Let the RG8 Mods begin...

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
I'm currently repainting my RG8

Sad part is they put a fucking shell of poly underneath so i had to repaint more poly to even with the bare wood and now i'm sanding it.

HOPEFULLY i get this done in time. I'm craving my 8 string right now haha

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jobarnrd

Reaction score
Take some pics of the refinish. I'd like to see how that goes. What color??

I am almost done with a refin of an old peavey using black india ink/water. So, thought what the heck. Fretboard, dyed.
IMAG0617_zps126e896c.jpg

IMAG0613_zpsed10b2a6.jpg

jobarnrd

Reaction score
Thank you. I blacked out the inlays with perm marker then stained it. The dots are shinier than the rosewood, so in the wrong light, you can see them still. I'll do another coat of dye and put a thin coat of birchwood Casey sealer on it.

m4rK

Reaction score
Take some pics of the refinish. I'd like to see how that goes. What color??

I am almost done with a refin of an old peavey using black india ink/water. So, thought what the heck. Fretboard, dyed.
IMAG0617_zps126e896c.jpg

IMAG0613_zpsed10b2a6.jpg

Looks really good. I dyed my white rg8 and made it look so much better. I havent seen a black one yet... sweet!

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
I haven't gotten one yet, but I'm planning on getting a white one and give it a tortoise shell pickguard.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
I'm also thinking about dyeing the fretboard while I have the pups out. Should be alright without removing the neck if I'm careful, right? Tbh I'm just a little nervous about taking it off after reading some of the horror stories.

jobarnrd

Reaction score
I just loosened the strings to pull off to each side. I used a stain brush which gave me a lot of control. Use light coats and continuous brushing to avoid pooling at the frets. You may see frets deseating themselves if pooled too long, swelling the fret slots. I had no issues with this approach. Good luck.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
I just loosened the strings to pull off to each side. I used a stain brush which gave me a lot of control. Use light coats and continuous brushing to avoid pooling at the frets. You may see frets deseating themselves if pooled too long, swelling the fret slots. I had no issues with this approach. Good luck.

I'm already going to have strings off and pups out for replacement so cool. Thanks for the tip on watching the frets. Did you sand the board at all or dry it out before you stained it?

jobarnrd

Reaction score
Cirk 94 E and 65 B now. Drilled out the tuner AND the ferrul. Had to. The ball end back wrapping is almost as big as the ball. Worked though and its slammable and as clear as the 90 and no fret buzz. Fyi

jobarnrd

Reaction score
blacksgslayer said:
Dayum, 94. That's too big

that's what she said/so is my android phone LOL. balanced tension at 20-21lbs across all 8. I'll get my rig to my buddy's studio and do a sound clip. just got an mxr 10 band eq today too.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
that's what she said/so is my android phone LOL. balanced tension at 20-21lbs across all 8. I'll get my rig to my buddy's studio and do a sound clip. just got an mxr 10 band eq today too.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

I get the balanced tension, but I think that 80 is plenty for an E. I hate drilling out my hardware though so I'm biased

')