Laney Ironheart Studio 15W Rack Amp, 15W Mini Amp, and 15W TI Combo (New for 2013)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I've spoken to amp bulders and they state that driving the gain channel with 3 tubes while providing a good sound is impossible. Only ones with 3 preamp tubes come to my mind are the Tiny Terror and the AC15, but they use some kind of wizardry. TT has a strange gain stage between the 2nd and 3rd tube. If you ask me how it sounds I'd say, pretty terrible.

Peavey Valvekings, while not high-gain metal amps, when boosted can still pull of metal/djent very well. It has 3 preamp tubes.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've spoken to amp bulders and they state that driving the gain channel with 3 tubes while providing a good sound is impossible. Only ones with 3 preamp tubes come to my mind are the Tiny Terror and the AC15, but they use some kind of wizardry. TT has a strange gain stage between the 2nd and 3rd tube. If you ask me how it sounds I'd say, pretty terrible.

whosdealin

Reaction score
I just got one of these yesterday..I have a question for any any of the guys who have experience with it. Can I record via usb and listen through the studio monitors that are connected to my interface ? Basically I would like to record via usb and be able to hear what Im recording as well as everything else on the track (drums,bass etc).

So far I can achieve this by using the xlr output plugged into my interface , what Im wondering is if I can have the same results with just the usb connected to my computer.

SevenSkull

Reaction score
Yes you can, but it depends on the DAW you're using. You need to be able to use both the IRT and your other interface at the same time.

whosdealin

Reaction score
I am using a Mac and Recording with Logic.. Is it possible to use both the usb out and my interface at the same time without having to hook up the xlr out of laney ?

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
I am using a Mac and Recording with Logic.. Is it possible to use both the usb out and my interface at the same time without having to hook up the xlr out of laney ?

In Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio > Drivers you can select different drivers for Input Device and Output Device. Simply select your audio interface as your Output device and you should be good to go.

Orren

whosdealin

Reaction score
Logic Pro>Preferences ...but then I dont see anything labelled "drivers" I see "devices" and then I can select what I want the core audio to be but there isnt anything there for input and output.... Basically I want to make the usb out of the laney the input device and my interface the output.

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
Logic Pro>Preferences ...but then I dont see anything labelled "drivers" I see "devices" and then I can select what I want the core audio to be but there isnt anything there for input and output.... Basically I want to make the usb out of the laney the input device and my interface the output.

Are you using an ancient version of Logic? If you are using Logic Pro 9 (released four years ago now) there is absolutely the option for both input and output. See screenshot below.

If you are using an old version of Logic without the option in the screenshot, you can still make an "Aggregate Device" using the Mac OS X "Audio MIDI Setup" application in Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup. An aggregate device will let you take two devices and create one "composite" driver of both of them. Do a google search for how to use Audio MIDI Setup for more information.

Orren

Attachments

• Screenshot 6:1:13 10:55 AM-2.jpeg
    Screenshot 6:1:13 10:55 AM-2.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 15

AhnafKalam

Reaction score
So, I was thinking about getting one of these. Right now I have a VH100R from Laney, and it's the best head I've ever owned. I just need to downsize my rig for college. The main thing I was wondering about the IRT studio is how good the DI + cab emulation is for playing live going straight into the FOH. Anyone have any experience with that?

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
you can record via USB easily. it gives you a stereo channel. dry/wet signal

if you try to do that straight you'll get a lot of latency. you'll have to download ASIO4ALL to bring the latency down to lower but unusable level anyways (~40-80ms)

it get the work done, but it will screw up your monitoring settings if you use a sound card.

AhnafKalam, I only use my IRT in DI to sound card, for college reasons too, and I have to say is great and really convincing.
you can even disable Cab emulation, and run it through Guitar Rig cab sims with impulses of your choice.

Evil Weasel

Reaction score
So did ANYONE pickup the IRT15H? I got a cracking deal on one so shall be getting one next week. I wanted the IRT studio but figured I'd have a go on the single channel one first to see if I like it. Plus I can make use of it as a poweramp for my AMT's so if I don't like it can always try it there.

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
the Studio has a power amp too.
don't invest on a single channel one except if its 30% of the price of the studio

you cannot imagine how great of a tool for recording moving around, practicing and giging the irt studio is.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
True hi-gain can be reached with only 4 preamp tubes.

This is straight-up ....ing ridiculously erroneous info man.

Here is your typical 12AX7 triode assignment:

V1: Input driver & first gain stage
V2: Tonestack & second gain stage
V3: Phase Inverter

Any higain amp using only 3 12AX7 is going to cascade the gain from the 1st gain stage into the second, in fact it's really the only to get higain as each stage doesn't have enough gain on it's own.

Designs like the Blackstar HT5 only use 1 12AX& and are still higain, they do this by using op-amps to replace the less essential bits (as far as tone is concerned: input drive & PI). In that, the 1st gain stage cascades into the second within the same 12AX7.

Your typical 4 or more 12AX7 amp is using a different methodology so that the different channels are using different 12AX7s.

The Mark IV for instance has a 12AX7 that pretty much just lives for the Clean channel while two others make up the gain staging for channels 2 & 3. Then you have V1 Input driver and V5: Phase Inverter.

On a related note, almost all modern higain amps use diode rectification as it offers a tighter feel as opposed to the spongier feel from tube rectification.

SevenSkull

Reaction score
Mordacain is right.

Even my ENGL E530 Preamp can reach saturated high gain with only two preamp tubes. There are some op-amps , but used only for the loop and headphone ouput.

BTW: the E530 sounds very good through the power amp of my IRT15 Studio :yesway:

Bladed-Vaults

Broceidon
Reaction score
I just picked up the studio about a week ago. Its a sweet little amp. I haven't played with anything but channel 3.
Someone above said its aimed at the 5150 group. And I agree. BUT its still seriously british. I want to say its like a 5150 and a jvm had a lovechild? It has that marshally bite with the tightness of a 5150/6505 variant. An interesting (in a good different way) high gainer.

At the moment I'm only using the xlr with emulation into my profire 610.

Is there a way to run xlr and line to a cab and mic it? . I'd like to try n get both tones goin or play with it at least. Maybe buy a little orange 1-12 with a v30 in it. Any info on this idea before I soend cash on a cab?

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
XLR is unusable with a cab

either you hook a cab to the cab outs of the amp, or if you have a combo which doesn't have a direct input for the speaker (bypassing the amp) you could hook them up via their effect loops

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
So are these as good as people have hyped? At least the head version sounded awesome when I saw Killswitch live earlier this year but other people have told me that the rack version sounds god awful, especially when just connected to a computer.

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
i, personally, am fully satisfied for what I paid - usining it mostly through my interface via XLR with the cab simulation on (although you can use leCab instead)

i needed something to play/record/late night practice and still be able to hook up to a cab and jam. not lack gain and be tight.

featurewise it can't be beat.
soundwise i, personaly (again) believe that it's great here also.

mind you that its behaviour on XLR is different from using a cab. using XLR's you can crank the volume knobs making it great for distorted channels but not so usable if you want a crystal clean on channel 1. it can be fixed if you raise the playback volume from interface/DAW

')