are the Tiny Terror and the AC15, but they use some kind of wizardry. TT has a strange gain stage between the 2nd and 3rd tube. If you ask me how it sounds I'd say, pretty terrible.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Clearly you've never played a Tiny Terror then - they sound pretty ....ing awesome.

Latest posts

')