Legator Matt Bachand Signature Model

• Thread starter SoItGoesRVA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Am I the only member on this forum that has no problem with the way the Legators look? I honestly don't find anything in their guitars (from pictures on this site, at least) that look "cheap".

Similar overall appearance to what Agile puts out? Check
No name pickups? Check
Mid-level Gotoh hardware? Check
Endorsements out the ass? Check

Even on the $3900 Helio listed on their distributor's site, they're using the cheaper Gotoh tuners. :noway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
Similar overall appearance to what Agile puts out? Check
No name pickups? Check
Mid-level Gotoh hardware? Check
Endorsements out the ass? Check

Even on the $3900 Helio listed on their distributor's site, they're using the cheaper Gotoh tuners. :noway:
All of this.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
if only it had a classic strat or tele headstock, i'd be all over that. alas, the headstock looks like crap.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
As a huge fan of his ESP/LTD sig and the Washburn Face Eraser... I'd take those anyday over his new sig.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
Wow, their Ibanez and ESP were pretty cool, very high quality guitars. They went from that to BC Rich, to this? Talk about a sharp decline.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
The Ibanez doesn't have the "metuhlz" inlays, comes stock with great pickups, and refinishing would make it great.

The Legator has one pickup, has "metuhlz" inlays, and doesn't need refinished.

Both have decent hardware.

I prefer the Ibanez.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I really wanna try out one of these Legators and see if they're any good, just so all the "they look cheap/crappy" comments will have some context.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I believe it! It would be fun to do a proper review since nobody actually owns one here AFAIK.

I actually just emailed one of their dealers, if they have a good return policy I might get one for Science.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Funny that you mention that, as he too has jumped on the Legator bandwagon. :lol:

Funny how both Matt and Jon were on the BC Rich camp a year or so ago. :lol:

Jon-Donais-JDGUN.jpg

This was Donias' sig, but I remember seeing them at Download last year and both Matt and Jon were using Blue and Purple Gunslingers respectively. Sure they were ordinary looking superstrats with fr00ty finishes, but they look much better than what they're playing now. :ugh:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Funny how both Matt and Jon were on the BC Rich camp a year or so ago. :lol:

Donais hasn't exactly been one to stick to guitar companies, going from Washburn to ESP/LTD to B.C. Rich. All three companies, and now the fourth, making what is essentially the same guitar. That definitely leads me to think this is more about the endorsement deal than the guitar itself.

fortisursus

Reaction score
I have no idea regarding the quality of legator guitars, but it looks much better than the ibanez in my opinion. That skull graphic always screamed cheesy to me.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Donais hasn't exactly been one to stick to guitar companies, going from Washburn to ESP/LTD to B.C. Rich. All three companies, and now the fourth, making what is essentially the same guitar. That definitely leads me to think this is more about the endorsement deal than the guitar itself.

That's right. More power to him and other hoppers to keep seeking the endorsement deal that can cater to their needs.

At least Jon's guitars (same again) look better than Matt's posted on the OP. :lol:

anthrax.jpg

shadows_1.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If MaxofMetal talks down about them, chances are they are crap :lol:

To be fair, I haven't played one. Though, from the looks of it, no one really has, minus the artists on their website.

Brad summed it up pretty good:
-Import.
-Cheap hardware.
-No name pickups.
-TONS of artists on board, yet such a small, new company.

That sets off tons of alarms in my head. Especially considering the artists on their roster are either very small (no offense) or those known to jump companies in search of better deals, not better instruments.

Companies shouldn't need their artists to convince folks the guitars aren't shit. They should do that themselves by getting the product into the hands of players and being as transparent as possible.

Look at how successful Agile has become. They did that without giving away guitars and focusing more on who's playing them than the instruments themselves.

Legator should really take a look at another recent company to try the "endorse like mad" route who is now in a really shitty spot: Strictly 7. At least Strictly 7 could fall back on the MIA aspect, Legator is just import. Since they seem based out of the US, it's fair to assume they just go through OEMs and don't really do much with the guitars themselves, minus selling them.

')