Late NGD – ’90 Spanish/Japanese Superstrat (+ Video & Recordings)

Reaction score
I scored this Fernandes FR-85 MIJ mid November after facing a huge writer’s block of 5 months. I wanted a new instrument to get inspired to play guitar and write music again. This guitar is from 1991 and I think, has been built in the same factory as my 1991 RG550. The neck and the finish look and feel exactly the same on both guitars, the build quality is similar as well.

The Fernandes is a lightweight guitar, the body shape is a bit smaller than an Ibanez body and the neck is thinner than my RG550’s neck. It is very comfortable and easy to play, the frets had a bit of wear when I received the guitar and I had to polish them, it now feels perfect.

The previous owner changed the original bridge for a licensed Floyd rose, while I wasn’t expecting anything from it, it appears it’s as reliable as any of the tremolo bridges I got on my other MIJ guitars. It keeps the tuning perfectly and the intonation is very easy to setup, the previous owner decided to not modify the tremolo cavity (the base plate from the actual licensed FR is a bit bigger) and to keep it as a one way trem (push only).

This guitar has an H-S-S pickups configuration and a 5 way switch which are all stock. The bridge pickup sounds surprisingly very tight and modern, it is mid output and very versatile. The middle and neck pickups sound warm and round with a bit too much bass frequencies response for my tastes, but it’s obviously an easy fix with EQ.

Except for the bridge the guitar is entirely stock, here are the specs :
• Body : Maple (45mm)
• Neck : Maple
• Weight : 3.4kg
• Neck Joint : 4 points heel-less detachable
• Frets : 22
• Scale : 25.5”
• Radius : 350R
• Switch : 5 way
• Pickups : Fernandes originals, 2 single and 1 humbucker
• Tuners : Gotoh

2n00r9k.jpg

zntuoo.jpg

29xyarl.jpg

2mnfwyc.jpg

swfkw4.jpg

2w4wqbp.jpg

And now here are two quick demos I recorded using this guitar :

This one is more "Prog-rock" :
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/thessarecords/fernandes[/SC]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

s4tch

Reaction score
Félicitations, she looks plain awesome.

austink

Reaction score
Very cool score! Are those actually single coils or hot rail style humbuckers?

Edika

Reaction score
Really nice guitar and that rosewood board looks so nice! It's almost like ebony. The neck and middle pups do look like mini gumbucker rail pickups, like austnick noted, which would explain ghe bassier tone.

Reaction score
That is a sweet looking red. Are you planning on getting a trem that will fit in the route?

I got the original trem with the guitar so maybe I'll try to mount it and see how it feels. I am not a huge trem user anyway, I have them on many guitars because I find them practical to set and the tuning stability is perfect.

Latest posts

')