Let the RG8 Mods begin...

vick1000

Reaction score
Woah, this is really inspiring me to hop on the RG8 train and get me one. All these look sick. I was actually thinking of vinyl wrapping my entire guitar. I don't know how to get it to fit the curves on the side and back of the body though. I want to use one whole piece to wrap the back and sides of the body in black and cover up the seams on the front face with a white vinyl face. It'll look SUPER classy imo.

Top Flite Monokote | Opaque Colors

Notice they have pearl coats and metallic as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rekab

Reaction score
99FC29FD-0477-4B21-AF15-EF1D62724A95-3230-00000433016BD365_zpsbf41878c.jpg

So I'm debating on Paf or Ionizer single in the neck. Luckily I've got both lol

rekab

Reaction score
It's getting emg style covers anyhow but I love me some single coil sounds so ill have to give it a bit more thought

obZenity

bwow-duh-da-dow
Reaction score
Now I'm stuck between keeping my EMG 808x (ivory) in my black RG8, or getting the Duncan Distortions with active housing. . . decisions.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
Now I'm stuck between keeping my EMG 808x (ivory) in my black RG8, or getting the Duncan Distortions with active housing. . . decisions.

Same as myself man. I want white pickups for mine, I can easily get white EMG 808x's and be done with it! But, I'm waiting to hear back from the SD Custom shop on wether they can do the Distortions in white. I'd prefer the Distortions but depending on price I may just have to get the 808x's.

rekab

Reaction score
885B973E-31A9-4A3B-BC30-9CEE85E4A20D-516-0000003CA3CA3B8F_zps311d4acc.jpg

Just another tease for now. There's an Ionizer in the Bridge and Ionizer Single in the neck.. Now just a few more tweaks and it'll be complete

loopjunkie

Attack Dog Trainer
Reaction score
Ok a little update on my Frankenstein project.... Got the bodywork all done, it has been primed and this is it with a "guide coat" so when we final sand for paint we can see any high or low spots.:metal:

We shaped the bottom horn a bit, filled the neck pickup, filled the rear control cavity, made the arm cutaway a bit more extreme, and made cutaways around the horns Kind of like this ......

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 193

kris_jammage

Reaction score
So I'm waiting to hear back from Seymour Duncan regarding custom Distortion 8's. I want white pickups for my RG8, I will not compromise on this! Haha! I figure if I cant get the Distortions in white I'll grab some 808x's in white and stick them in. And to be honest I'm not too pushed on what exact pickups go in, but I would prefer passives.

BUT, I saw recently in this thread that someone got some pickup covers from mojotone.com and they worked a thread as covers for their passive pickups. I was thinking maybe I could get a set of these and paint them white. That way I wont be limited on what pickups I can get(at least colour wise).

Has anyone painted active covers? If so, can you share your experience, do's, dont's?

Cheers!

rekab

Reaction score
Has anyone painted active covers? If so, can you share your experience, do's, dont's?

See my post above
Passives under mojotone covers painted neon blue.
Do's: Test fit before painting. Ionizers do not work without a ton of trimming to the covers.
Don't: matter if you're black or white - MJ

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i would def spray clear on them after you paint them the color you want...

...make sure its several coats of some heavy duty stuff so it wont chip as easy.

rekab

Reaction score
i would def spray clear on them after you paint them color you want...

...make sure its several coats of some heavy duty stuff so it wont chip as easy.

I agree. I didn't clearcoat mine because I wanted zero shine but I'm sure it won't last long until I have to redo them

loopjunkie

Attack Dog Trainer
Reaction score
I agree. I didn't clearcoat mine because I wanted zero shine but I'm sure it won't last long until I have to redo them

There are Matte finish clears that will give little to no shine but still protect...

')