Leon's new project guitar (56K = TP for my bunghole)

• Thread starter Leon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I see that as...red. The Jackson DK2M I played the other day which was just an overall-amazing guitar (playing and sounding JB + Alder = good) soo...red.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol:
damn, just earlier today i was thinking how cool a red stain would look. and, maybe some of those chrome pickup mounting rings that Bob posted up the other day. a Hipshot trem would fucking rock, but the trem in here now isn't too bad. moneywise, if i can pinch it, i'll go for it, but as it is, i'll leave this one in here.

gojira

Reaction score
so tell me leon....

what exactly does liver taste like with fava beans?

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
i'm realling thinking... a red stain (pending the woodgrain is attractive) with chrome pickup mounting rings (thanks to Bob posting a pic of them somewhere!) and maaaaaaaybe black/cream pickups of the DiMarzio FRED and PAF Joe, with a Blue Velvet single.

i'll have to check if i can get those pups in the zebra colors.

what do you guys think of that?

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
Oh man...Blair Witch flashbacks.

I thought the same thing. If I saw some guy standing in the corner I was calling the cops.

I have one of those Ibanez RXs to. It's not a bad guitar at all. I keel meaning to fix it up but never seem to get around to it.

I think black with maple looks sweet. I say get some locking tuners and a better trem also some better pickups and electronics. It'd be a pretty nice guitar.

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
i was thinking about a better trem, but then i would have to do a ton of routing. i already have a pair of OFR's on two other Ibby's, so this one will be a nice contrast.

pickup mounting rings:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardwar...Humbucker_Mounting_Rings_for_Flat_Bodies.html

now, if i go for those, should i get one of these for the single coil?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardwar...l_Mounting_Rings_For_Single-coil_Pickups.html

i'd need to do a little bit of drilling, which is fine, except that i'd need a drill :lol:

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
I like those pickup rings, the single coil one is nice. Is that trem two-point or six point? If it's two you might be able to get a Wilkinson or a Hipshot in there with minimum routing.

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, a Hipshot wouldn't be so bad. i don't think i need to route for an OFR or anything :). two and six point? it looks pretty simple to me, like it's just two posts with a bridge piece made of one plate of metal.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Leon said:
yeah, a Hipshot wouldn't be so bad. i don't think i need to route for an OFR or anything :). two and six point? it looks pretty simple to me, like it's just two posts with a bridge piece made of one plate of metal.

Yeah it's a two point then. Two points of contact. Old Start bridges had six screws that connected the bridge to the guitar. Wilkinsons and Hipshot only have two posts the bridge connects to the guitar with. I've heard really good things about the Hipshot bridge. I have the Wilkinson on a guitar and really like it. You'll need locking tuners and maybe a new nut.

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
stain! not paint :p

i've been busy, and still need to find the time to buy the supplies i'm going to need to get this off the ground. i don't even own any sand paper.

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
yep, i shop there all the time. i need to amass a list of what i need. several grit sizes of sand paper, a ventilator mask, some gloves, a brush, the stain, some poly clear coat, masking tape...

i'm starting from scratch here :lol:

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
Sanding takes forever, unless you're using an orbital or palm sander.

It would probably be quicker to use chemicals or heat, but in this case it could affect the final finish ;(

I can't wait to see it when it's done :D

Good luck man :)

')