Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jimwratt

Reaction score
Killswitch? I'm not sure how that works with actives though.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
@knifeparty - that guitar is FOINE! (Pulled out my '90s R&B dictionary for that one)

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
@knifeparty - that guitar is FOINE! (Pulled out my '90s R&B dictionary for that one)

lol thx dude. Still debating on doing the faux binding or sticking with the less is more approach. I had originally thought about doing white tuners when I eventually change them out but decided against it. I am definitely going to get a pickguard made somehow somewhere similar to this with the white bottom ply. I think it will set it off so hard.

009-1104-000-l.jpg

Gram negative

Christopher Horton
Reaction score
lol thx dude. Still debating on doing the faux binding or sticking with the less is more approach. I had originally thought about doing white tuners when I eventually change them out but decided against it. I am definitely going to get a pickguard made somehow somewhere similar to this with the white bottom ply. I think it will set it off so hard.

009-1104-000-l.jpg

I had that same Idea, doing a black and white theme with my Ibanez 8 string. I have pearl topped knobs, and I was thinking the other day that a two ply black and white PG would look sweet.

i would want the reverse, however. I want a white PG with a black bottom ply.

himself138

Reaction score
After listening to me bitch and encouraging me along for the last couple of weeks, you guys deserve a picture. :lol:

2zoz.jpg

Mods so far include:
White EMG 808X pickups
White switch tip
Black/white strat style hat knobs
Black Switchcraft output jack (couldn't find a white one lol)
Currently using EB 10-74 Slinkys

Loving the shit out of this thing now. Sounds just as good as I expected and then some. I did put a tiny scratch in the clear between the pickups while grinding out the routes with the Dremel, but I am planning to get a 2-ply black/white pickguard made for it that will cover that up. Waiting to hear back from a few different luthiers in the city about that. Hopefully I get some good news. I'll probably stain the fretboard and have a white GraphTech nut made by whoever ends up doing the pickguard, too.

hey man i just got the guitar last week and i got emg 808 for it. the installation was pretty easy only thing is i had to solder the wire to the stock output jack. but the prob is the pickups sound kinda weak and muddy. in the instructions they said to use a stereo 152b jack. only thing is i dunno if the ibanez is a stereo or a mono. and maybe that the reason why it sounds like it does.

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
Ordered my white RG8 on evilbay yesterday. Spent a good 3-4 hours reading this mod thread and putting together ideas for my mods. I'm thinking:

-Match the headstock with white vinyl and new Ibanez logo
-binding on the body and headstock. I don't think I'll do black though. Maybe a nice dark blue. Can I get a blue Ibby logo?
-Pickups... Not sure what I'm gonna go with yet. I might wait to see what Duncan comes out with in the next month or so. Maybe a set of 808x's, though.

Damn, I'm gonna be spending some time and $ on this!!

Edit: cobalt blue Ibanez decal ordered

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
@himself138 - Actives are never drop in replacements for passives - you have to swap out the jack and the pots, as well - right now, the pickups are always getting power, so the battery will drain much faster (the stereo jack acts as the on-off switch) and the muddiness is because of the wrong pots.

Chuck

Reaction score
Ordered my white RG8 on evilbay yesterday. Spent a good 3-4 hours reading this mod thread and putting together ideas for my mods. I'm thinking:

-Match the headstock with white vinyl and new Ibanez logo
-binding on the body and headstock. I don't think I'll do black though. Maybe a nice dark blue. Can I get a blue Ibby logo?
-Pickups... Not sure what I'm gonna go with yet. I might wait to see what Duncan comes out with in the next month or so. Maybe a set of 808x's, though.

Damn, I'm gonna be spending some time and $ on this!!

But with the guitar only being $400 its so awesome.

I'll probably get one of these soon, not sure though.

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
hey man i just got the guitar last week and i got emg 808 for it. the installation was pretty easy only thing is i had to solder the wire to the stock output jack. but the prob is the pickups sound kinda weak and muddy. in the instructions they said to use a stereo 152b jack. only thing is i dunno if the ibanez is a stereo or a mono. and maybe that the reason why it sounds like it does.

The stock jack is stereo, but I opted to go with a higher quality replacement. Try the 18v mod on your 808 to clean it up a bit.

obZenity

bwow-duh-da-dow
Reaction score
Ordered my Sperzel tuners (black with Perloid buttons) and just working on the pickguard/rotary! Its almost complete finally, then I will actually post a NGD and everything. Still debating if I want to get pinstripe tape and add some binding. . . and if I have the skill to line it up right haha.

vick1000

Reaction score
Ordered a black RG8 from GC last week, should be here tommorow. Looking at a Deathber for the bridge, and X-bar for the neck. Assuming the stock Pups don't make the cut. Nice thread here, lots of info and great mods.

himself138

Reaction score
@himself138 - Actives are never drop in replacements for passives - you have to swap out the jack and the pots, as well - right now, the pickups are always getting power, so the battery will drain much faster (the stereo jack acts as the on-off switch) and the muddiness is because of the wrong pots.

i used the pots that came with the emgs.

himself138

Reaction score
The stock jack is stereo, but I opted to go with a higher quality replacement. Try the 18v mod on your 808 to clean it up a bit.

i was thinking about doing that but that cavity was kinda tight. im gonna bring it to the shop this week for a setup anyway. what jack did you end up buying

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
i was thinking about doing that but that cavity was kinda tight. im gonna bring it to the shop this week for a setup anyway. what jack did you end up buying

I am using a Switchcraft 152B jack. You can also take a look on ebay for a 24v mod battery pack that uses two AA batteries. Wasn't thinking about how small the cavity is when I suggested 18v earlier.

')