Laney Vh100r or Marshall JVM410H for shred?

• Thread starter ShredBaron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShredBaron

Reaction score
I wanted to ask some of you all that know a little about these amps. I am asking in particular those who have owned or played both of these amps. I recently bought a 6505+ in mint condition and while it is a great amp, I realize it is not for me, It is way to heavy and not clear enough and the clean channel is really bad, I do think it is a GREAT amp but it does not have what I am looking for . I am more into the Paul Gilbert, SRV, Petrucci,Yngwie,Friedman,Becker,Lynch,Van Halen tones as well as some modern sounds because and my style leans more this way then some of the bands who are endorsing the 6505. I played a Marshall Jvm 410 H and I was able to get pretty good sweep and lead sounds that were pretty clearn and sounded good.I was surprised because I have owned a Marshall Jubilee and to me it was a classic rock amp. I bought back in like 1988. I heard Vinnie Moore playing a Laney back in the 1980s at a guitar show and I was not impressed so I wrote them off. A couple of days ago I found this clip on You Tube for the Laney Amp VH100r and it blew me away. It has the level of clarity that I want. I Am not playing the brutal stuff and I would never need anything heavier sounding then say the guitar sounds you would hear in these bands like "Dream Theatre","Stratovarius", "Symphony X",Hammerfall","Dream Evil" ,"Adagio","Rage","Megadeth" well you get the idea.

I play blues and jazz as well. I Like the Marshall I played at the guitar center but is was noisy in the od2 channel when turned up (very noisy, but my ISP decimator in the front or loop should fix it I think ).I was able to get close to the Laney clearness with that amp. The clean was nowhere near as good as the Laney that is on this clip. I know that there are members here who have been through 20 times the amps I have. I do not know if I can find this VH100R without dropping $1500. I found a used one on ebay yesterday for like $900 plus but it does not look very well taken care of. The guy selling said he is getting rid of it because he has a EVH endorsment of something. I think I have seen this amp on ebay before over the last year or so I think. It looks pretty rough but he has a 7 day return policy. They said on the notice it has not been used much.

Here is the link to the VH100R on ebay I was thinking about getting

Laney Guitar AMP VH100r with Footswich - eBay (item 250666826738 end time Aug-13-10 21:24:45 PDT)

My questions are

1. Which would you recommend between the Laney VH100r or The Marshall 410H for the type of playing and sounds I have listed?

2. Are there any other Laney amps that do these styles and sounds as well as the VH100R? I would like a 50 watt amp that is exactly the same as this one

I appreciate your opinions and experience. I am tired of buying gear.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I think they may have a 50 watt version of the Laney, but I'm not sure. You should check out Laney's website and see. I wouldn't go for an amp that looks tore up, though.

Someone [can't remember the name] on HCAF loves Laney's and I think has the VH100R. I would ask there as well.

Enselmis

Reaction score
Whoever the guy in the video is, he's a fantastic player.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Laney made a VH50, also. Since you seem to like the VH100, but want 50watts, I think that'll be perfect.

I've been GASing for a VH50 for a loooooooong time.

SargeantVomit

CIRRHOSIS THRASH
Reaction score
Yeah the Laney slays, I almost bought a GH100L but didn't want to shell the extra cash and be stuck with a single channel amp I probably would have been happier with because that crunchy tone is sooooo good and I never really use my clean channel dry.

JoeMalov

Reaction score
Go with the Laney. Paul Gilbert used to have the VH100's as his main heads, and his tone during that era (modern day Racer X and a few solo albums) was unbelievably good.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Go with the Laney. Paul Gilbert used to have the VH100's as his main heads, and his tone during that era (modern day Racer X and a few solo albums) was unbelievably good.

Gilbert is actually the main reason I ever played a VH100 in the past. Before that, I would have just ignored it if I saw it in a store.

JoeMalov

Reaction score
Gilbert is actually the main reason I ever played a VH100 in the past. Before that, I would have just ignored it if I saw it in a store.

Same here man. I never even heard of Laney until I read that he used them. Opened my eyes to the whole world of high class amps, hahaha.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
Laneys are nice and fucking LOUD!
Gilbert used one as mentioned above. Mastodon used em for a while.

JVM- Satriani is currently using them so....

youll probably get more options with the JVM
but thats my opinion.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't forget Opeth boarded the Laney train a long time ago.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Both Stratovarius(Destiny) and Adagio(Sanctus Ignis) have used Laneys in the past. Kiko Loureiro is using them again as well.

That VH100R vid you posted is boosted with an SD-1. That's Stephen from Collibus, he's am member here. A good OD boost pedal and an EQ in the loop will get you a lot of different tones out of a VH100R.

Laney only makes 3 50 watt heads:

GH50L-> Single channel, the gain one from the VH100R
TT50H-> 3 channels and supposedly more modern voiced on the lead channel.
LH50-> I dunno about this one, it's made in China though. :shrug:

Since you need a clean channel, I would shoot for a VH100R or one of the TT heads. As for compared to the Marshall, I've never played through a JVM, so I can't say.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
Laney only makes 3 50 watt heads:

GH50L-> Single channel, the gain one from the VH100R
TT50H-> 3 channels and supposedly more modern voiced on the lead channel.
LH50-> I dunno about this one, it's made in China though. :shrug:

Add the VH50 to your list (as I've stated before).

These people have played it:
Laney GH50L: Harmony Central User Reviews

Oddly enough, there's almost no information online about it. I have found that it's identical to the VH100, but half the wattage (duh), and it's a combo.

Someone please tell me (and show proof), if the VH50 exists or not. :scratch:

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Such a hard option.

I owned and LOVED the Vh100R and I now own a Marshall JVM410H which I LOVE.

I chose the JVM because of its versatility and ability to sound super aggressive, more aggressive than the Laney.

If you want something simply and great then the Laney.

If you want something with midi capabilities, silent recording, the ability to store your channel options and sound great, then the JVM.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Add the VH50 to your list (as I've stated before).

These people have played it:
Laney GH50L: Harmony Central User Reviews

Oddly enough, there's almost no information online about it. I have found that it's identical to the VH100, but half the wattage (duh), and it's a combo.

Someone please tell me (and show proof), if the VH50 exists or not. :scratch:

The VH50 doesn't exist. There was a VC50, which is the VH preamp in a 50 watt combo..

VH = Valve Head
VC = Valve Combo

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, just seen you play Jazz, then I'd said Laney. Cleans of the Laney is slightly better than the Marshall Cleans.

MrRedRaider

Reaction score
Its not that big of a difference though. I have been playing Laneys the majority of the time I have played guitar, and a Laney with a good boost will get any Opeth tone. Laneys do have a fizz or fuzz to them, not sure how the guy in that video got his that clean. Could be the combo of tubes, but who knows without him posting. Mine gets any tone out there in my opinion. Great amp, extremely versatile which is why I have always come back to Laney.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I have a Laney GH50L and have seen a good few people using other Laneys in person. They are really nice amps and I love the sound from mine for some stuff, I used it live for a few years playing prog metal. The VH would be better for you because it's got more channels and switching options. Laney amps are definitely not for everyone though, I'd strongly suggest you get to try one out for a good bit before you decide on what you want.

Latest posts

')