Let the RG8 Mods begin...

CanniballistiX

Detuned Fury
Reaction score
I've had my RG8 for about two weeks. The pickups aren't as bad as I had thought, though I'll be switching them and am not sure with what. Perhaps a Lundgren for the bridge and something buttery for the neck.

I did manage to get a decent recording with it, how does it sound? I am still dialing in a tone and this is a PodXT so I'm more limited than you guys with a PodHD or AxeFX II. :agreed:

https://soundcloud.com/canniballistix/passage-1-storms-at-sea

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FrostyTheDroMan

Reaction score
I've had my RG8 for about two weeks. The pickups aren't as bad as I had thought, though I'll be switching them and am not sure with what. Perhaps a Lundgren for the bridge and something buttery for the neck.

I did manage to get a decent recording with it, how does it sound? I am still dialing in a tone and this is a PodXT so I'm more limited than you guys with a PodHD or AxeFX II. :agreed:

https://soundcloud.com/canniballistix/passage-1-storms-at-sea

Cool song man! I think your tone is pretty good, just maybe make it a little louder in the mix. What interface and program do you use to record?

CanniballistiX

Detuned Fury
Reaction score
Cool song man! I think your tone is pretty good, just maybe make it a little louder in the mix. What interface and program do you use to record?

RG8 -> PodXT via USB -> PC running FL Studio 10 for Drums and Vegas 9 (LOL) for tracking/mixing. I am making the most out of older hardware until this summer when I'll be upgrading.

Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

rekab

Reaction score
DSC04034-2_zps106672c1.jpg

DSC04033-2_zps5f7a7ac8.jpg

DSC04032-2_zps2262b54a.jpg

Ionizer Humbucker in Bridge
Ionizer Single in Neck
Painted EMG Style Covers (matching tuner accents and knobs)
008-073 Circle K Strings Tuned GDGCFBbDG

I'm done with it for now. I'm still deciding if I like the pickups or not. They sound great, but I can't help but wonder about other options

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
do the bridge baseplate in blue and POW, looks great man.

rekab

Reaction score
do the bridge baseplate in blue and POW, looks great man.

I'm exploring that as well. Paint won't hold up to the wear in that area but I know a guy who does some great powdercoating so hopefully in the near future I'll have him do some work.
Just noticed: That lower knob looks funny in the pictures but it was shadowed a bit.. Definitely the same color blue :cool:

rekab

Reaction score
i don't know if any of you had this problem but i bought some sd blackouts and they don't even fit in the p-u cavities!

It's a known issue. You'll only have to sand out about .5 millimeter on each side to get them in

madcansoul

Reaction score

rekab

Reaction score
thanx Rekab but i'm not really sure i want to mess with that! I usually screw up little fixes like that ahahah! But a quick one for you man are the mojotones p-u covers a perfect fit like the original p-u? I might go passive with p-u covers...

also are those the good ones? Mojotone EMG Style 2-Hole Mount Soapbar Bass Pickup Cover Black (5 String)

That's them
They need just a little sanding to the body as well as some trimming to fit over the passives properly. Nothing is really a drop in super easy option but its not nearly as hard as it seems either. Just be patient and take your time with it.

loopjunkie

Attack Dog Trainer
Reaction score
So took these at the body shop last night, the pearl is heard to get pics of....:hbang:

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 287

m4rK

Reaction score
just finished my headstock this morning. this is how they should look from the factory.:cool:

I dyed my fretboard black, crappy pic..
DSCF0763_zps1f5ad3a4.jpg

then.
DSC_0094_zps75b5e9d9.jpg

DSC_0100_zpsc504e77a.jpg

the logo should piss off the purists!:fawk:
DSC_0144_zpsc77e8964.jpg

DSC_0146_zps65c3caec.jpg

Whipsy77

Reaction score
Do the fret inlays on theses RG8's come off easliy enough?? I really like the look of a fret board without inlays but don't want to hack the fretboard up

bondical

Reaction score
just finished my headstock this morning. this is how they should look from the factory.:cool:

I dyed my fretboard black, crappy pic..
DSCF0763_zps1f5ad3a4.jpg

then.
DSC_0094_zps75b5e9d9.jpg

DSC_0100_zpsc504e77a.jpg

the logo should piss off the purists!:fawk:
DSC_0144_zpsc77e8964.jpg

DSC_0146_zps65c3caec.jpg

dude is that the prestige logo from bestdecals.com? im also looking to paint the headstock white and i wanna know that the logo fits on the headstock

m4rK

Reaction score
Yeah, it is. Not a very good quality decal. I wanted just lettering so i will replace it eventually.
To they guy asking on fret markers. Black dye kills them dead. Mine are nonexistant after dying them..

Whipsy77

Reaction score
Yeah, it is. Not a very good quality decal. I wanted just lettering so i will replace it eventually.
To they guy asking on fret markers. Black dye kills them dead. Mine are nonexistant after dying them..

Thanks, Ill try dying them..

')