Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
how difficult is a hipshot locking tuner install? seems like my low E is always going out

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
I picked up a used set of Bare Knuckle Holy Diver 8 string pickups (thanks @ that short guy!) for my RG8. Does anyone know if the stock 3 way is capable of "Petrucci style" wiring with the split inner coils in the middle position? Haven't taken off the back plate to look yet, planning on copying the wiring of my RG7 which has a tele 3 way switch.

movingpictures

Reaction score
I picked up a used set of Bare Knuckle Holy Diver 8 string pickups (thanks @ that short guy!) for my RG8. Does anyone know if the stock 3 way is capable of "Petrucci style" wiring with the split inner coils in the middle position? Haven't taken off the back plate to look yet, planning on copying the wiring of my RG7 which has a tele 3 way switch.

The stock 3 way wont do a coil split similar to the Trooch. Just the standard on/both/on. You can get the "special" 5 way switch from Rich at Ibanez Rukes though and it can handle coil splits and other , better, options.

vick1000

Reaction score
You don't have to go to Ibanez Rules, a Fender Super Switch will work much better, just make sure to put some electrical tape on the inside of the cavity cover.

thetourist

Reaction score
Against seemingly non-existent odds, I now have an RG8 in my possession, after having been on the lookout for a 7 string of late. I love my new guitar, and after having played it for a few hours whilst drunk, I've realized that I'm now very drunk.

I have a question that I hope I can find the answer to on here. I love the fretboard on this guitar, it's dark and fairly nice. ( Fretjob is stellar for a $400 guitar ) I was wondering if there was a way to 'quieten'/darken the dot inlays. I can't really do any woodworking here so I'm not sure I can dye the inlays, even if that might work. I wouldn't want to ruin the fretboard either. I quite like dark rosewood.

This might be a stupid question but would permanent marker on the inlays work? I don't care if it leaves dark spots in place of the white dots, the dark fretboard should compensate for those. I very rarely use the inlays when I play and I think a blank fretboard could be fun, aesthetically and practically speaking.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
There are inlay stickers available online. You could get some black ones and cover the inlays with them.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Reaction score
Man... I'm really tempted to have a go at this myself.

For those way more in the know than me about modding (I really only know how to wire up a guitar) -

I'd like to take the finish off, put a veneer on the top (I'm thinkin this eucalyptus one here would be quite pretty), spray the back black, and then shave out a natural mahogany binding and then coat for a matte finish. Might have to recoat the headstock so it's a matching matte black. After that - SD Pegasus and Sentient, new Hipshot hardware in gold, and a single push/pull vol where the tone is placed. I'll plug up the old holes before I stick the veneer on.

What kinda tools am I going to need for this?

Obviously the veneer would be glued on, would the satin coating help keep that in place as well?

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
...I have a question that I hope I can find the answer to on here. I love the fretboard on this guitar, it's dark and fairly nice. ( Fretjob is stellar for a $400 guitar ) I was wondering if there was a way to 'quieten'/darken the dot inlays. I can't really do any woodworking here so I'm not sure I can dye the inlays, even if that might work. I wouldn't want to ruin the fretboard either. I quite like dark rosewood.

This might be a stupid question but would permanent marker on the inlays work? I don't care if it leaves dark spots in place of the white dots, the dark fretboard should compensate for those. I very rarely use the inlays when I play and I think a blank fretboard could be fun, aesthetically and practically speaking.

if you look back through this thread, you can see where several guys used different products to darken their fret boards and hide the inlay.

Man... I'm really tempted to have a go at this myself.

For those way more in the know than me about modding (I really only know how to wire up a guitar) -

I'd like to take the finish off, put a veneer on the top (I'm thinkin this eucalyptus one here would be quite pretty), spray the back black, and then shave out a natural mahogany binding and then coat for a matte finish. Might have to recoat the headstock so it's a matching matte black. After that - SD Pegasus and Sentient, new Hipshot hardware in gold, and a single push/pull vol where the tone is placed. I'll plug up the old holes before I stick the veneer on.

What kinda tools am I going to need for this?

Obviously the veneer would be glued on, would the satin coating help keep that in place as well?

id say go for it...it will be fun and would be a fun project :yesway:

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
This just in:
Floyd8.jpg

thetourist

Reaction score
Thanks, Ben.last, M3CHK1LLA. I'd previously skimmed through the thread, looking through a few pages every ten or so, but I'm glad I read through all of it now. Some really stellar work all across the thread. That blue RG8 with the single pickup. :yesway:

For me though, Lace deathbars/x-bars upgrade and ebonizing the fretboard are on the agenda over the next few months.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Sup guys. New member, first post. Been lurking as a guest for a while reading threads on pickups. Finally registered because of this thread and that I just bought my first 8 string axe. I also realize the irony of first posting about an 8 string on a SevenString forum. :lol:

Just picked up an RG8FM for a steal on eBay. Haven't seen one yet ITT, but I haven't read the entire thread either (cuz holy ...., 100+ pages). RG8FMs are welcome ITT, right? The guitar I bought was basically new, still had the plastic film on the pickups and tuner housings.

Currently it's at the shop for an intonation adjustment, a 10-74 set on it for a Drop E-B or E-A tuning, strap locks, and potentially a new bone nut. Though I have a feeling the new nut will happen, the techs said the relief was terrible. The action still seemed high for having ridiculous amounts of fret buzz. Considering the guitar was shipped from Florida to California right before Hurricane Matthew came around, I'm sure the humidity changes had something to do with that? :scratch:

Next steps will be locking tuners. Then in a couple months, I'm definitely going to do a Pegasus/Sentient set, and possibly the drop-in Hipshot bridge. The new bridge is just icing on the cake, and after I've poured that much into the guitar, what's another $125 for the bridge, plus labor? :banana:

In case anyone is still looking into a locking tuner set for the RG8, I came across these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hipshot-Gri...UMP-upgrade-kit-for-Ibanez-RG-8-/112161299163

This company commissioned a custom set from Hipshot. I asked about string gauge accommodation, and was told:
"The tuners have 8th = 0.104" and 7th = 0.080" with 6-1 being stock (0.059") We can configure that differently or as needed, let us know when you order."

Sounds like a pretty good option to me! This guitar is going to drain the crap out of my wallet. :scream:

Here are the crappy pics from eBay. Somehow the lighting makes the finish look purple when it's actually gray. I'll get some better pics up after I get it back from the shop.

s_l1600_4.jpg

s_l1600_3.jpg

s_l1600.jpg

s_l1600_1.jpg

s_l1600_2.jpg

*Edit: fixed image links.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Pickups installed ob my RG8, bridge Painkiller and neck Oil City Masterwound Blackbird (with series/paralled push-pull switch on the tone knob).

Stringed with Guitar Joy 09-80s in drop E.

IMG_20160416_120034_zps4tirow1i.jpg

IMG_20160416_115734_zpsosjltvz3.jpg

Sorry for the dark pics.

Pickguards aren't usually my thing, but that is beautiful!

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Sup guys. New member, first post. Been lurking as a guest for a while reading threads on pickups. Finally registered because of this thread and that I just bought my first 8 string axe. I also realize the irony of first posting about an 8 string on a SevenString forum. :lol:

Just picked up an RG8FM for a steal on eBay. Haven't seen one yet ITT, but I haven't read the entire thread either (cuz holy ...., 100+ pages). RG8FMs are welcome ITT, right? The guitar I bought was basically new, still had the plastic film on the pickups and tuner housings.

Currently it's at the shop for an intonation adjustment, a 10-74 set on it for a Drop E-B or E-A tuning, strap locks, and potentially a new bone nut. Though I have a feeling the new nut will happen, the techs said the relief was terrible. The action still seemed high for having ridiculous amounts of fret buzz. Considering the guitar was shipped from Florida to California right before Hurricane Matthew came around, I'm sure the humidity changes had something to do with that? :scratch:

Next steps will be locking tuners. Then in a couple months, I'm definitely going to do a Pegasus/Sentient set, and possibly the drop-in Hipshot bridge. The new bridge is just icing on the cake, and after I've poured that much into the guitar, what's another $125 for the bridge, plus labor? :banana:

In case anyone is still looking into a locking tuner set for the RG8, I came across these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hipshot-Gri...UMP-upgrade-kit-for-Ibanez-RG-8-/112161299163

This company commissioned a custom set from Hipshot. I asked about string gauge accommodation, and was told:
"The tuners have 8th = 0.104" and 7th = 0.080" with 6-1 being stock (0.059") We can configure that differently or as needed, let us know when you order."

Sounds like a pretty good option to me! This guitar is going to drain the crap out of my wallet. :scream:

Here are the crappy pics from eBay. Somehow the lighting makes the finish look purple when it's actually gray. I'll get some better pics up after I get it back from the shop.

fhIRz02.jpg

gqQ6LUR.jpg

first off...welcome to sso

sounds like you have a good plan for your axe, can't wait to see it finished.

also, i cant see the pics

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
first off...welcome to sso

sounds like you have a good plan for your axe, can't wait to see it finished.

also, i cant see the pics

Could be Imgur being unreliable ... it does that from time to time.

*Edit: changed image hosts, hopefully working now. Also found and added more outdoor images in the Ebay gallery that I had forgotten about. HUGE difference in how the finish looks in the pics in outdoor vs. indoor lighting.

')