Legend of Zelda WiiU (no title yet) revealed

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it was mentioned already but for the Wii U, you need to use the game pad or Wii U Pro controller -- no standard remote + joystick combo.

Those are the only controllers that come standard with the Wii U tho :lol:

If you wanted to use your GC remote, then I'm not sure if any other games outside of Smash even let you use it.

How does one taste a steam game...?

You should load up the game, turn off your computer. Remove the CPU and lick the thermal paste, it transfers the taste everytime you play a new game so you can get an accurate sense of what each one tastes like :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bpprox22

String Breaker
Reaction score
You say that like Gamepad and Pro controller aren't the standard controllers for Wii U games...

Those are the only controllers that come standard with the Wii U tho

If you wanted to use your GC remote, then I'm not sure if any other games outside of Smash even let you use it.

You are both right -- However, I was noting it because I found this out last night. I actually play Skyward Sword on Wii U using the standard remote + joystick combo. I like the way it plays but I guess that is not a popular playing style :rolleyes:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
There's also not enough buttons on either the Wii remote and Nunchuk or the Gamecube controller.

Skyward Sword's controls were built around the Wii's, and similarly Breath of the Wild's are based around the Gamepad.

On a different note, I'm about 40 hours into the game and it only gets better. The world is so engrossing that you go on tangents on tangents on tangents.

thedonal

Reaction score
Maaaan. I'm getting serious lust for this game. All reviews indicate it has beaten Ocarina of Time (my- and many peoples' Best game ever, ever!!)

But- having already resisted getting a Les Paul with my work bonus (and I've wanted a US Gibby Les Paul for about 2 decades), I'm gonna pass on this for the time being and keep saving for that car!!

That said- I'd like to see how prices go down for the Switch first and see how the platform developes. I'm not always confident things will go well for a new Nintendo machine and- seeing as I only really want it for Zelda games and maybe Mario- it's a lot of hardly earned cash to part with at the moment..

But it looks UTTERLY gorgeous and engrossing. I've kind of missed Zelda. I'm really gonna have to plug my N64 in and have a big nostalgia trip, I think. :)

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
You need the flavour app.

I think I'll just go back to the cashews thread. Further testing to make sure that the taste of cashews has not changed will distract me from wanting to buy more videos games that everyone keeps talking about.

:lol:

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
CEMU devs are currently working on a BOTW rom. They can already get it to boot and you can mess with the menus. We should be able to play the game on PC in a few weeks!

Pav

???
Reaction score
CEMU devs are currently working on a BOTW rom. They can already get it to boot and you can mess with the menus. We should be able to play the game on PC in a few weeks!

Is it fully working and available yet? I wouldn't mind hiving this game a shot if I could do so without supporting Nintendo.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
without supporting Nintendo.

I'm not gonna go all "piracy is bad m'kay", but why would you intentionally want to NOT support the company that makes the things you want? I understand wanting to play games without paying for it. Maybe I'm biased 'cause I make a living from making the kind of stuff that people pirate (including video games and music), but it seems to me like if you get that much enjoyment out of their products, you should be supporting them instead of stickin' it to em.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I'm not gonna go all "piracy is bad m'kay", but why would you intentionally want to NOT support the company that makes the things you want? I understand wanting to play games without paying for it. Maybe I'm biased 'cause I make a living from making the kind of stuff that people pirate (including video games and music), but it seems to me like if you get that much enjoyment out of their products, you should be supporting them instead of stickin' it to em.

Normally I would fully agree with you, but Nintendo is a unique case for me. I could go on for quite a while about why I dislike them. But to summarize, 20+ years of putting out products that I really don't like makes me beyond hesitant to spend $200+ just to play one game that may be good.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
20+ years of putting out products that I really don't like makes me beyond hesitant to spend $200+ just to play one game that may be good.

Seems to me the solution to that is.... don't play the game? How does making games you don't like entitle you to the one game you might like for free?

If you're an adult or have a job, "I might not like the game" is not an excuse for piracy anymore. The company has not done you some kind of disservice for making products you don't like.

bhakan

Reaction score
Seems to me the solution to that is.... don't play the game? How does making games you don't like entitle you to the one game you might like for free?

If you're an adult or have a job, "I might not like the game" is not an excuse for piracy anymore. The company has not done you some kind of disservice for making products you don't like.
I understand the sentiment. At least in my opinion, Nintendo's recent consoles have been gimmicky and underpowered. I think a lot people ignore the flaws of the consoles because Nintendo makes great games exclusively for those consoles, but the problem there is as long as you contine buying their consoles it only encourages them to continue to make subpar consoles. I can understand not feeling like a company deserves $300 for a ....ty console because one amazing game is available only on it. I see it as "voting with your wallet" in a sense.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I understand the sentiment. At least in my opinion, Nintendo's recent consoles have been gimmicky and underpowered. I think a lot people ignore the flaws of the consoles because Nintendo makes great games exclusively for those consoles, but the problem there is as long as you contine buying their consoles it only encourages them to continue to make subpar consoles. I can understand not feeling like a company deserves $300 for a ....ty console because one amazing game is available only on it. I see it as "voting with your wallet" in a sense.

The quality of a console has nothing to do with the power of it. Nobody bought the GameCube despite its power. Everybody bought the Wii and DS because they were innovative.

The only good reason to buy a console is because it's got good games on it. Nintendo is the only console that guarantees that, because they have the best video game developer of all time in themselves.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
^^ This. The console is only as good as the content you can use on it.

I've honestly learned that when people talk about underpowered and are still talking about consoles, they generally don't understand what that power is. Yes the PS4 and X1 are powerful, but the games in the 2nd half of their lifespans and onwards don't run perfectly either. If you really care about the power and ability to play a game at a perfect consistent experience, then PC is the way to go about it. Gimmicks or not, Nintendo still makes the games fantastic even if you don't like the quirks sold in their marketing.

Good on them for trying, you don't know what will be a hit until you actually attempt it. And I'm a guy who is all for innovation and pushing things ahead by a few extra steps if possible. I'm not in it for the next adequately powerful PS or Xbox, but if the content is awesome and only available there. I'll buy one.

My Switch is extremely fun to game on, and I love having it around at the office or when I'm traveling and want to unwind a bit.

Now here's some spoilers, because I'm going to talk about Zelda and it's ending. In a non-spoiler nutshell, the experience was fantastic and I had issues with the way certain things were handled. And unless the big content drop in DLC pack 2 is enough to substantiate it, the game will sit at a hard 8/10 for me.

Here comes the blocks of green spoilers!

Ganon was a complete afterthought.

His Calamity form has the initial shock factor, and the entrance is cool. But that is exactly where it ends. The only bit of character development we get about him is that he abandoned his reincarnation and cycle of being brought back through generations to take his fully "enraged" form. That's it.

As far as I'm concerned, Calamity Ganon is just another Shiekah Creation that got inhabited by Ganon's being and assumed his hair. It's just another big bad "Blight" form. I don't even want to spend much time talking about his 2nd form, it was a gigantic joke and hand holding experience that somehow manages to not tell you how to even finish the ....er off.

The divine beast mechanic was interesting and made for a great cinematic but it destroyed the ending for me. There was absolutely no difficulty in fighting C.
Ganon. If you take the time to complete the Divine Beasts, you're already far more than powerful to take down Ganon easily. Him being at half health (That's what happens when you get all the Divine Beasts, each consumes 1/8 of Ganon's health with a blast). I had all this armor, weaponry, and food that I absolutely did not need to use at all. The fight was easier than just about anything else in the game, unless you don't know how to parry lasers.

IMO: The Divine Beasts should not have reduced his health, but I would have made it so they stun him at a critical moment letting you deliver the final blow. And as for Ganon's final form, it shouldn't have been some absolutely big harmless pig creature. We needed dialogue and something to give us a look into Ganon's mind and what led to that moment, characters died in a war against this person. And he just dies in the most anticlimactic final boss fight ever?

So Ganon's fight sucked, the first Zelda to feature voice acting somehow left Ganon with the least developed and interesting backstory of the cast. And unless the DLC story pack is about him, it'll remain that way. Ganon was literally just another mob in the world that needed to be taken down. Nevermind that a Lynel has a more strategic method of being taken down.[/spoilers]

The game as a whole was absolutely fantastic, my main gripes happen in the last 30-50 minutes of the experience. And after 90+ hours of it, I still absolutely loved the entire game, nothing will change that.

My other gripes with it are the following.
1. Zelda's NA voice actor is completely the wrong type of voice for the role.
Everytime she spoke I felt like she didn't belong with the rest of the characters.

2. Mipha and Link's relationship development died as fast Mipha did when she fought Waterblight in the past. What was the point of letting us know they were into each other if there was absolutely no follow up? It might as well have not been included because as soon as we find out about this, and some gear we receive. It's a forgotten story point and never talked about again.

3. I wish the Master Sword was handled differently, it's always been a very big moment in any Zelda when you get the blade. Making the requirement to get it to simply complete 40 shrines and get get 10 additional life containers made it lose some of that magic you experience getting it in any other Zelda game.
In my opinion, it should have been attainable after a memory cap. IE: You get memories 1-9, then you're allowed to pull the blade out and memory 10 is shown to you. After you watch the 10th, you now have the Master Sword and there are 8 more memories to experience outside of the first 10. That's how I would have done, but everyone I spoke to so far about it really didn't like the grindy aspect of the shrines. Especially given that you more than likely will find the Master Sword and then realize you still need 10+ more shrines to get it.
The memory wall/requirement would have given the moment a bit more importance and at least give the players the opportunity to feel compelled to find the memories too and hear the story and what happened.

4. The secret ending is complete trash, if you don't know what I'm talking about. It's an extra 1 minute long cinematic that plays after the credits.
You get it by freeing every champion and divine beast, getting every memory,
and getting the master sword. Then taking out Ganon. The cinematic goes as follows, forced opening dialogue to give Link and Zelda some purpose other than just standing out in the field alone for no ....ing reason. The only important bit is said after, Zelda says that her power has waned and she can no longer hear the voice within the sword. 2nd mention of this besides the secret final memory where she hears the sword and understands what it's saying as take Link to the shrine of resurrection. Then you get a shot of her smiling and laughing and it cuts to the title screen. This is so bad, you put in the extra time and effort to get a single line of lore and information and some fan service.
I just can't believe they felt inclined to include it at all instead of making it a part of the normal ending if you don't go through all of the extra hoops.

Save yourself the trouble, beat the game and just watch the "secret ending"
on youtube or something.

I know that's a lot of negativity back to back :lol: but I'm super passionate about this game and wanted it to be absolutely flawless. So I think it's worth critiquing to this level, the content and gameplay is fantastic. The quests,
landscapes, and characters you meet along the way are extremely likable and fun to see and quest on. The game is carried by this in my opinion, like the quest where you have to find the Molduga guts to help a Gerudo woman's ill husband, which leads you to the bones of a Leviathan if you explore a bit more and eventually you run into the 3 archaeologists who really want to see each of the 3 Leviathans scattered in corners of the world. I still have quite a few quests to complete, but so many of them are interesting and fun to go out and complete that it made the entire experience so much fun. Tarry Town was another fantastic quest, helping develop your own little town for people you've met along your journey was rewarding in and of itself. The shrines are cool too,
they can get a bit old quick, but there are so many that you might just get re-interested when you find a puzzle you don't fully grasp on the first try.

The secrets and references you find all over the world are incredible, spotting Farosh for the first time blew me away. Finding and interacting with him was even wilder for example. The game is rife with amazing experiences to be had,
if the ending was executed better I could overlook every other gripe I had,
but it made me go back and look at the game more critically. It's a fantastic game but not a perfect one by any means, I think anyone who's still on the fence should absolutely play it. But it's hard not to tell people that the ending will in fact disappoint many. This is assuming the DLC being released in a few months isn't going to go in depth about everything I think is missing. But then of course that means it's treading in my hate of paywalls for content that should have been there in the first place :lol:

That's my rundown of what I didn't like, and what I loved about this game.
I can't wait for the next game in the series, hoping they take everything that they learned from this time and perfect it for the next release.

bhakan

Reaction score
The quality of a console has nothing to do with the power of it. Nobody bought the GameCube despite its power. Everybody bought the Wii and DS because they were innovative.

The only good reason to buy a console is because it's got good games on it. Nintendo is the only console that guarantees that, because they have the best video game developer of all time in themselves.
I do think the power of a console affects its quality though. Good games are the key to a good console, but the power affects its ability to have good games in some way. The Switch guarantees you lots of great Nintendo games and it looks like a lot of jrpg's and not much else. If you want to play first person shooters, western RPG's (other than the 6 year old Skyrim) etc. you're .... out of luck. I get that this isn't Nintendo's target market and I respect that they're doing something different instead of just competing with XB1/PS4, but for a lot of people it's probably a deal breaker.

Also, maybe I'm just spoiled by PC graphics, but the switch graphics looked pretty bad to me. Like the art design of BoTW is jaw dropping, but every shot of Switch graphics I've seen so far (none in person so maybe its just compression or something) has had this weird look like there's zero anti-aliasing or something. For me, anti-aliasing is kind of a must in 2017.

I may still get a Switch at some point because my PC covers all the weak spots of the Switch and I want something I can actually sit in a room with friends and play, but for those who can only justify a single gaming system I can see the switch being underwhelming.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I do think the power of a console affects its quality though. Good games are the key to a good console, but the power affects its ability to have good games in some way. The Switch guarantees you lots of great Nintendo games and it looks like a lot of jrpg's and not much else. If you want to play first person shooters, western RPG's (other than the 6 year old Skyrim) etc. you're .... out of luck. I get that this isn't Nintendo's target market and I respect that they're doing something different instead of just competing with XB1/PS4, but for a lot of people it's probably a deal breaker.

Also, maybe I'm just spoiled by PC graphics, but the switch graphics looked pretty bad to me. Like the art design of BoTW is jaw dropping, but every shot of Switch graphics I've seen so far (none in person so maybe its just compression or something) has had this weird look like there's zero anti-aliasing or something. For me, anti-aliasing is kind of a must in 2017.

I may still get a Switch at some point because my PC covers all the weak spots of the Switch and I want something I can actually sit in a room with friends and play, but for those who can only justify a single gaming system I can see the switch being underwhelming.

You've hit the nail on the head. If you want graphics, you don't buy a console. Console's live and die by their unique experiences, and as we've seen over the past few years if you want multiplats you want a PC.

Nintendo knows that the Xbox/PlayStation power/specs fight isn't something you win, it's something you lose second. Hence Microsoft are putting all their exclusives on Windows as well. Hence Nintendo doing something different the past 3 generations, because surprisingly making the most powerful console has only been the most successful twice: SNES and PS4.

Also, to your first point, I'd argue that in almost every console generation the best games haven't been on the most powerful console. The exception being the SNES and N64.

bhakan

Reaction score
You've hit the nail on the head. If you want graphics, you don't buy a console. Console's live and die by their unique experiences, and as we've seen over the past few years if you want multiplats you want a PC.

Nintendo knows that the Xbox/PlayStation power/specs fight isn't something you win, it's something you lose second. Hence Microsoft are putting all their exclusives on Windows as well. Hence Nintendo doing something different the past 3 generations, because surprisingly making the most powerful console has only been the most successful twice: SNES and PS4.

Also, to your first point, I'd argue that in almost every console generation the best games haven't been on the most powerful console. The exception being the SNES and N64.
I agree with what you're saying but I feel like we're talking about different things. The Switch trying to be the most powerful console would be a waste, but I think it should've tried to be in at least the same ballpark. It seems like its graphics are miles below the other current gen consoles. Graphics aren't everything and an amazing game like Zelda is amazing regardless of graphics, but I'd be more excited for it if it was a little more powerful (with a price increase of course, I'm not asking for a miracle).

Either way, this tangent is getting pretty far off course. I'm clearly not Nintendo's target demographic and I get that.

polish_sausage

Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying but I feel like we're talking about different things. The Switch trying to be the most powerful console would be a waste, but I think it should've tried to be in at least the same ballpark. It seems like its graphics are miles below the other current gen consoles. Graphics aren't everything and an amazing game like Zelda is amazing regardless of graphics, but I'd be more excited for it if it was a little more powerful (with a price increase of course, I'm not asking for a miracle).

Either way, this tangent is getting pretty far off course. I'm clearly not Nintendo's target demographic and I get that.

I always kind of looked at the switch as a sideways move to the wii u and a replacement to the 3ds. Unifying their mobile and home console gaming makes it so that Nintendo is going to be able to support the crap out of the switch. It becomes a lot more appealing if you look at it as a 3ds replacement rather than a wii u replacement. I also think it's the perfect indie game machine. I game mainly on pc but the switch is a perfect compliment to that for my needs. I'd like if it was more powerful as well but at the price point it's at now is already pushing the limits of it staying competitive in the market.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Finally got the game running relatively well on PC through the CEMU emulator. I'm also running a hack that disables weapon degradation because having all your favorite swords and stuff break all the time blows.

I am absolutely loving the game.

Latest posts

')