Let the RG8 Mods begin...

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score
Just got pics back of my RG8 with the custom pickguard done. Here is a teaser shot, more pictures once I pick it up. The question is, should I get faux ivory binding or keep it how it is?

This is the classiest thing I've ever seen. I need some peanut butter for all this jelly :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just got pics back of my RG8 with the custom pickguard done. Here is a teaser shot, more pictures once I pick it up. The question is, should I get faux ivory binding or keep it how it is?

310208_170540816445542_1345387901_n.jpg

Wow... that looks FANTASTIC!

I wouldn't go with binding. I think it would be too much.

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score

Awesome pickguard! Where did u get it done, mate? Any website link? :)

Dommak89

Reaction score

Wow... that looks FANTASTIC!

I wouldn't go with binding. I think it would be too much.

Yeah I wouldn't go with binding either, but I would definetely go with white knobs and a white PU switch. Or do everything in ivory (if you can get ahold of ivory PU covers and knobs).

stem

Reaction score

Fantastic pickguard! Everybody wants tele-style, but I like stratocaster (RG?) style)

RadDadTV

Reaction score
Hey I was just checking out lace's website and they have a Deathbar 3.5 and a 4.0, which one did you get to fit into the RG8?
Also how was the installation? Easy, hard?

the 4.0 is the one youre going to want to go with, an the installation wasnt complicated at all, it should take you around 30 minutes tops!:shred:

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score

*snip of the pic that people are quoting unnecessarily*

That looks AWESOME! Bind it. Bind it nao.

AbsentCurtis

Avoiding work
Reaction score
Started some mods yesterday. Will add pics upon completion. Here is what I have done/will do:

• Remove tone pot and add kill switch (done)
  • Swap position of pickups as suggested (done)
  • Paint headstock white and add black Ibanez logo (in progresss)
  • Add Paul Gilbert style f-hole vinyl stickers (on order)
  • Probably eventually get either D-Activators or Ionizers

Zhysick

Reaction score
  • Swap position of pickups as suggested (done)

Really?? You did it??

Ohhhhhh... I am the one who suggested doing that... I'm very excited someone did what i suggested!!!

OK. Jokes apart, I think you and me are the only two who had done that and in muy opinion it's a very very interesting and completely free mod!! Anyway, I'm thinking in buying a Lace Deathbucker or Lundgren M8C just to demonstrate how good it is the "pup swap position mod" or how retarded I am.

About the last pic:
Amazing results!! Are that normal vinyl you cut or any special for inlays?? I don't know ehat to do with the all vinyl I have somewhere...

Reaction score
the 4.0 is the one youre going to want to go with, an the installation wasnt complicated at all, it should take you around 30 minutes tops!:shred:

Thanks man, I had no idea about the existence of these pickups until I joined this forum and read about them here.
I watched this video and I was blown away with the clarity and articulation in these pickups, not necessarily in the song in the beginning (not a great mix) but the room mic sounds incredible.

If everything goes well, my white RG8 should be arriving in the mail sometime in the beginning of next month.

I'm set on getting a set of Deathbars when I eventually swap the pickups. Do you guys think the Chrome Deathbars would look cool or should I go with the black ones since all the hardware is black?

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the Blackouts installed...
CAM00146_zps857d3d66.jpg

CAM00148_zps58e047bf.jpg

I like some things about the Blackouts (super good sounding with gain) and some things about the modded Dimarzios (awesome cleans, especially the Petrucci style middle position single coil setting). I am seriously considering getting a white one to put the Dimarzios in. And maybe some gold hardware!

Can i ask why the hipshot is set so far back? I had initially thought they would be a fairly direct change over minus a bit of drilling??

I'm interested in fitting my own

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Can i ask why the hipshot is set so far back? I had initially thought they would be a fairly direct change over minus a bit of drilling??

I'm interested in fitting my own

Well, if you look at the baseplates, the Hipshot is much smaller than the Ibanez, so it looks to me like the saddles are in roughly the same position, and it just appears further back.

Reaction score
Well, if you look at the baseplates, the Hipshot is much smaller than the Ibanez, so it looks to me like the saddles are in roughly the same position, and it just appears further back.

Exactly... i used the existing through body holes, i just had to drill four new holes for the hipshot 's mounting screws. The saddles are in the same place, it intonates perfectly.

I decided to get another RG8, a white one... I'm gonna put gold hipshot bridge and locking tuners, stain the fretboard and put my Dimarzios in that. Or possibly some white EMG 808X 's :hbang:

stuglue

Reaction score
Hot damn is thus thread getting interesting. Time to sit back and soak it up.

')