Les Paul dies at 93, MSNBC reports

• Thread starter metallatem
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Have to agree with Varcolac and Triple-J on this one. Don't forget his work with multi-track recording...

He's going to be sadly missed by his family, friends and fans.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one," he said in 2002, "and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes."

SO true.

That's my new signature.:yesway:

R.I.P. Les Paul, I may not like the guitar; but the man was truly an innovator for modern music.:bowdown:

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
Man, I may trash Gibson, and I may not like his design...but fuck. Yet another legend falls this year.

93 is a good life though, hopefully his dignity and legend won't be raped by the corporations. :(

Rayne Mann

Reaction score
I got teary eyed when I heard the news because I had researched him for a paper in high school and thought about all the amazing advancements he had done for modern music.

EDIT: Rest in Peace!

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
It's a pretty big "what if?" but imagine music without any of his inventions. Gibson pretty much made themselves as a company worldwide with the Les Paul model and without the success of that it wouldn't have led to the models that followed it such as the Explorer, the Flying-V, Firebird and SG and we certainly wouldn't have had all the guitars that are made by other manufacturers but are similar to them either.

Actually, the Les Paul guitar itself wasn't that big of a hit in the early days.
That's why it went out of production in 1962, and wasn't reintroduced until many years later. I suppose it also adds to the rarity and value of the 50s and early 60s models.
Gibson had already established itself many years before, with their archtops, and guys like Charlie Christian playing early Gibson electrics and such.
In fact, when Les Paul originally showed 'the log' to Gibson, they weren't interested. It wasn't until other companies started having success with solidbodies, most notably Fender, that Gibson figured they'd need one aswell.
So Ted McCarthy had already done the basic design for a solidbody, then asked Les Paul for some input on the design, and the Les Paul signature was born.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
RIP Les, you've done enough and it's time to rest. Anyone who can smile as much as he did whilst bringing us all those innovations and still find the time to be one heck of player clearly had a full life.

EliNoPants

Reaction score
all i can think of is this Bane song "My Therapy" which has the line "all because of six strings stretched across a board"

we here may be fans of an expanded version of that, but it stems in huge part from what LP did with six

RIP

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Thank God for Les Paul and Thank Les Paul for the all the Gibsons he designed and made for us.

R.I.P.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Fuck, imagine how I feel just getting out of bed and finding this out first thing, really gonna put a dampener on my day.
RIP Les Paul, you are a true legend, an amazing innovator and just a total badass guitarist.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
I found out a few hours ago when my sister got home from school. I really wanted to meet him before he died, but now I can't. :(

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Just heard about this now.

Rest in peace, Les!

I have a singlecut tattooed on my leg - i think im about covered (no pun intended)

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Fuck, imagine how I feel just getting out of bed and finding this out first thing, really gonna put a dampener on my day.
RIP Les Paul, you are a true legend, an amazing innovator and just a total badass guitarist.

I had the same thing when I found out Dime died. Same day as my girlfriend's birthday. :(

')