Let the RG8 Mods begin...

jobarnrd

Reaction score
IMAG0652_BURST001_zps7dfd82dc.jpg

IMAG0649_zpsb9cacb8b.jpg

IMAG0650_zps437dcc71.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jobarnrd

Reaction score
Double sided tape for now. Thanks! Still to make a template out of this as a stencil. I have enough plastic for 3 more.

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
paint_zpsde693631.jpg

Its my first repaint and now i know what to do, my next guitar won't be as bad as this paint job... Regardless here is what i'm doing so far

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
jobarnrd, did you have to solder the input jack when you put in your 808? I was hoping I wouldn't have to do any soldering with the quick connect but the install instructions say you need to with these long shaft jacks. Just want to make sure before I take this in and pay someone to do it.

jobarnrd

Reaction score
Yes, I had to solder the input. U might be able to get the clips on the tangs the way they are.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
Can't tell you how irritated I am right now. If I had known going in that I would have to solder the panel jack on this thing and then later realize that I need to spend another $40 on a new EMG 3 way switch, I might have opted for different pickups. I really want the actives in this but it's a bit frustrating at this point. Beware of these things before buying EMGs for this guitar.

jobarnrd

Reaction score
You can do an 18 volt mod whic will, first of all brighten your output and then you would have 2 more options to use a 5 way switch with and wire to the pickup selector bus that comes with the emgs. I know not how to though and you may not have room in the cvity for such a thing, now that I think about it. Nolan, thank you. Looks like i'll be making more of these things, so take a look on the bay for either "pickguard material" or just polystyrene in like .06" or .08" thickness about a foot sq.

FrostyTheDroMan

Reaction score
Just ordered a white RG8 and got some mods in mind. Once it arrives, I've spoken with a local luthier to bring it in to create a dark charcoal, worn/distressed steel looking pickguard. Gonna throw in some white EMG 808x's and that should hold me over for a while :D

IbanezRG8FinishedProject_zpsd4d0a7dd.jpg

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Just ordered a white RG8 and got some mods in mind. Once it arrives, I've spoken with a local luthier to bring it in to create a dark charcoal, worn/distressed steel looking pickguard. Gonna throw in some white EMG 808x's and that should hold me over for a while :D

IbanezRG8FinishedProject_zpsd4d0a7dd.jpg

That is gonna look incredible!!

Reaction score
You can do an 18 volt mod whic will, first of all brighten your output and then you would have 2 more options to use a 5 way switch with and wire to the pickup selector bus that comes with the emgs. I know not how to though and you may not have room in the cvity for such a thing, now that I think about it. Nolan, thank you. Looks like i'll be making more of these things, so take a look on the bay for either "pickguard material" or just polystyrene in like .06" or .08" thickness about a foot sq.

It's relatively easy, however, I do not think there will be the room without routing. in fact im sure of this, since my rga 8 only has room for one battery in the cavity(and i 18v modded it, only because i had the box space too). The fiveway switch would be useless still, unless you want to be able to switch between 18 and 9. there are schematics which are super simple to follow which you can find with google. I'm too lazy to spend the 15 seconds and post the link.

')