Les Paul tone and volume control question

• Thread starter Willyjacksonjs22-7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My les Paul’s bridge pickup volume and tone pots seem to control both bridge and neck pickup at the same time. The neck tone pot and volume pot don’t seem to make allot of change. Just a small drop in volume on the neck pickup but nothing happens when adjusting the necks tone pot. Is this normal or not? If not, could it be the wiring made incorrectly is affecting my bridge pickup and making it sound thin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
If you have 50s wiring in your Les Paul, there can be some interaction between the volume and tone knob, but it should only affect the pickup they are wired to.

Also, if you have the pickup selector in the in between setting, you can’t always roll the volume off completely on one pickup without affecting the overall volume.

Are either of these what you are experiencing, or is it something different? What model Les Paul do you have and do you know how it is wired (50s vs. modern wiring)?

Reaction score
If you have 50s wiring in your Les Paul, there can be some interaction between the volume and tone knob, but it should only affect the pickup they are wired to.

Also, if you have the pickup selector in the in between setting, you can’t always roll the volume off completely on one pickup without affecting the overall volume.

Are either of these what you are experiencing, or is it something different? What model Les Paul do you have and do you know how it is wired (50s vs. modern wiring)?
It’s an Epiphone Les Paul 100

No sorry I don’t know how is it wired or how to tell if it’s 50s or modern.

tedtan

Reaction score
CFEDB419-6D17-4A94-A898-CDB7FC0D07F9.jpeg

If you look at the picture, you’ll notice that the difference between 50s and modern wiring is in how the capacitor connects between the volume and tone knobs.

Modern wiring has the capacitor connected from the first lug of the volume pot to the middle lug of the tone pot.

50s wiring has the capacitor connected from the middle lug of the volume knob to the third lug of the tone pot.

Here’s a little more info on the differences: Fralin Pickups 50s Wiring vs.Modern Wiring.

Reaction score
Not totally familiar with how the controls look for the epi 100, but if it's a PCB in the cavity and you have the pickup switch in the middle position, cutting the volume on one pickup will cut the volume on both. The bridge volume has a bigger impact on volume in that switch position than the neck.

So my question here is, does the "problem" only happen in the middle position, or does it happen when only the neck or only the bridge is selected?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
My les Paul’s bridge pickup volume and tone pots seem to control both bridge and neck pickup at the same time. The neck tone pot and volume pot don’t seem to make allot of change. Just a small drop in volume on the neck pickup but nothing happens when adjusting the necks tone pot. Is this normal or not? If not, could it be the wiring made incorrectly is affecting my bridge pickup and making it sound thin?
Not.
Yes.

Latest posts