Le French Metal?

• Thread starter You
  • Start date
  • Tags
    france
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
There are lot of pretty good rench bands but they're all mostly underground. France as a whole is a country where metal and rocknroll to a lesser extent aren't part of the mainstream music, mostly because of stupid quotas for french songs in the radio and media.
When that law was passed, we were suddenly in need to produce a lot of music in french in order to fill the quotas, which meant a lot of music cheap to produce was pushed by the record companies, mostly rap.
To put it into perspective, imagine Franck Sinatra still being the biggest record seller in the country. That's basically where we're at.

There were quite a few bands in the 80es that failed because of a lack of record company support.

And of course

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
The only French band I can think of is Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! Certainly not for everyone, but I like their first two albums.

rokket2005

Reaction score
Dagoba is/was my favorite French metal band. Their first 3 or 4 albums are really good, but I didn't pay much attention to the last album they put out. Their singer Shawter is the only remaining original member and the last thing I remember hearing from them was pretty meh.

From when the were still intact and good:

EDIT: I guess their bass player is their original bass player too.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
+1 for Alcest, Les Discrets, Aosoth, and VI.

I can't help but think of Les Légions Noires when I hear about French bands. Most notably Mütiilation. Certainly not for everyone. But that's the point.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Aosoth is another great BM band
Les Discrets were probably better than Alcest

+1 for both sentiments.

For more kick ass French BM, check out Antaeus and Hell Militia.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I really like the band Celeste

However, I am not good at remembering the names of their songs, and I've got no speakers, so I'm not sure if this track is even any good. But there are not many tracks I've heard from the group that don't rock pretty hard.

They're difficult to classify. It's black metal, and it does have some hardcore, but it doesn't sound anything like your typical melding of black metal with hardcore.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Yooo Oleg VI is sick dude :yesway:

I always wanted DsO but... riffy.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
Yooo Oleg VI is sick dude :yesway:

I always wanted DsO but... riffy.

Glad to share the wealth that is VI. Epic, aggressive, groovy. and the production on guitars is SO goddamn clean that I think they might've tracked lines separately. Those chords are too huge to sound that crisp.

Hyaenabam

Reaction score
If you love progressive and experimental music.
Hypno5e are one of the best french metal influence for me

And this is my band :

[Youtubevid]l1MJvUPJ10U[/MEDIA]

We are currently working on our first album who will be released early 2017!

')