Lead players who can't riff/Rythym players who can't solo

• Thread starter DDDorian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Does this make anyone else giggle slightly? Went to Japan because the US was stuck in th 80's? Have you heard any late 90's Jpop? :lol:

Yeah, I don't really get Nick's remark about that. :lol: I heard in an interview that he went to Japan because he had been there on tours in Cacophony and Megadeth and really liked it, so he thought he wanted to live there. He also said he wanted to play pop and not metal because he'd been playing metal for the last 20 years or so and wanted to try something different.

If the US was stuck in the 80's, Japan was as well. If he really did go to Japan because the US "was stuck in the 80s," then he made a graaaave mistake (I know that's not the reason he came here, though).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is such a hard question, because I can't think of but a handful players that I've heard enough of to make that judgement.

Totally disagree with your opinion of Lynch, but then again, I grew up on that shit. He can totally riff. :squint: :lol:

StevieHimself

7-STRING SCORPION
Reaction score
I love Blackmore but he's not really known for his rhythm work, outside of maybe a couple of the "famous" riffs he's noted for. And dare I say it...Vai was never known for rhythms either.

And as for Loomis..he's one of my favourites, all around. Great riffs, killer solos, awesome tone...sweet!

However, I think one guitarist that has incredible rhythms AND tasty solos is Nuno Bettencourt. Put away the corny aspects of some Extreme songs and lo and behold...Nuno's top-notch!

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
However, I think one guitarist that has incredible rhythms AND tasty solos is Nuno Bettencourt. Put away the corny aspects of some Extreme songs and lo and behold...Nuno's top-notch!

+123409

You know, I was just thinking about polar opposites. Hold on a minute...

[hijack]

If Nuno is like Superman, would Hammett be like Bizarro?

[/hijack]

God, I'm in such a mood today. Feels pretty good. Wonder what's going to go wrong. :ugh:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i thought Ralph Santolla did leads on that one?

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Yea, I think Ralph did the leads on the Glroious Burden, and I reckon JIm Morris did leads on Crimson king by D&W

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Jeff Hanneman > Kerry King

James Hetfield springs to mind when it comes to solid crazy rhythms but not much interest in soloing (though whenever he does solo, its kicks ass!).

If Jeff Loomis can't solo then the earth is flat...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Well fuck, Almost every guitarist in the world sounds lackluster compred to Chris Poland's lead playing, its 20+ years ahead of its time.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Chris Poland has also moved on from metal to a different genre, but it is not bland and boring like J-Pop. Remember, Dave Mustaine himself said that Marty had problems playing the old Poland solos. Chris was just so far out there. Don't get me wrong, I think Marty's solos on the first two albums were great, but then he did nothing but repeat himself. He just bursted onto the scene with this fully developed style, and then never grew beyond that.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
if Marty had problems playing Polands solos, What does that say about every other megadeth lead guitarist playing Marty's solos? none of them come even, its almost pitiful hearing Tornado of souls from anyone but Marty.

Whatever guys, the comment about slayer was because everyone thinks their so great at rhythm, I know their shit compared to if u wanna say "tech metal". But we're talking how weak in Rhythm someone is, lets define rhythm then. If cacophony and megadeth and slayer is weak at rhythm, Then there goes 80% of metal being weak at rhythm also. Sure, hes not playing fucking Necrophagist riffs, but why would he. Im sure Marty could pull off Necrophagist though if he wanted to, its not that hard. Or whatever band you think is "hard" at rhythm, I have no doubt in my mind he could play it.

settite

Legion of Doom
Contributor
Reaction score
Herman Lee of Dragonforce can riff and solo like a machine!

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
Scott Ian...absolute top-shelf rhythm player and composer in my book, not much interest in lead playing (and it's too bad, Spitz solos = meh)

settite

Legion of Doom
Contributor
Reaction score
Well actually Herman Lee can play Lead and Rhythm both really well. Listen to the song Dragonforce - Disciples of Babylon

Carrion

Et tu, Brute?
Reaction score
Well actually Herman Lee can play Lead and Rhythm both really well. Listen to the song Dragonforce - Disciples of Babylon

Psssh, Studioforce ftl.

Just playin', ya their older stuff is pretty cool, not a fan of Herman Li's playing though.

settite

Legion of Doom
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you seen Dragonforce live? They are as good on stage as they are in the studio!

Latest posts

')