learning harsh vocals - online resources?

• Thread starter wheresthefbomb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
A tale as old as time. I can "do it" but it wrecks my shit and is clearly not good for my body. I'd like to learn how to do it the right way.

Has anyone had any success with online resources such as Extreme Vocal Institute, Mara Lisenko's lessons, or anything else I should be looking at? I've been taking traditional voice lessons since January and it's going great, but this isn't really my teacher's wheelhouse and there's not really anyone where I live qualified to teach this stuff. I do plan to discuss my intentions with her as she's got a whole-ass doctorate and a lot of knowledge about the physiology of singing etc, and I suspect she will be able to offer at lease some guidance. I've always been a little hesitant about online lessons especially for something that I'm used to a high degree of feedback/correction for, so I'm looking for people's experiences or suggestions heading into this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm also interested in this topic. I'm sure you know about Kardavox Academy on youtube. I've watched many of his videos, and they're excellent, but it's probably not the same as a personal lesson. I did some quick digging, and lessons with Mark were pretty expensive.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I watched some stuff, but honestly nothing worked for me until I learned the trick from a random guy.

The way I can "scream" all day without hurting is by using...head voice. And pushing it to 1000%. Screaming in head voice. Takes me like 3 days of practice until I feel comfortable doing it, but once I get comfortable, I can last very long doing it.

Then I also do what I call "brutal screaming" which is...yelling as hard as I can in chest voice. But 15 minutes of that and I'm done for a day, my voice will be worn out. It's not good to do this, you damage your vocal chords. But I used to do it in some songs because it sounds really violent and aggressive. Really sparingly as a recording thing, last thing of the day. Because once you do this, you can't sing or scream anymore and you're hurting yourself.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Count me in as being interested, as well. I haven't really gotten into trying or doing much research about it yet but eventually I'll have to if I want to put vocals to demos.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
If Chad Gray has any tips, I'd follow those. Dude sounds like his vocal chords are in meat grinder one minute, to Celine Dion clarity and power the next.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Really curious to know what your vocal coach says when you bring it up. Beyond guidance, ask if she knows anyone who can help (if she's unable to) with your desires. I would do that before looking at any online resources (cause I'm a fuckin boomer and like to do shit in person lol).

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
Thanks! Didn't know that word (though, ofc, knew about throat singing). A quick search got me this, which is already helpful:

Yeah you just gotta find where to place the vibration so it doesn't hurt you and then figure out how to project it and mess around with lip and mouth and tongue placement and you can make all kinds of dope sounds.

I had to relearn how to do almost all of my vocals after my throat surgery last year (I had a trachea shave which isn't supposed to affect your voice at all) and it pretty much impossible for me to use my false chords at all for harsh vocals and I can't project at all that way anymore so now the vast majority of them are weird mixed fry overtone stuff. I already knew how to do it before tho but I'm way better at it now.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score

and

both have good stuff on youtube, and offer lessons

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Trying to follow advice in videos was getting me spinning my wheels and ultimately is why I don’t really put forth a lot of insight in how I learned to do it, I just don’t have the vocabulary/knowledge to put anything forward that I could confidently say won’t injure someone.

The best way I have of explaining how I change pitches is “there’s a golf ball in the back of my throat and I rotate the golf ball forward or up depending on the pitch I want to get” It makes total sense in my head, but to someone else that won’t mean shit.

I think it’d be prudent to find out what kind of screaming your favorite singers are doing as the techniques are quite different. You pretty much have false chord and fry screaming and then a bunch of smaller techniques under those kinds. Some of the shit people are getting into now, like Alex Terrible and shit, hahahah those dudes are crazy.

The biggest cautionary tip I have to give is watching your volume. I used to allow the smoke and mirrors of mic gain and compression trick me into thinking I had to be literally screaming to get the sound I was going for and it was quite the opposite.

These days I do a mixed fry/chest scream, it’s barely louder than speaking volume. I warm up in the shower in the morning as I’m often needing to raise my voice at work to shout over noise of construction, once I’m warmed up it’s just a matter of shaping my mouth a certain way and I can go into the fry sound right away.

Unfortunately, because I spent so many years learning from Randy Blythe’s delivery, I’m kinda ‘stuck’’ there and it’s hard navigating away from it. Same way I can’t stop ripping off Layne Staley.

0:22 seconds

If Chad Gray has any tips, I'd follow those. Dude sounds like his vocal cords are in meat grinder one minute, to Celine Dion clarity and power the next.

Hahahahha Chad was a HUGE influence on me in my younger days and he’s actually a huge reason I ended up blowing my throat out. I don’t know how that dude even has a speaking voice, he does NOT sing/scream with any ‘proper’ technique whatsoever, he’s 100% going for it, full on false chord screaming as hard as he can. Precisely why his voice is toast before the first song is done. It’s absolutely what brings all that aggression out, but lord, dude is just beating the shit out of his vocal cords night after night.

')