Let the RG8 Mods begin...

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
I have a demo of my new 5150 with the stock rg8. I don't think the stock pups sound too bad.
Here it is... Just skip to the end to hear the rg8

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBBR...e_gdata_player

Has anyone happened to hear/view this video. I found it in another thread on here. This dude has kind of changed my mind with how urgent replacing the pickups is on my priority list of things to do with my rg8 when it arrives.

Granted he's using the vsts and not a regular amp, I have no beef with the stock pickups if they can produce this kind of tone. Maybe I'll go straight to refinishing.........

Sounds awesome, but EQ'd to hell and back based on my personal experiences with the stock pups. They were way too boomy in the low end for my taste.

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
Yeah, I can understand people wanting to personalize their guitars with whichever pickups because its just cool and fun. But for anyone that thinks these pickups are "terrible", I definitely don't belief this to be the case. I honestly prefer the sound of these over EMG's 808s, I'll even go that far. To each their own I suppose though.

I'll probably still eventually throw some pickup's in because I like to tinker.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
They aren't terrible by any means, and a significant improvement over the garbage Lo-Z actives in the RGAs, but they aren't what I want out of this guitar. Like I said, it's all about personal taste.

jimwratt

Reaction score
All I've heard about the stock pickups is that they're muddy on the 8th string. Are there any adjustment you can do to improve clarity?

Hybrid138

Reaction score
Anyone thinking D-Activator bridge/Lace Deathbar neck?

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
All I've heard about the stock pickups is that they're muddy on the 8th string. Are there any adjustment you can do to improve clarity?

They aren't really all that muddy, but they aren't very evenly voiced at all. The low end is just way too loud and overpowers everything that comes out of them.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I think it would look cool aesthetically. Similar to how people used to have Q-tuners in the neck.

obZenity

bwow-duh-da-dow
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good place to order a 3 way rotary I can replace my tone knob with? The one I can get from All Parts you apparently have to wrap the wire around the shaft (whatever that means) and can sometimes be an issue. I decided I'm going to pull the blade switch and tone pot and just put a rotary in.

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
I'm thinking about finding a local luthier and paying him to customize my rg8 with a lot of things at one time. Pick guard, pickup swap, paint professionally Ferrari red :) gotta find one in KY though.

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
So here is what I emailed the luthier I found "I have a brand new Ibanez 8'string guitar. I have been looking for a good luthier in my area to do some modifications to it. I want to refinish the body Matte black, with the headstock to match with a replacement ibanez logo. I would like a new pickup installed, an EMG 808 to be exact. I want a pick guard installed as well, that only has the holes cut for the bridge pickup (the neck pickup would be removed completely) and the volume knob. The pick guard (black) would have to be custom cut, because I have looked for months and can't find a production 8 string aftermarket pick guard. I also want to die the rosewood fretboard very dark, black if possible." And I also attached some picks of an rg that looks similar to what I explained. I'm hoping for a quote soon.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
my email to a luthier will read...

i have a brand new ibanez rg8...could you turn it into a 2228?

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
After listening to me bitch and encouraging me along for the last couple of weeks, you guys deserve a picture. :lol:

2zoz.jpg

Mods so far include:
White EMG 808X pickups
White switch tip
Black/white strat style hat knobs
Black Switchcraft output jack (couldn't find a white one lol)
Currently using EB 10-74 Slinkys

Loving the shit out of this thing now. Sounds just as good as I expected and then some. I did put a tiny scratch in the clear between the pickups while grinding out the routes with the Dremel, but I am planning to get a 2-ply black/white pickguard made for it that will cover that up. Waiting to hear back from a few different luthiers in the city about that. Hopefully I get some good news. I'll probably stain the fretboard and have a white GraphTech nut made by whoever ends up doing the pickguard, too.

jobarnrd

Reaction score
I like the nobs! How was the fit? Would there be enough room for another 9v in the cavity?

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Also got a white Cliplock strap for it but haven't put it on yet.

@jobarnrd - I don't think there's any way I could squeeze another battery in there, but honestly, the X series do not need to be 18v modded. They are frigging gloriously tight and responsive and everything I hoped they would be as is. I think they would sound weird running at 18. As soon as I get a tone dialed in on the XT that I really like I'll get a clip up.

')