Leon's new project guitar (56K = TP for my bunghole)

• Thread starter Leon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
so, i'm fixing up my bass player's Fender Jazz Bass, and went into the local music shop for a new capacitor for the tone control, and decided to take a look around. i saw this guy hanging inbetween some acoustics in the back.

i inquired.
they made an offer i couldn't refuse.
i couldn't refuse it.
i acquired.

Ibanez RX170, s#: C6071072, Made in Korea.

IM002635.JPG

IM002636.JPG

IM002637.JPG

IM002638.JPG

IM002639.JPG

IM002640.JPG

it actually plays really well. it needs intonated (the Vince Lupone straight-line intonation doesn't work so well for me ;) ) and a fresh set of strings (9's) before i can really dig into it.

it also needs cleaned up, maybe some new electronics (ok, new electronics for sure), and i REALLY bought this so that i could do my first paint job. i mean, it's black. i could torch the thing (a la Chris) and it would still look cooler. i've even got a decent paint booth, in the basement...

right down here...
IM002641.JPG

...in *there*...
IM002642.JPG

...and then in *here*...
IM002643.JPG

it's pretty drab, but i could empty a whole can of paint, and not have to worry about messing up any walls.
IM002644.JPG

i'll have plenty of ventilation via these little windows, pending i can get them open :)
IM002645.JPG

the ceiling is barely high enough for me to walk around, but i don't plan on spending tons of time down there.
IM002646.JPG

and apparently there is a hole in the floor. grand!
IM002647.JPG

i'll have to think about the electronics for a while. i'd like to get something other than DiMarzio's in here, or, at least something other than a TZ/AN :lol:. ideas?

as far as a new finish, i've seen a few of you guys empty some spray paint cans with pretty good results, so that's the route i may take. any ideas on what would look good with this non-rosewood neck/headstock? yellow may be a bit too much, maybe a lime green or metal flake green, or a metallic red.

later today (after i spend some time on campus and go to work) i'm going to do some research on this thing, to see what kind of wood it is (i'm assuming basswood, but i want to check anyways) and to see if i can date the thing. the guys at the shop were pretty clueless. cool guys when it comes to giving one of their new favorite customers deals, but don't have expansive knowledge of The Ibanez like some ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
That hole in the ground is like.. perfect for burying a dead body..

nice neck tho.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome find man:metal: Now lets hope that hole in the ground doesent mean there used to be a toilet/makeshift outhouse:lol:

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
well, dating it wasn't hard! from Rich Harris' Ibanez Rules...
Cort Serial Numbers - Cort serial numbers are denoted with a C prefix followed by either 7 or 8 digits. I'm not sure what year the changeover occurred but using the formula it will be easy for you to tell. A 7 digit number example - C5030567 - translates, 5 = 1995, 03 = 3rd month [March], 0567 = 567th guitar built in March 1995. An 8 digit number example - C03114373 - translates, 03 = 2003, 11 = 11th month [November], 4373 = 4373rd guitar built in November 2003.
so, mine was made in 1996, in july, and was the 1072 one made.

Popsyche

Contributor
Reaction score
That dirty hole of yours looks like an ex-sump pump fixture.

Strip it down, see what the wood looks like and go from there. If it's a knotty mess, then SWIRL away! :yesway: :D

Pickups? Hmmmm...

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
noodles said:
Oh man...Blair Witch flashbacks.

+1, with a little "It puts the lotion on it's skin. It does as it's told or it gets the hose again" sprinkled on top.

IM002647.JPG

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
:lol:

six pictures of a guitar, and one of a hole, and they talk about the hole :p

in addition to kinda looking like a strat, this thing also plays and sounds like a strat. the neck is fatter than the Wizard necks, which is cool. the pickup config is: Bridge -> H, H+S, S, S+H, H -> Neck. it's going to need some locking tuners, as any sort of small dive or trem on the bar sends it slightly out of tune. and the pickups squeal. other than that, i'm really digging this thing :yesway:

i'm going to call it, The Ibanstrat.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
NickCormier said:
That hole in the ground is like.. perfect for burying a dead body..

nice neck tho.

You puts the lotion on your skin or else you gets the hose again :lol:

Damn it Ken beat me

Anyway Leon do you have a compressor or are you going to be using the spray can route?

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
no paint supplies to speak of, so, probably spray can. i'd imagine that's the cheaper path.

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Leon said:
:lol:

six pictures of a guitar, and one of a hole, and they talk about the hole :p

in addition to kinda looking like a strat, this thing also plays and sounds like a strat. the neck is fatter than the Wizard necks, which is cool. the pickup config is: Bridge -> H, H+S, S, S+H, H -> Neck. it's going to need some locking tuners, as any sort of small dive or trem on the bar sends it slightly out of tune. and the pickups squeal. other than that, i'm really digging this thing :yesway:

i'm going to call it, The Ibanstrat.

Sorry, Leon. I'll talk less about the hole and more about the geetar. Projects like that can be fun. Before you do anything you should PM Donnie to see if he has any suggestions on brands of spray paint, "stroking techniques", and the like. On second thought, just keep it to brands of paint. :D

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
What can we say.. guys just love holes :agreed:

I had a Cort Les paul copy.. and it played like shit.. Hope you turn that into something cool though =]

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
when i finish up my RG7421 project i'm probably gonna start on the RG570FM project, if i can find a old heel RG550 neck with maple fingerboard for a reasonable price...

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol: Cool picstory, Leon and nicely acquired RX too. That'll be an awesome project guitar. :yesway: Your basement looks alot like the basements in these apartments around here. Creepy, musty and grimy and nice hole. :eek:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
How about a Mo Joe or Fred with a PAF neck? Maybe a Blue Velvet or HS2 for the middle. Or you could go for EMG's with maybe a pair of 89's and an SA. The 89's will give you the coil split option.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Leon said:
it actually plays really well. it needs intonated (the Vince Lupone straight-line intonation doesn't work so well for me ;) ) and a fresh set of strings (9's) before i can really dig into it.

lol, I fixed that guitar you jerk :lol:

BTW, nice dungeon you got there :yesway: :lol:

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
Elysian said:
when i finish up my RG7421 project i'm probably gonna start on the RG570FM project, if i can find a old heel RG550 neck with maple fingerboard for a reasonable price...
is that an offer i smell? :)

James, it's funny you mention those pickups! i was myself thinking about basically JS'ifying this guitar with a FRED bridge and a PAF Joe neck, and i had asked Kevan what he thought would make a good single coil, and he suggested the Blue Velvet. :lol:

Vince, Dan, you should see the guy who last lived in this house!

igor.jpg

')