Laptop vs Quad Cortex

• Thread starter kentheterrible
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
However, I'm not sure why you'd want to go for a Macbook Air; the whole "Macs are for creatives" is a bit of a meme that doesn't necessarily hold up in my experience. I'm not saying that from some anti-Apple point of view, I'm thoroughly in the Apple ecosystem but also use Windows and Linux regularly, too. You can probably get a significantly more powerful laptop for the money, even if you go for one of the other premium brands like Dell XPS or Lenovo Thinkpad. Also, contrary to above, I've seen there have been compatibility issues with Apple silicon and so would be apprehensive about getting an M1/2 Mac until it is thoroughly supported.
Support is definitely a concern with the newer processors, but I think the majority of larger companies have drivers out for them now and updated software. It's probably safe to assume that, since they're on the 2nd generation of these processors now, if a company hasn't come out with an updating supporting it yet, they probably never will.

That said, I definitely disagree with being able to buy something more powerful with a Dell or Lenovo. I own a 13" M1 MBP and a 16" i9 MBP both with 16GB of RAM, a Dell Precision 5570 with an i9 and 32GB of RAM and an MSI GS76 with an i7 and 32GB of RAM. Only the i9 MBP can potentially out perform the M1 and only because it has more RAM, otherwise the M1 puts the rest to shame and does it with 10 hours of battery life under heavy load all day.

To say I love the M1 Mac is an understatement. That processor is a beast and the battery life on it is freaking AMAZING. The fan rarely turns on and, if it does, it's not anywhere close to as loud as the other laptops. The i9 MBP sounds like it's taking off into orbit 24/7, gets insanely hot and doesn't even have half the battery life. The MSI, I actually love - build quality on its shell isn't the greatest, it's pretty thin, but as far as power, it's pretty awesome for gaming and I like the keyboard better than the others. The Dell... is a piece of shit :lol: Seriously, nothing but issues with that thing and it has the highest specs of all of them, yet benchmarks far under it's capabilities. I had to replace the whole Thunderbolt card like 3 months after getting it - it would no longer charge through it, I also had to replace the battery at about 8 months and it's battery maybe lasts 2 hours. It also has the worst keyboard ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dspellman

Reaction score
I see you're up for spending a couple of grand for a bedroom setup.

Just in case there's someone out there who's NOT looking to spend that kind of coin but who still wants high-quality gear, lemme propose something:

A Line 6 HD500X can be had on our local Craigslist for around $250-275. The computer editing suite will allow you to work OFF the unit itself and it's a lot easier to work with. I'm not a huge fan of the cabinets in the HD500X, so I have a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. (not the newer C.A.B./M or M+). The C.A.B. uses IRs, but it's actually a collection of IRs for each cabinet, along with choices of microphones and distances (and you can run two mikes per cab, etc.). Leagues beyond a single cabinet IR. Those are also relatively cheap on Craigs because they're not the latest version. But wait, there's more. The C.A.B. also includes tube amp sims (EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT88, etc.) that really make a difference, and there's a really nice reverb setup as well. I use this C.A.B. with my Helix as well -- it's that noticeable. So the 500X and the C.A.B. will run well under $500 and will be spectacular and well past what you'll get with the Quad Cortex.

A set of AKG240s or Sony 7506s will provide studio-quality headphones in the $100-125 range. A pair of KRK Rokit 8's and stands can be had used for $250-350 and are optimized for small-room listening at 6-8'. Plenty of bottom end available if you're looking for that.

The computer alternative? I have an M1 MacBook Air (minimum spec) that's phenomenal and was somewhere between $800-900 when purchased. I actually use it for a keyboard system running MainStage via MIDI and it's way more than enough. But I have no interest in using it for guitar. By the time you get the various hubs and cables and adapters sorted, it would be a PIA. It's bad enough now with the keys setup. Nope.

dspellman

Reaction score
I'm thinking a refurb M1 MBA, they're like $1k which isn't crazy high imo for a computer that very compatible with other tech thingies we've got in the house and my wife could use. I absolutely will not argue against the value proposition of pure power per dollar, I know Mac gets destroyed the and PC is king.
I recently tossed four (!) Lenovo laptops with big screens. Lots of "value for the buck," I guess, but something (a lot of things) were just missing. I got tired of putting fan systems under them because they powered way down when they got hot, which was always. Unless you wanted blisters on your thighs, you never actually used them on your lap. And they were just heavy.

The new laptop is the M1 MacBook Air. Turns out these things outperform earlier MacBook Airs that were Intel-based by a country mile. They don't heat up, they don't go in to thermal shutdown, they don't slow down because they're on battery rather than plugged in (where's that "power per dollar" when that happens?). I bought the thing assuming that this would get me by for light business use (so I got the minimum spec) until I figured out what I wanted in a MacBook Pro. Turns out that the stupid little thing has astounding performance and I have to rethink the whole MacBook Pro thing. And there's no way I'd go with a Windows laptop from the current offerings available.

dspellman

Reaction score
PODx3–>IR loader—>Your new fancy laptop
|
V
Behringer midi FB
|
V
Oh look extra money!!
There's the Pod HD bean out there, too. Don't need a Behringer MIDI FB (a bit of a PIA to program) since Line 6 has the FBV Express and Shortboards available for cheap (especially on the used market, where they're about half price) and they're already integrated.

kentheterrible

cheer up emo kid
Reaction score
I see you're up for spending a couple of grand for a bedroom setup.

Just in case there's someone out there who's NOT looking to spend that kind of coin but who still wants high-quality gear, lemme propose something:

A Line 6 HD500X can be had on our local Craigslist for around $250-275. The computer editing suite will allow you to work OFF the unit itself and it's a lot easier to work with. I'm not a huge fan of the cabinets in the HD500X, so I have a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. (not the newer C.A.B./M or M+). The C.A.B. uses IRs, but it's actually a collection of IRs for each cabinet, along with choices of microphones and distances (and you can run two mikes per cab, etc.). Leagues beyond a single cabinet IR. Those are also relatively cheap on Craigs because they're not the latest version. But wait, there's more. The C.A.B. also includes tube amp sims (EL34, EL84, 6L6, KT88, etc.) that really make a difference, and there's a really nice reverb setup as well. I use this C.A.B. with my Helix as well -- it's that noticeable. So the 500X and the C.A.B. will run well under $500 and will be spectacular and well past what you'll get with the Quad Cortex.

A set of AKG240s or Sony 7506s will provide studio-quality headphones in the $100-125 range. A pair of KRK Rokit 8's and stands can be had used for $250-350 and are optimized for small-room listening at 6-8'. Plenty of bottom end available if you're looking for that.

The computer alternative? I have an M1 MacBook Air (minimum spec) that's phenomenal and was somewhere between $800-900 when purchased. I actually use it for a keyboard system running MainStage via MIDI and it's way more than enough. But I have no interest in using it for guitar. By the time you get the various hubs and cables and adapters sorted, it would be a PIA. It's bad enough now with the keys setup. Nope.
That might be an interesting way to dip my toes back into the digital modeler world. I'll look for an opportunity there.

laxu

Reaction score
The new laptop is the M1 MacBook Air. Turns out these things outperform earlier MacBook Airs that were Intel-based by a country mile. They don't heat up, they don't go in to thermal shutdown, they don't slow down because they're on battery rather than plugged in (where's that "power per dollar" when that happens?). I bought the thing assuming that this would get me by for light business use (so I got the minimum spec) until I figured out what I wanted in a MacBook Pro. Turns out that the stupid little thing has astounding performance and I have to rethink the whole MacBook Pro thing. And there's no way I'd go with a Windows laptop from the current offerings available.
Yeah the power efficiency of the Apple M1/2 CPUs is something else.

The reasons to consider the Pro models, especially the 14" one, over the Air are these:
  • Apple charges excessively for any RAM and disk drive upgrades and you cannot change these later because they are not removable. So if you want a fairly standard 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD, instead of getting an upgraded Air M2 you would be better off spending a bit more for the base model M1 Pro 14" as it has a lot of other stuff that is better.
  • External display support. If you need dual displays like I do, then the Pro machines are pretty much the only option because the M2 Air does not support more than one external display no matter what.

James Freeman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been thinking about getting a better bedroom setup for jamming.

In my personal opinion;
For a bedroom setup it is a total waste of money to buy anything NDSP at this point, software or hardware.
Check IK Multimedia bundle that includes Amplitube 5 and ToneX (Captures), you'll get FAR more feature rich and mature software and Capturing capability.
Their most complete bundle: AXE I/O + AmpliTube 5 MAX + TONEX MAX Bundle for 450$, that leaves you with more than enough for a great laptop.
But as other have said, you are tied to your laptop/computer.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMHO spending 2K for bedroom jamming through headphones is an overkill, moreover as you'll realize it's not fun - at least not as fun as playing in front of a real tube amp or a modeling device -> FRFR, even at low volumes (not to mention the potential hearing damage after a long time using the headphones this way). If it's the only way (headphones), there are cheaper modeling solutions as mentioned already.

If the priority is the recordings I'd go for the PC & audio interface solution. If it's the low volume bedroom practicing I'd go for a small & easy to carry around high gain tube amp (like for example the Marshall DSL1C :hbang: ), or I'd utilize the tube amps you already own through a nice reactive load attenuator as mentioned above. If you focus on learning songs and advance your playing skills, a tube amp is the way, as it doesn't forgive or hide mistakes & it has zero latency of course and pushes you to develop your picking dynamics, not to mention it keeps you focused on guitar playing with minimum distrations...

dspellman

Reaction score
Yeah the power efficiency of the Apple M1/2 CPUs is something else.

The reasons to consider the Pro models, especially the 14" one, over the Air are these:
  • Apple charges excessively for any RAM and disk drive upgrades and you cannot change these later because they are not removable. So if you want a fairly standard 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD, instead of getting an upgraded Air M2 you would be better off spending a bit more for the base model M1 Pro 14" as it has a lot of other stuff that is better.
  • External display support. If you need dual displays like I do, then the Pro machines are pretty much the only option because the M2 Air does not support more than one external display no matter what.
As I mentioned, at some point a MacBook Pro is likely in my future.
The MacBook Air has changed my thinking, however, about how I'd spec.it, simply because the M1 chip and the way it uses memory and works so much cooler and saves so much battery is such a different animal. There's also this: I'm using 2 TB and up SSD chips in my hub now, so I really don't need all that much SSD space on the computer itself. In the past I'd have maxed out a Windows laptop, but the Apple silicon has changed that game.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have a PC i built back in 2009 as well as ancient audio interfaces (firepod/fp10) and i play with undetectable latency. It will not be an issue, drivers are down to hardware level latency in the last decade or more
Another data-point: I was using a Pi4 running PatchBoxOS, with a PreSonus ADC box. I couldn't detect any latency with the regular playing/pedalboards I was using.

ExpatZ

Reaction score
Laptop, for a couple hundred you can have several NDSP amp plugins and a Headrush FRFR.
I do that now myself and will be using it to play out with as well.
Key is low latency on the interface, I use a presonus Quantum because it is basically 3ms latency through the DAW.
Several things make this superior, first the new NDSP plugins sound and feel like a real tube amp. Period.
They nailed it.
With a DAW you can immediately just hit record and you are on.
With a DAW you have infinite possibilities for effects placement and processing, something you will never get with a tube amp or modeler.
With a Quantum interface you'll have enough inputs to record an entire band.
Did I mention the plugins are cheap in comparison?
In a DAW you can mix two or more amp plugins to get tones that a typical amp guy will never get outside a studio.
Headphone jamming is no different than IEM as used on most stages these days and with plugins like Waves Abbey Road it feels more natural than IEM.
For a computer based setup if you take the time to set it up right and use a good stable platform you'll have far more options and far better tone than the traditionalist who thinks having his pant legs waving and on axis treble spike is a superior sound.
No tubes, something that with the current hate Russia climate are going to become rather rare and very expensive in the coming years.
That's my recommend, take it or leave it.

Voodoo Marshall

Reaction score
On latency specifically, that's what I see as the potential worst outcome, losing the touch response. I haven't found a review on that particular topic. I would imagine a well spec'd M2 machine with a nice DAC should be pretty damn close to what a QC will do. Am I giving the laptop setup too much credit?
I have a 2018 MacBook Pro running 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 and 16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 RAM with an Audient Sono (guitar oriented i/o). No latency, none. Running a number of Neural amps and DAW recording through either GB or Logic. Prob some latency but undetectable to my ear. I think the native USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 connection to the Sono makes a huge difference. BTW, the laptop exists for work and life and music...not sure I would buy one to be the hub of my rig if that's the laptop's only gig.

EDIT: By the way, just my experience. The QC is an awesome piece of gear from what I've heard (my Neural experience w/ the plug-in's is beyond great) and as others have said, there are many small footprint amp modelers that would work as would a power soak of some sort (I have a Bugera for my Marshall JCM800 50w). One final thought, you do not want to be in headphones as the only way to jam. Your ears will fatigue well before wanting to play will.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I spent the money on the Helix and that's what I use. But I admit playing with an interface and plugins is a lot more fun and convenient, because you can use any plugin you want in your signal chain. There are some really good sounding VSTs that sound better than the Helix. Amps, delays and reverbs especially. And being able to tweak your tones and FX in real time is the shit. Having to reamp and rerecord everything sucks. They only thing is the latency stuff, Helix has none. So you want a really good computer and interface if you're going to do the plugins thing. Being in a foreign country with a weak laptop and regular interface was what drove me to buy the Helix in the first place.

ExpatZ

Reaction score
Oh, one more thing: If you are serious about going out with it you WILL need a motherboard you can disable C states on from the BIOS, you'll get clicking noise from processor core state changes otherwise and I don't know if Mac can do that. Be sure to check.
At home for for just playing or recording you won't notice that much so any old box you dig is good to go as long as it has the power to handle all the plugins you spit at it.

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ll likely just go with a MacBook of some type but that’s a good point.
Another data point: I’m using a late 2013 iMac that I upgraded to an SSD and 16GB of RAM.

I have a semi terrible Presonus Audiobox USB 96 (I say semi terrible because the headroom on it is not enough for my EMG pickups - I just turn the volume down on that guitar). I’ll upgrade the interface at some point.

I have the Neural DSP Gojira archetype.

Total cost into Rig is about $550 (about $180 to upgraded/fixed old imac, $100 for interface, $79 for NDSP archetype Black Friday sale, $50 headphones, $100 3.5” studio monitor speakers).

No noticeable latency, NDSP is very touch sensitive, I’m going to get the Cory Wong archetype next. My rig is not even close to top of the line, and it runs my DAW (studio one 5) and the plug ins perfectly.

Only change I would make is to get a nicer USB C audio interface.

SpinalTap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just gonna throw this in there, as you might get a kick out of it - one of my favourite uses for my QC is plugging it into the FX loop return of my Engl Powerball, and using 'head only' captures. It sounds and (more importantly) feels legit, and I essentially now have almost all the amps. It works fine with headphones, but when you have the chance to play with volume, it does amp-in-the-room really well.

kentheterrible

cheer up emo kid
Reaction score
Just gonna throw this in there, as you might get a kick out of it - one of my favourite uses for my QC is plugging it into the FX loop return of my Engl Powerball, and using 'head only' captures. It sounds and (more importantly) feels legit, and I essentially now have almost all the amps. It works fine with headphones, but when you have the chance to play with volume, it does amp-in-the-room really well.
That’s another option. Cool!

ExpatZ

Reaction score
Another data point: I’m using a late 2013 iMac that I upgraded to an SSD and 16GB of RAM.

I have a semi terrible Presonus Audiobox USB 96 (I say semi terrible because the headroom on it is not enough for my EMG pickups - I just turn the volume down on that guitar). I’ll upgrade the interface at some point.

I have the Neural DSP Gojira archetype.

Total cost into Rig is about $550 (about $180 to upgraded/fixed old imac, $100 for interface, $79 for NDSP archetype Black Friday sale, $50 headphones, $100 3.5” studio monitor speakers).

No noticeable latency, NDSP is very touch sensitive, I’m going to get the Cory Wong archetype next. My rig is not even close to top of the line, and it runs my DAW (studio one 5) and the plug ins perfectly.

Only change I would make is to get a nicer USB C audio interface.
Same here at first except on a Win machine, so I replaced it with a Quantum 2626 and all is gold now.
Been using the TK Imperial mk II, Soldano and Fortin NoName plugins, superb every one.
The Rabea is my next one just for the synth it has, soooo much fun.

Latest posts

')