Laptop Dead

• Thread starter MIL8
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MIL8

Reaction score
I have a Dell laptop that will not power on at all, no lights nothing. I know the power supply is good, and I've tried 2 different ones that I know are good, same result. I've also tried removing the battery, same result.

Anything else I can try or is it just gone?

Thanks!

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Likely just gone at this point. Sounds like an issue routing power through the Motherboard. You could look online to see if there are any jumpers on the board to see if it could be a power button issue in the housing. But more often than not, its the board.

wankerness

Reaction score
The last times I've dealt with this issue on a Dell latitude and it had nothing to do with the battery:

1) The person was insistent it was a problem with the computer but as soon as I went over there I found their power strip was off.
2) Connector to charger had been twisted by them smashing down the charger connection while it was plugged in, opening it up, taking it off the mobo and putting it back on fixed it
3) Motherboard was f'd. Depending on the model and whether it's under warranty you might be able to get a replacement from them.

Oh, you bumped a post from over a month ago! I will post anyway in the very unlikely event he didn't do anything yet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Descent

Reaction score
Take out the battery, unplug the power supply. Hold the power button steady for about a minute, reconnect PS and try again.

If you want to get super wild you can disassemble the PC and remove and test/replace the mobo battery.
Look up for disassembly videos, most likely you'd find a "how to" on taking it apart.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
The last times I've dealt with this issue on a Dell latitude and it had nothing to do with the battery:

1) The person was insistent it was a problem with the computer but as soon as I went over there I found their power strip was off.
2) Connector to charger had been twisted by them smashing down the charger connection while it was plugged in, opening it up, taking it off the mobo and putting it back on fixed it
3) Motherboard was f'd. Depending on the model and whether it's under warranty you might be able to get a replacement from them.

Oh, you bumped a post from over a month ago! I will post anyway in the very unlikely event he didn't do anything yet.

Yeah, if someone is coming here for an answer about computers, I imagine that they don't have many resources let alone the cash to take it to a tech to look at it just to see what is wrong. I'd rather get yelled at for the necro-bump than see someone get frustrated about an easily solved issue.

Definitely find a tear down video though. They can be really helpful. I still use them for unfamiliar machines. Especially laptops, where everything is ALWAYS different. There's plenty good advice here. Once you've tried the power management reset mentioned above (removing the battery and holding the power button) and it still doesn't power on, I'd be willing to wager actual cash that its the motherboard. You can generally find them cheap refurbished, and teardown/rebuild will take about an hour of your time. Just make sure you aren't staticy when touching the new board. You can blow holes in the traces with static discharge you can't even feel. Not super likely, but just good practice. And make sure you're grounded.