Les Paul dies at 93, MSNBC reports

• Thread starter metallatem
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I'll also be controversial and say that the passing of Les Paul represents the end of a figure far more influential on popular music than Michael Jackson ever was. Despite this, there won't be a media circus of rolling news coverage.

There are several very important distinctions, though. First, Les Paul really hadn't done anything especially noteworthy since the sixties, which means that most of the people even on this forum, where he is well known, weren't alive to witness his most significant accomplishments, however much we may benefit from them. Second, although Les was commercially successful for his time (again, 40+ years ago), he certainly didn't approach the popularity of Michael Jackson - really, nobody did before Michael, and arguably hasn't since. Les was more of a musician's musician, playing a style that has long since fallen out of favor with the general public, whereas Michael wrote music that appealed to a much wider audience. Maybe most importantly, Les's largest audience is guitarists, and is largely unknown outside of that audience. Even many guitarists don't know that much about him; you'd be surprised how many people don't know that the Les Paul guitar is actually named after somebody.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
LP was a true legend. Sad day, indeed. The good part is that he lived for decades and will forever be alive in the shape of his guitar and his contributions to music. That said, being the innovator that he was, I kinda wonder what he thought about 7 string and ERG instruments. I never met him and never saw him declaring anything about it, but I bet that he liked these experiments with musical instruments, because he was an innovator and very young in his way of thinking. Thanks to you LP, I have a 7 string LP! :) RIP!

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
:erk:

Rest well, Mr. Paul. Thank you for all of your countless invaluable contributions to modern music and recording. They are truly immortal and give us all something by which to remember you fondly, always.

chimp_spanner

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
LP was a true legend. Sad day, indeed. The good part is that he lived for decades and will forever be alive in the shape of his guitar and his contributions to music. That said, being the innovator that he was, I kinda wonder what he thought about 7 string and ERG instruments. I never met him and never saw him declaring anything about it, but I bet that he liked these experiments with musical instruments, because he was an innovator and very young in his way of thinking. Thanks to you LP, I have a 7 string LP! :D RIP!

Well I wonder if he had to give any kind of seal of approval for those funky 7 string Epiphone LP's they made? ;) Damn I miss that guitar. Sounded mean. Gibson should make one.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one," he said in 2002, "and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes."

SO true.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I was thinking to myself 2 weeks ago about how old he was, and looked at some videos of him also.

He lived a long, fulfilling life and his innovations opened the doors for us to live ours.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
R.I.P. Les Paul, you were a critical part of the electric guitar revolution that changed the face of music, making notes & chords sing out in all new ways, not to mention pissing off gads of old people far younger than your 94 year old self. We...'ll keep burning the ol' fretboard for you man! :agreed:

SupaCoolMan2005

BringBackTheHeadbang
Reaction score
Thanks Les for everything you've done..and for getting me an A on the speech i did on you in elementary school. R.I.P you lived well and will surely be missed

Piro

Reaction score
R.I.P. to the godfather of everything that is modern guitar as we know it. We wouldn't be on this site at this moment or probably even be musicians if it wasn't for you.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking this is probably going to be the biggest rock n roll funeral of all time? If not, THEN IT FUCKING SHOULD BE!!! :scream:

I tip my hat to you sir, you bloody legend :metal:

solarian

Reaction score
RIP Les Paul.

And like what others have noted--let's just hope Gibson doesn't exploit his death for profit. I've always wanted an authentic Gibson Les Paul and hope I can still afford one in the future. :ugh:

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Les Paul had done some much for music, not just rock / metal... RIP, big guy. We salute you!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
damn! RIP :(

he was so cool! and he´s been such an important factor for music too.

well, at least the guy lived his life all the way, 93 is freakin´ old for a man! the guy kept gigging all the way too! (don´t know about the last year or two, but he was still playing his ass off every week when he was 91)

edit: oh, and he wound his own pickups. this guy knew his stuff!

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
RIP

he'll be remembered for the advances in guitar and recording technologies he pioneered.

without him, my home studio would probably be crap compared to what it actually is.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I'll also be controversial and say that the passing of Les Paul represents the end of a figure far more influential on popular music than Michael Jackson ever was. Despite this, there won't be a media circus of rolling news coverage.

:yesway: Well said man.

It's a pretty big "what if?" but imagine music without any of his inventions. Gibson pretty much made themselves as a company worldwide with the Les Paul model and without the success of that it wouldn't have led to the models that followed it such as the Explorer, the Flying-V, Firebird and SG and we certainly wouldn't have had all the guitars that are made by other manufacturers but are similar to them either.

R.I.P. Les Paul a true musical innovator.

')