Let the RG8 Mods begin...

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Just got these today. Toanz.
25922_553321088011932_226616416_n.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
These are looking better and better!

I've reworked my ideas on mine since the pickguard thing didn't work out. I think I'm still going to do a killswitch, but I think I'm going to add a push/pull blower switch instead of trying to wire a separate toggle.

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
i'm sure this was already answered in here, but i'm so impatient and my ADD forbids me from reading page after page. but is there any modification needed when dropping passive sized pickups in these? i ordered both the black and the white one and i've got passives going into both. if any modification was needed, what did you end up doing? routing/dremeling/modding the pickup mounts?

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
i'm sure this was already answered in here, but i'm so impatient and my ADD forbids me from reading page after page. but is there any modification needed when dropping passive sized pickups in these? i ordered both the black and the white one and i've got passives going into both. if any modification was needed, what did you end up doing? routing/dremeling/modding the pickup mounts?

There will be no modifications for passives. You will just have a gap around this pickup because of the active-sized routing :yesway:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Unless you buy the EMG sized covers from mojotone. Then you might have to apply a bit of elbow grease.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
Finally just broke down and took mine to my tech. I'd rather have him do the soldering, plus I didn't have a switch that would work with the EMGs anyway. Solderless system my dick.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Wait, so the stock 3-way won't work with the solderless system?

Also, soldering two wires isn't rocket science. :lol:

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
Wait, so the stock 3-way won't work with the solderless system?

Also, soldering two wires isn't rocket science. :lol:

Guy I talked to at EMG says the stock switch with the inline terminals isn't compatible. You need a standard type 3 way with the offset terminals. And you still have to solder them unless you buy the special solderless switch from EMG for another $33 +shipping.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Hmm... I'll have to take a look. That doesn't make much sense that they wouldn't be compatible with the inline terminals. It's not like that necessarily changes what the switch does. I'm sure there's definitely a way to do it. And even still, I'm sure you could find an offset switch for far less than the quick connect one they sell.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Guy I talked to at EMG says the stock switch with the inline terminals isn't compatible. You need a standard type 3 way with the offset terminals. And you still have to solder them unless you buy the special solderless switch from EMG for another $33 +shipping.

He was full of shit. The Ibanez inline has a couple of terminals in different positions that you'd expect, but once that's accounted for, it is functionally no different.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't understand why it would be incompatible. The two switches do the same thing.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
Idk either but I bought these fuckers thinking I would have them installed myself with no soldering in about 30 minutes. At first when I discovered that I'd have to solder the barrel jack, I said alright I can do that. Then the tool I talked to told me about this switch shit and I got a bit frustrated. The fuck wouldn't even email me a wiring diagram for the switch. He told me to look it up. I've never changed out my own pups and wanted to give it a shot, but this left a bad taste in my mouth so I just took it in. :noplease:

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
When I was a tech at GC I dreaded calling EMG for anything. Every fucking time I called them I would get a different person who has no fucking clue about their own products. So, I'm not surprised he gave you wrong information and tried to get you buy something you didn't need.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Mordacain

Reaction score
I just finished getting my D-Activators installed. Liking the RG8 a whole lot more now. Also did a nice fret polish and fingerboard clean / conditioning. Honestly, it really didn't need the extra detailing I did as it was nice and healthy when I received it, but I did it anyway.

The D'Addario string set is much nicer all around than the stock strings. Just enough tension for the stock F tuning.

Still toying with cutting a pickguard for it and possibly wiring the pickups to a super switch for some different coil combinations.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
I haven't heard back from my guy yet, so I may end up running to GC and buying the switch or just ordering one from Warmoth and doing this myself anyway. I wanted to feel the satisfaction of having some of my own sweat into modding this thing for a change instead of just cash. I do have a refinish project lining up, though, so it may be for the best.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
Well, I just heard back from my tech and kinda feel good about the fact that he didn't want to mess with sanding out the pup routes, so I am going to be taking this project on myself. He's got a switch on order for me and I found a wiring diagram for it, so here's hoping I don't botch the thing too badly.

Mordacain

Reaction score
Well, I just heard back from my tech and kinda feel good about the fact that he didn't want to mess with sanding out the pup routes, so I am going to be taking this project on myself. He's got a switch on order for me and I found a wiring diagram for it, so here's hoping I don't botch the thing too badly.

Just take your time, go slow. If you have some old parts laying around, practice your soldering on them first until you're good and comfortable with it and like the way your joints look.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the "glob of solder" approach. I much prefer to use as little as is needed to get the job done. Also to keep in mind, joints should be nice and shiny if using standard typical nickel silver solder. If they're super dull, you'll likely have a mess of oxygen in the joint. Reflo the solder and make sure your cable doesn't move and it should fix itself.

Good luck!

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
Any tips from those who have installed EMGs in this regarding the cavity work? I was thinking of just grinding a bit out with the Dremel. I want to get this done ASAP, as I've decided to refinish this thing matte white. Honestly, I paid $160 out of pocket for the guitar and if I fuck it up beyond repair, I'll just buy another or wait until some of the new 8s come out this year.

')