Let the RG8 Mods begin...

ian14892

Reaction score
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I had to know...

I had owned a RG7321 in the past and I really liked it. Times were tight at one time, and I had to eventually put it up on Craigslist. I have wanted another ever since.

I have recently started looking at 8's, and this thread has given me major GAS for a RG8. I am thinking that I would like to change the pickups to Dimarzios (never been a big active PU guy), as well as do some other minor tweaks. I'd also like to change the nut, tuners, and saddles.

My question is.. How low can you get the action on the heaviest string? When I got my 7321 it was in BAD playing condition, but with a little spit and polish I had her looking great and playing superbly. I want to explore the 8th string, but I am just curious as to how the less expensive models play, or rather, how they are capable of playing with a proper set up. [I'd try to play one locally, but I have yet to see one in a store here.]

I would also like to know if anyone uses their RG8 to play something other than very heavy -or- progressive music. I am curious how an 8 would fit into other genres of music.

Oh, btw... nice looking RG8's, fellas.

Get proper strings. I'm no expert but I listened to some of the guys here about string tension and I just put a 10-86 set on mine. All the strings intonate very well and have good tension. Whether you play heavy music or not this would be the first thing to do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
(...)
There's obviously more than enough room to install these in the RG8 but the issue I have is with the mounting of the pickup on the bare wood. Its telling me to gently drill out the 4 holes to fit the mounting screws but after that, do I put the springs in there somewhere? what controls the height of the pickup at that point?

I use heavy density foam under the pickup to push it up agaisnt the screw pressure.

About wiring, if they are in parallel, they should sound more leveled in the overall output against single pickup selection...

Reaction score
Ran into a wiring hitch but figured it out.... all is fixed and now EVERYTHING is done........ except.... now I am still waiting for pickguard material from China...

Reaction score
Here's what i did to my black RG8... I stained the fretboard with the onyx minwax express, i installed a black hipshot bridge (which btw only required that i drill the mounting screw holes and slightly modify the string through holes) and locking open backed hipshot tuning pegs. I also bought two Dimarzio paf 8's, in which i swapped magnets (A5 neck, A8 bridge) and installed unplated screws and slugs. I put a CRL three way switch (wired Petrucci style) and CTS puts and a .015 tropical fish cap. This thing is amazing now... It looks great, sounds a million times better with the new bridge, and the tone is great through my 5150 half stack. The split middle switch position sounds great as well, very unique.

hand amputation

Reaction score
I'd REALLY like to add a pickguard to mine.

I'm sure it's been asked before... But does anyone know where I could get one made?

ite89

Reaction score
I hope someone tries out the new SD 8 string sets, I'm kind of worried that it might not fit the standard R8 routing it would such as waste if i had to sand them down.

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
What can i get in the UK that could be a good substitute for Minwax or other US stuff that we can't seem to get here.

I Don't want to import stain so if anyone knows a suitable alternative then Let me know :)

Also i've found a way to get my hands on a Fixed 8 Edge III bridge and i really am interested in fitting this, it's always been the ultimate bridge to me, other than a bit of routing can anyone think of anything else that could need doing??

Cheers all

Zhysick

Reaction score
You can use it in a guitar, but to turn on the LED you will need 12V. So, you will need 2x9V batteries and a voltage regulator (7812 for example) or 8xAA batteries... there are some strange/not common batteries that are 9V each, so two of them will be 18V and seems to be, the pair, smaller than a 9V battery, so maybe the best option; but never seen them in any shop here (which it's not so strange considering where I live...)

Anyway... if you are not going to use active pups I will not put batteries inside that very tiny cavity the RG8 have. Just my opinion.

Do you NEED a led?????

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
No not really, tbh i just really like the button itself as well. If i'm fitting 2 EMG808x's will i be able to just fit this and the 3 way blade? No volume, no tone just the killswitch and that's it.

Doable? I don't know a great deal about actually fitting pickups sadly :(

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
Here's what i did to my black RG8... I stained the fretboard with the onyx minwax express, i installed a black hipshot bridge (which btw only required that i drill the mounting screw holes and slightly modify the string through holes) and locking open backed hipshot tuning pegs. I also bought two Dimarzio paf 8's, in which i swapped magnets (A5 neck, A8 bridge) and installed unplated screws and slugs. I put a CRL three way switch (wired Petrucci style) and CTS puts and a .015 tropical fish cap. This thing is amazing now... It looks great, sounds a million times better with the new bridge, and the tone is great through my 5150 half stack. The split middle switch position sounds great as well, very unique.

PICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Hybrid138

Reaction score
Order new strings, some white vinyl, and some Ibanez logo decals. Mod #1 approaching!

hand amputation

Reaction score
Friend of mine is going to help me make a custom pick guard for mine. Gonna look a little like this:

pdheT9n.jpg

Now, I just gotta decide what color the pg and body will be... Thoughts?

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Friend of mine is going to help me make a custom pick guard for mine. Gonna look a little like this:

Now, I just gotta decide what color the pg and body will be... Thoughts?

I'd think the Galaxy Blue that was standard on the RG1527s would look pretty awesome!

Zhysick

Reaction score
No not really, tbh i just really like the button itself as well. If i'm fitting 2 EMG808x's will i be able to just fit this and the 3 way blade? No volume, no tone just the killswitch and that's it.

Doable? I don't know a great deal about actually fitting pickups sadly :(

If you are not going to put pots in it I think its doable... but only in 9V (don't know if the LED will light or not, but can work without lightning for sure) or the "rare 18V batteries you can buy in eBay"... I think you won't have enough room for two 9V batteries... but doable for sure :)

I recieved today my "white carbon fiber vinyl" so that pickguard design is pretty nice... I should copy it!! Hehehehe

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
^ Agreed, if the pickguard is a satin/matte black, then I think a Galaxy or Royal Blue would look tasty, maybe even a dark-ish red. :agreed:

Jameslewis777

I am the Overlord.
Reaction score
Hey dudes - just about to put in my order for an RG8 as my second eight* string (long story short, just ordered an Agile Septor 827, but it arrived damaged :/).

ANYWAY. Having trouble deciding between black and white. I am leaning towards white because of appearance modding possibility, but if I were to go black I would NOT be able to stand the ultra glossy finish in black. How difficult would it be to turn the finish into a matte or satin finish?

Last edited:

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm currently not even close to getting my RG8, but I have a question for you fellows in regard to my current plans for modding one, so I may kill my dreams now rather than getting my hopes up exponentially. :lol: So after seeing this:
SwirlJupiter.jpg

And this:

I've been so far planning on sending off my to-be RG8 to Livewire to get a "Jupiter Swirl" done. Basically my question is, would it be a frowned to get a swirl done with the same colors as in that above picture? I think it looks kickass, but I wouldn't wanna rip off anyone else's idea, (it could belong to someone on this forum for all I know).

:wavey:

Jameslewis777

I am the Overlord.
Reaction score
I answered my own question dudes! I bought the white...

I gotta give mad props to musiciansfriend. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered a $400 Agile Septor 827 as my backup ERG, but it arrived with a pretty serious pickup flaw that both rondo and I put on shipping damage. Needless to say I returned the guitar straight away (received it yesterday, returned today) and decided to explore other options. The RG8 was always second on my list so I decided to go with it. ANYWAYS, I ended up going on musiciansfriend and trying to add a coupon code to my order - it didn't work so I entered an online chat. I described my situation to the person and he gave me a coupon for 15% off! I bought my brand new RG8 in white for $339.99 with free shipping. Amazing deal. The only problem is it won't be shipping until 5/20 because of a backorder, but my birthday is around then so it'll be a good gift.

So the mods I plan to do so far:
-Ebonize the fb (with the exception of the two 12th fret dot inlays)
-Dye the headstock white and add the Ibanez checkmark logo decal
-Hipshot Locking tuners (no one has posted about them, but I imagine they'll be good)
-DA8's: can't decide between black w/ black poles, or white w/ black poles... but I am also slightly considering EMG 808X's (help?)
-Schaller Strap buttons
-Strings: .080, .059, .048, .038, .028, .018, .014, .011
-GruvGear Fret Wrap

I'm so stoked.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Well... first "no free" mod done on my RG8.

I received just a couple of days ago my "pickguard material" (AKA white carbon fiber kind of vinyl).

So... I opened the box and... yes... thats all... Never gonna buy again in a eBay shop called "poop"style (well... caca, which is spanish for poop). The material is "good" (as good as you can expect for a vinyl imitation of carbon fiber) but the package was just ridiculous... How do you even think you can fold a vinyl into a box to send it?? Just hilarious... also, some flaws in it... lucky I can use some part for my pickguard.

rg819.jpg

rg820.jpg

rg821.jpg

Well... lets start with my "telecaster-ish" pickguard... Never did this before so... Just figuring how to do it without disassembling the whole guitar so... paper, paper, time and time, and more paper...

rg822.jpg

Finally I got it.

rg823.jpg

Lets cut and paste!! (this sounds weird somehow for me... don't know if also for you english speakers)

rg824.jpg

Next, truss-rod cover!

rg826.jpg

rg825.jpg

Also changed the volume knob to the tone knob position and removed the tone knob as it is disconnected for a bit more of bite and clarity so I used the "pickguard" to hide the vol. knob hole. Looks sleeker now!!

Well... that's all folks!

... for now!!!

More mods soon!!! (ebonized fretboard!!!)

')