Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jobarnrd

Reaction score
my 808x took about 1mm sanding on both ends .5mm(approx) so lengthening it from 100.5 to 101.5 totall. nothing more than a foam sanding block 180 grit but it took a while. just dont go too low of a grit to avoid chipping the clear coat. there was a chip next to the ferrul that scares me, cuz even the factory, albeit indonisian, chipped that clear cote during assembly. my cavity is full after 18v mod. Idealy, i'd want a d'marzio lonizer bridge humbucker and lonizer single coil angled towards the bridge on the treble side. Tele G that motha. Anyways, the cavity is teency. If someone was willing to carve out the input jack cavity, you might be able to get a battery in there, unseen with the cover on.

jobarnrd

Reaction score
yeah, i dont have mine here with me. I think its wide enough to fit laying...the tall way...? i wonder if the emg covers are 1 mm long for these IBZ ah-18(or whatever) shaped holes.

TerminalFunction

Reaction score
I just finished getting my D-Activators installed. Liking the RG8 a whole lot more now. Also did a nice fret polish and fingerboard clean / conditioning. Honestly, it really didn't need the extra detailing I did as it was nice and healthy when I received it, but I did it anyway.

Would you mind posting a few pics on how that looks? I'm considering the D Activators myself. Would be nice to see the result!

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
I know dick about wiring, but I do still have the stock jack with all the wires still attached. If I post a pic of it later maybe you can tell me what goes where lol.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
So after stepping back from my frustrations with getting this thing put together, I spent some time with my RGA7 yesterday. In a totally DERP epiphany, I realized that at that very moment I held in my hands the answers to all of my problems. The 7 is equipped with a set of Blackouts, the same barrel style output jack, and the same stock Ibanez 3-way switch.

Needless to say, I spent a few minutes facepalming myself last night.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
The RG8's stock bridge is one of its most endearing features. Why would you want to change it other than for aesthetic purposes?

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
This time next year we will be in the "let the RG9 mods begin" thread apparently

and I'll still be trying to get the pickups in my RG8 :lol:

I did make the route mods necessary to get the pups physically into the guitar this evening, so that is significant progress. Now if I can just figure out how to wire them...

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
and I'll still be trying to get the pickups in my RG8 :lol:

I did make the route mods necessary to get the pups physically into the guitar this evening, so that is significant progress. Now if I can just figure out how to wire them...

Lmfao. Yeah I'm gonna have the same trouble, most likely.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I am so torn between what pickups to get for mine!

I've been thinking of a Lace Deathbar/X-Bar combo. Not too expensive but I dont have experience with them and I'm finding it hard to commit to the purchase. Also I was just thinking of biting the bullet and getting a set of EMG 808X's. Cant really go wrong with EMG's and the price aint bad, but I'd prefer a more versatile sound.

The new Seymour Duncan 8 string range is looking promising, I said to myself if they put out those active sized Distortions that I would definately get a set, but now I'm having second thoughts and also considering going all out and getting a set of Lundgren M8C's, despite the price! Alos I just emailed Lundgren about the possibility of doing them in white, dont hold much hope for a yes on that but no harm in asking!

I definately want something that will be a straight drop in swap for the current pickups as I dont want to have to get custom rings or change the look of the guitar too much.

DAMN CHOICES!

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
At this point, part of me is wishing I had gone with the DA8/PAF8 combo, but I know I'll be happy once I hear the EMGs.

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBBRSnwqVdA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Has anyone happened to hear/view this video. I found it in another thread on here. This dude has kind of changed my mind with how urgent replacing the pickups is on my priority list of things to do with my rg8 when it arrives.

Granted he's using the vsts and not a regular amp, I have no beef with the stock pickups if they can produce this kind of tone. Maybe I'll go straight to refinishing.........

')