Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
I'm thinking 1 of 2 themes for the mod. One is fabric top in a pale color, keep all the hardware black. Think like:
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Or, make it a semi-hollow with a bent top in something really dark and do gold hardware. As in:
Katalox_EPC-F_7_large.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

what do you guys think? I'm definitely keeping the pickups.

Kyle01

Reaction score
Damn man, tough choice. Those both could end up looking really cool.
I think the fabric would give it a really unique look, especially if you use one like the in the picture you posted. I haven't seen many guitars with a top like that, let alone an 8 string.
I say go with the fabric man, but i suppose you can't go wrong either way.

MoonJelly

Reaction score
Yeah the fabric will likely look a little more unique. I know there was an Ibby S model with a bubinga top and gold hardware once upon a time. I want mine to be different! So choosing a fabric will be the tough part...

Kyle01

Reaction score
I'm really digging that light blue one on the bottom. Seems a little less busy than the others.

Just out of curiosity, how are you planning to put it on the guitar? Will you just glue it onto the wood and clearcoat over it?

MoonJelly

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how are you planning to put it on the guitar? Will you just glue it onto the wood and clearcoat over it?

That's essentially it. TGP had some tutorial threads for pattern tops--you can do wallpaper or fabric. Basically you stick it on there with whatever adhesive you can and then do about 20 coats of thick poly to level it out and get a good gloss going.

Reaction score
I did opt for the blue fabric with the dragons! All the stuff came in the mail Monday, after being delayed about a week :p

She ain't perfect, but I'll get her close. Next to my Schecter C7 Maus
Those humbuckers fill the pickup routing really well. Looks great!

Kyle01

Reaction score
As requested, here is my Octopus RG8 refinish project. We used a pyrography tool to burn the images into the wood, and it will be protected with tru oil.

I plan on doing a red/brown stain on the back and sides, but still haven't decided on the color for the top. We had thought earlier about staining or dyeing the wood blue around the octopus, then coloring the beast itself red or leaving it natural (or whatever color octopi generally are). We'll see how it looks after the back is stained and then go from there.

I probably won't do any other mods to it anytime soon. It came with blackouts already installed so it definitely sounds better than a stock RG8.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with how it feels and sounds. I just thought that the plain black finish could use some spicing up.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Picked up some new pickguard material off eBay. I want to do a pickup upgrade and I want a passive sized pickup, so that also gives me the excuse to redo the pickguard.

Went for white this time (current one is black). Also gives me the opportunity to clean up some of the rough work and fitment issues from my first pickguard.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Picked up some new pickguard material off eBay. I want to do a pickup upgrade and I want a passive sized pickup, so that also gives me the excuse to redo the pickguard.

Went for white this time (current one is black). Also gives me the opportunity to clean up some of the rough work and fitment issues from my first pickguard.

cool...post up pics when it done.

are you gonna sell the old pick guard?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
cool...post up pics when it done.

are you gonna sell the old pick guard?

Will do, I'll post before and after pics.

I don't think the old one is really worth selling, I'd feel like I was ripping someone off. But if someone wants it and will pay whatever shipping costs, I'll send it to them.

It's black, bridge soapbar only, volume only (in tone knob position).

International might be expensive though, as I'm in the UK.

Might be several weeks or a month though, I'm still mulling over pickup choices. I think I'm gonna go for a Lundgren M8 but I'm not happy about it since it's the most expensive option!

')