Let the RG8 Mods begin...

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
Hey so earlier Minwax wiping stain was mentioned, so I looked it up because I planned to ebonize my fretboard, but then I saw that they offer different colors and it got me thinking: 3 or 4 coats of the indigo stain might look awesome on the black RG8 fretboard but I don't want to try it, just in case it ends up looking retarded. :(

nike-just-do-it2.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey so earlier Minwax wiping stain was mentioned, so I looked it up because I planned to ebonize my fretboard, but then I saw that they offer different colors and it got me thinking: 3 or 4 coats of the indigo stain might look awesome on the black RG8 fretboard but I don't want to try it, just in case it ends up looking retarded. :(

Go to local music stores and ask them if they have a broken bass or guitar neck around that has a rosewood fretboard. I got a busted aria pro bass neck for nothing to try all the different finishing techniques on before taking it to my RG8. If not there then post an ad in here or maybe on your local craigslist / kijiji etc. I am sure you will find something.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Go to local music stores and ask them if they have a broken bass or guitar neck around that has a rosewood fretboard. I got a busted aria pro bass neck for nothing to try all the different finishing techniques on before taking it to my RG8. If not there then post an ad in here or maybe on your local craigslist / kijiji etc. I am sure you will find something.

I'll second this. Failing that, there's always something like this or I'm sure there's random scrap necks/fretboards on the bay for cheap.

Either way, experimenting's fun and it's worth a shot. :cheers:

Faine

Playing guitar.
Reaction score
can you see any of the inlays thru the stain?

i'm thinking of doing this on my schecter to get rid of that god awful skull inlay. :wallbash:

Nope. Covered them completely.
959CFA45-0F2F-4CAF-8F00-8F0C5F939D38-1955-000000E5C92E4E83_zpsd4c6fc1d.jpg

m4rK

Reaction score
I can only see mine with direct sunlight hitting the neck. Even then there is no color differece but you can see where the dots are cause its smooth not wood grained in that tiny area.

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
So I'll have pics hopefully by the end of the week with my RG8 mods; BKP Aftermaths and a killswitch will be added on when received. I'll be getting a couple of those miniwax stains to test out on an old semi broken first act neck I had laying around(I'll post pics of each coat in multiple lightings so people can see and have a better idea of what it will look like before they buy the stuff)

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
im liking that minwax...looks to be the way to go.

even if the light hits it just right the inlay would kinda be stealthy. i want to see how it holds up after a couple months.

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
Looks great! what about sound? I heard that if you paint a fretboard, than you make sound worse...is it true?)

It's a stain not a paint, compare dyeing your hair to covering it with paint, stains just change the color without putting a thick anti resonant coat of grossness on the fingerboard.

codycarter

Reaction score
*mod ideas!

first off make the headstock white..
White peg heads
Black Tele style pick guard covering neck route
Black x bar in the bridge
Take out the tone and move the vol to the tone spot and put a kill switch in the tone hole
Make the 3 way switch make the bridge go reg, coil tap, and out of phase
Put blue leds under the x bar
Route an "f" hole
Put blue leds in the f hole
Remove fretboard and put a maple board on with gold evo frets
Black binding on the body
Edge iii bridge
And tusq xl nut

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can find a TUSQ nut for the RG8 without having to buy a blank and make my own?

My modded RG8 is near complete!! Pickups are in, locking tuners are in, the purple strap locks are in, killpot is in, tone knob is out, now just waiting on the pickguard / truss rod cover material to show up from China (hopefully not broken :rolleyes: ) and then it shall be ready to rock n roll!!

But yeah,, an answer on the nut would be great, cant seem to find em anywhere. I suppose I could have my guy call graftech ?

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score
Wanting to do the minwax mod but its not available locally here in Singapore. Bro Fane tried shipping one from US but shipping alone costs 90US! :-/

Any guys nearer to ASIA who's able to help out in shipping one to me? Do let me know if possible and I will gladly make payment to u first before u ship the minwax. Any help is much appreciated..

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
*mod ideas!

first off make the headstock white..
White peg heads
Black Tele style pick guard covering neck route
Black x bar in the bridge
Take out the tone and move the vol to the tone spot and put a kill switch in the tone hole
Make the 3 way switch make the bridge go reg, coil tap, and out of phase
Put blue leds under the x bar
Route an "f" hole
Put blue leds in the f hole
Remove fretboard and put a maple board on with gold evo frets
Black binding on the body
Edge iii bridge
And tusq xl nut

...or just find a luthier to build you one :wavey:

codycarter

Reaction score
Opp better idea!

Take a black rg8
Sand off the finish on the front, leaving the back and sides black
Fill in the neck route with a block of basswood (I don't like neck pups if you can't tell)
Route f hole on the left side all the way through the body like a monkey grip
Sand off headstock paint
Do a material finish on head and from of body
Do a light burst of black around the edges of the material
Make a back for the f hole and lay down some metallic paint in the f and on the plate
Install hella bright leds to the f and pickup route
Continue to mix glitter and rub on lacquer, apply to material finish

Then here is where it gets crazy..
Remove fret board, nut
Route a path next to the left edge on neck
Install small leds for led side markers
Install slanted black rosewood fretboard and slanted nut
Install Cepheus single saddles
Fret neck for a 27-25.5" scale

boom
Super badass multiscale superstrat with an ibby neck for under $2500
LACS can suck a butt