Let the RG8 Mods begin...

Joan Maal

Reaction score
Hello from Spain...

So here is my little "mod"... i took an RG8 white pearl pickguard and put behind a nice red "Wine Burgandy" RGIX28FEQM.
Also replaced the tuners for golden Vanson Locking ones and the switch tip for a golden one.

The ebony fretboard (from this one...) is the only thing i miss on my RG2228...

IMG-20190105-115847.jpg

IMG-20190105-115730.jpg

IMG-20190105-115820.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SurelyTheEnd

Surely The End.
Reaction score
^^^^^ That is Gorgeous ^^^^^

I'm about to mod my RG8, ordered a nickel covered PAF8 fro the bridge to go with an open PAF8 in the neck because I'm all about that life. 5 way superswitch and new knobs. String change to the NYXL 9-80 set. I may long-term look at an Ionizer or D Activator in the bridge. Chrome on black on white. Should look pimp.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
It's been a while...hence my ideas have changed 2-3 times since :yesway:

Got the fabric on, the blue stuff got unbelievably dark with epoxy, so I used a silver fabric. I thought it looked kinda boring, so I'm going to do a two-tone pink instead.
IMG-20190424-110554-01.jpg

The base pink is darker, the other is like a bon-bon pink, stay tuned...
IMG-20190424-152101-01.jpg

vick1000

Reaction score
Hello from Spain...

So here is my little "mod"... i took an RG8 white pearl pickguard and put behind a nice red "Wine Burgandy" RGIX28FEQM.
Also replaced the tuners for golden Vanson Locking ones and the switch tip for a golden one.

The ebony fretboard (from this one...) is the only thing i miss on my RG2228...
That's not an RG8 "mod". You put a RG8 pickgaurd on a IR8, I did the same with an RG852, but that's not an RG8 mod.

cip 123

Reaction score
thats so sick, didnt know you can make your guitar muiltiscale if it wasnt built to it.
how does it play?
Know this is a bit old but I was scrolling back looking at mods.

There is a system called "half fan" used by some luthiers such as Kemp Guitars, it's fanned but the perpendicular fret is positioned at the bridge, so you have multiscale but your intonation should still be in check. Just if you wanted more info :)

Gmork

Reaction score
Just bought an rg8 for $300 canadian a couple days ago! Got big plans for it which include sanding it down and totally reshaping it! Will probably take a year but i cant wait for the end result!
Maybe something along these lines just as far as the shape goes MY rg8 MOD.png

lewis

Reaction score
Just bought an rg8 for $300 canadian a couple days ago! Got big plans for it which include sanding it down and totally reshaping it! Will probably take a year but i cant wait for the end result!
Maybe something along these lines just as far as the shape goes View attachment 73020

nice!

Get a separate thread up when closer to starting so I can sub!!

also, think pickguard on it even with the new shape would be coool? acts like a modern twist to a classic pointy metal shape?

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Maybe something along these lines just as far as the shape goes View attachment 73020

yeah...start a build thread when you get started

Reaction score
@Gmork Do pay attention to the guitar's balance. If you remove that amount of wood from the body, it will most likely gain neck dive. Have that in mind before you waste the guitars original body. Instead, why don't you ask a professional help into reproducing that design in a new piece of wood (lots of choices here) and refine from there?... Just a though.

I've changed the horn's strap button on my RG8 so it would work on the guitar's back. The hanging point moved about 2cms from where it was originally and the guitar gained neck dive... so... that's some info to think about.

About the project, the design looks cool with the offset aesthetics, but maybe a bit small for an 8 stringer...? Proportionally, I mean...

Gmork

Reaction score
@Gmork Do pay attention to the guitar's balance. If you remove that amount of wood from the body, it will most likely gain neck dive. Have that in mind before you waste the guitars original body. Instead, why don't you ask a professional help into reproducing that design in a new piece of wood (lots of choices here) and refine from there?... Just a though.

I've changed the horn's strap button on my RG8 so it would work on the guitar's back. The hanging point moved about 2cms from where it was originally and the guitar gained neck dive... so... that's some info to think about.

About the project, the design looks cool with the offset aesthetics, but maybe a bit small for an 8 stringer...? Proportionally, I mean...
Youre def right! And i HAAAATE neck dive and it IS proportionately smaller than id prefer. Got lots to think about. Maybe just shaving off a bit of upper "butt" to give that fender jag slant which i love but then leave the horns. And im thinking maybe a matte halloween orange with a black pickguard?! Ooooyeeaaa

vick1000

Reaction score
Neck dive is easy to deal with, lead wieghts in the control cavity usually work, sometimes moving the strap horns, etc...

Latest posts