Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vick1000

Reaction score
anyone been bold enough to route out the room to use one of those neutrik (spelling?) locking jack inputs?

I used a Dremel and sanding drum to enlarge mine for a standard jack and football plate. Barrel jacks are total a$$.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

What did you use for dye and how did you do it. That is one of the best dye jobs in this thread.

Thanks! I used this stuff, mainly because I already had it.
20160506_050934_zpsoqpgluxf.jpg

I scuffed the fretboard with some 400 grit sandpaper, taped off the neck etc then applied the stain generously. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so then wipe with paper towels until the towels come off clean.

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
This was a fun little project. Body was a bit trashed when I picked it up, so decided to sand it down and fill the neck pickup, controls and truss rod cover screws. Dyed the fretboard, added a CTS pot and switchcraft jack. Really impressed with the playability, fret job is solid. Just using the stock bridge pickup for now, will switch it out eventually though. Sorry for the crap pic.

That's really nicely done!

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
^ soya...that looks great. ive got a 93 rx7 that is that color....always thought a guitar would look good painted in that blue

Supernaut

Reaction score
Thinking of staining the rosewood board on mine.

Anyone know a good UK alternative to the minwax stuff? Somehow I don't think Ronseal will be suitable :)

Thinking of changing the inlays too, whats the best stuff to fill them in? I was thinking of doing a suhr style thing where the middle of the inlay is black and the outside ring is white inlay. Something like this:

suhr_2015c7193mdcpurl95.jpg

iamkharon

KHARON
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new here. I've been lurking for a pretty long time now on severstring and specifically this post. Watching all these cool RG8 mods ppl do. I decided that for my first 8 string guitar, this would be the right way to go for me too.

The reasoning was reducing costs & being able to choose the parts based on my personal taste. So I went for the RG8 PB natural finish model with a mahogany body, poplar top, maple/walnut neck and rosewood fretboard.

The parts to be replaced are everything besides the truss rod and nut.

Here whats going in the guitar:

EMG 808X
EMG 85-8X
Hipshot gold fixed bridge (.125)
Hipshot gold grip-lock locking tuners
Gold volume & tone knobs
Gold selector tip

Here's some before pics, further updates soon to come:

27395765796_8c37f07994_b.jpg
[/url]Parts by Nadav Lavi, on Flickr[/IMG]

26821068154_def7b71efb_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_2656 by Nadav Lavi, on Flickr[/IMG]

26822774033_660daf58f3_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_2669 by Nadav Lavi, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_2673 by Nadav Lavi, on Flickr

27153530220_7689e0a9d8_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_2676 by Nadav Lavi, on Flickr[/IMG]

27153539790_cfae33536e_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_2677 by Nadav Lavi, on Flickr[/IMG]

26822833143_084760f42a_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_2690 by Nadav Lavi, on Flickr[/IMG]

26821232584_7b3d80046f_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_2683 by Nadav Lavi, on Flickr[/IMG]

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i may have to sell my white rg8 and invest in one of these fancy new finishes ibbys been putting out...

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Soon my friends. I had decided to get a new body because I loved the neck so much.

Ordered a replacement body from Tom over at Oakland Axe Factory.

I ordered an iceman body walnut body with zebra wood top. Installed hipshot bridge and a single pickup dimarzio d-activator. More to come soon!

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Or the incredibly better idea: Keep the white RG8, AND buy the poplar burl RG8 :agreed:

It makes sense, because the white one is basswood, and the PB ones are Mahogany, so you need both.

so true lol...but when you have as many guitars as i do, the wife expects 2 to go before 1 more can be purchased

Soon my friends. I had decided to get a new body because I loved the neck so much.

Ordered a replacement body from Tom over at Oakland Axe Factory.

I ordered an iceman body walnut body with zebra wood top. Installed hipshot bridge and a single pickup dimarzio d-activator. More to come soon!

be sure to post up pics when you get that done.

btw, what are you doing with the old body?

iamkharon

KHARON
Reaction score
Why not replace the nut? It's an easy upgrade and it will go a long way.

you're right, actually i didn't think about it and already finished swapping everything :scratch:

oh and btw, since i got a closer look at the body of the guitar. i can tell you that although its mahogany, its not a high quality build. the reason is ibanez used two layers of wood to combine three rows of beams which were then glued together and carved into shape. compared to lets say PRS USA guitars which only use two solid mahogany blocks that is glued together right in the middle.

iamkharon

KHARON
Reaction score
')