Legator Matt Bachand Signature Model

• Thread starter SoItGoesRVA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
As cheesy as the graphic on the Ibanez was they were one hell of a fine guitar. One step up from the RGA's which are probably one of the best guitars Ibanez has ever built.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I don't think they look cheap or crappy. I think they're a real novel take on a guitar. It's like they took a traditional acoustic guitar, and then scooped out the treble side of the upper bout to form something like a horn. And then, to make it even more over the top and unique, the scooped the bass side, too, so it has an upper horn like element. And then, the pure genius - they used a slab of wood, and amplified it by using electronics. And then having the tuners lined up in a row? MIND BLOWN! It's just soooo different from anything else out there, it's no wonder they give them cool names like "Ninja." Maybe when the rest of the guitar world catches up and starts making these flat, electrified guitars with those scooped horn things, then I'll think less of them. But for now, they're making guitars that look totally original, and not like a boring knockoff of a million other guitars we could buy.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think they look cheap or crappy. I think they're a real novel take on a guitar. It's like they took a traditional acoustic guitar, and then scooped out the treble side of the upper bout to form something like a horn. And then, to make it even more over the top and unique, the scooped the bass side, too, so it has an upper horn like element. And then, the pure genius - they used a slab of wood, and amplified it by using electronics. And then having the tuners lined up in a row? MIND BLOWN! It's just soooo different from anything else out there, it's no wonder they give them cool names like "Ninja." Maybe when the rest of the guitar world catches up and starts making these flat, electrified guitars with those scooped horn things, then I'll think less of them. But for now, they're making guitars that look totally original, and not like a boring knockoff of a million other guitars we could buy.

One of the few gripes about new builders I simply don't get is the "un-originality" that folks like to point out.

Come now, are you going to tell me that all the guitars you own are original? Just about all the super strats on the market can trace their origins back to the same three or four guitars that came out 30+ years ago.

Quality means more than originality ever will.

Oh, and slapping an extra string or two on or painting it a wacky color isn't original. Heck, that seemed like the go-to thing to do in the 80's and 90's. :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
One of the few gripes about new builders I simply don't get is the "un-originality" that folks like to point out.

Come now, are you going to tell me that all the guitars you own are original? Just about all the super strats on the market can trace their origins back to the same three or four guitars that came out 30+ years ago.

Quality means more than originality ever will.

Oh, and slapping an extra string or two on or painting it a wacky color isn't original. Heck, that seemed like the go-to thing to do in the 80's and 90's. :lol:

Yeah, but for me, specifically, I do like my guitars different. I tend to gravitate toward non-standard designs. I don't own a single Ibby, I no longer have a Jackson, and I've got mostly non-traditional shaped/featured instruments. My primary issue with this builder is that, from a business model, I don't see how they are distinguishing themselves. The design is not unique, the electronics are not unique, the construction is not unique, the marketing is not unique. I feel like they need to develop a target audience and an approach to explain to the consumer "why choose us." Ibanez may make pretty standard super strat shapes, but they've got they're Wizard neck profile, the Edge tremolos, pretty unique signature series guitars, etc. Some of it is pure marketing, but at least it's something they do to distinguish themselves from others.

I guess what I'm saying (apart from my obviously having too much time on my hands :lol:) is that I am not one to knock someone for making a derivative or direct copy of a guitar. I don't even get uptight about Ran or some little luthier copying something like a Blackmachine. But if someone were going to go into business making, say, B2 copies, and charge the same amount as an actual B2, I'd wonder what the heck they were thinking. So in Legator's case, I'm not sure how they expect to get customers with no distinguishing characteristics. Admittedly, I haven't researched the company at all, so I could be totally off base with this. But it just gives me the "hey, let's get an offshore factory to produce the same guitars they're already making, but slap our name on them" vibe. And, idealistic or not, I'd prefer that those making the tools for creativity and the arts not be about making a buck first, but about being dedicated to the advancement of the craft/art first, and hope that the money follows. And those that have that ideal typically will get into the field because they believe they can do it better, or see a flaw they can fix, and they decide to make a business to do that. Like Strandberg, Toone, Oni, Grover Jackson, Leo Fender, etc.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I'm off the market for import guitars (well, asian guitars, US guitars are technically import for me :p ) but I'd be wary of a brand nobody knew about three months ago and that only endorsers seem to have seen for real.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
I can't get over how cheap these things look, just terrible.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
This would be totally fine were it not for the weird cavity cover.

I don't know about you guys who prefer the RGA, that graphic is ugly as hell. :shrug:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys who prefer the RGA, that graphic is ugly as hell. :shrug:

Honestly, I think they're both ugly as all get out. I just know that RGA is actually an awesome guitar. :lol:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Skull on one, totally random, odd shaped wooden pickguard on the other.

Hey, if you want heinously stupid shit on your custom, have at it. If you're going to put something like that together and expect people to by it, enjoy sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I also think that a proper review, or preferably reviews, are in order before the proverbial pitchforks and torches come out. But that's just me. :D

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Looks cheap, pickguard seems like it was an after thought...isn't this a custom shop?

Honestly, I can already see the crash and burn of this company. Call me jaded but I'm a relatively NEW member and have already been around for the rise/fall/aftermath of multiple companies.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
I honestly think the skull graphic is FAR worse than the faux wooden pickguard on the other guitar.

We're still discussing aesthetics, right? :lol:

Latest posts

')