Let the RG8 Mods begin...

Reaction score
Just got pics back of my RG8 with the custom pickguard done. Here is a teaser shot, more pictures once I pick it up. The question is, should I get faux ivory binding or keep it how it is?

310208_170540816445542_1345387901_n.jpg

Very awesome sir. Now please tell us where to procure such awesomeness. :squint:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AbsentCurtis

Avoiding work
Reaction score
Yeah I figured what the hell, I'm in there putting in a killswsitch anyway and eventually I'll swap them out for something else. I just haven't been able to try it yet because I'm waiting for the headstock to dry. Put a few more coats on today. I'm getting more interested in the Deathbucker or XBar too.

Really?? You did it??

Ohhhhhh... I am the one who suggested doing that... I'm very excited someone did what i suggested!!!

OK. Jokes apart, I think you and me are the only two who had done that and in muy opinion it's a very very interesting and completely free mod!! Anyway, I'm thinking in buying a Lace Deathbucker or Lundgren M8C just to demonstrate how good it is the "pup swap position mod" or how retarded I am.

About the last pic:
Amazing results!! Are that normal vinyl you cut or any special for inlays?? I don't know ehat to do with the all vinyl I have somewhere...

obZenity

bwow-duh-da-dow
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't go with binding either, but I would definetely go with white knobs and a white PU switch. Or do everything in ivory (if you can get ahold of ivory PU covers and knobs).

Ok I'm going to try to answer all of these haha. One, the PUPs are the Ivory color, the camera just didn't really show that. I'm on the hunt for an ivory switch tip, and the knobs I'm on the fence about. I tried white ones and creme ones and they looked a little too off to me with the PUPs, but that was before the pickguard.

As for the pickguard, I had a local luthier at a Guitar Center cuz one for me (the store I work at). He drew it by hand and cut it by hand I believe. The material is an antique Tortoise Shell, so its 5-ply with a offwhite (haha Ivory) layer.

Thanks for the kind words too! I can't wait to get it and see her in person. I'll post of pics too.

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
And what size Hipshot did you use? I'm still not entirely sure what the difference between the .125 or .175 are?

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score
As for the pickguard, I had a local luthier at a Guitar Center cuz one for me (the store I work at). He drew it by hand and cut it by hand I believe. The material is an antique Tortoise Shell, so its 5-ply with a offwhite (haha Ivory) layer.

Thanks for the kind words too! I can't wait to get it and see her in person. I'll post of pics too.

By hand? Awesome, nicely done! :bowdown:
N in all seriousness, any chance that you can ask him to build me n the other peeps here, the exact pickguard? Im pretty sure there are alrdy a few interested parties who cant wait to buy it, yours truly included.. :agreed:

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
Had a small change of heart with my set up so i've decided now to get

Grey Tortoiseshell Pickguard - Possibly tele or RG style
Lace Deathbar 4.0
Hipshot locking tuners

And now i'm looking at the hipshot as well but i'm not sure yet, will decide before i cut the scratchplate though

Reaction score
Ok I'm going to try to answer all of these haha. One, the PUPs are the Ivory color, the camera just didn't really show that. I'm on the hunt for an ivory switch tip, and the knobs I'm on the fence about. I tried white ones and creme ones and they looked a little too off to me with the PUPs, but that was before the pickguard.

I'll take one, same as yours! :yesway: You might want to try parchment knobs and switch tip... The parchment parts i got from Warmoth look like they'll match the ivory nicely

ASTILKS

Reaction score
Did some minor "mods" to mine, white tuning pegs, white fender style volume and tone knobs. Very minimalistic but looks good to me nonetheless.

The most work I did was finding a tone that suited it, and here is what i came up with.

Reaction score
Well, i just ordered a white RG8 as well as gold hipshot locking tuners and a gold hipshot bridge. I like having a backup for my guitars, So now I'll have two 8 strings. Anyway, i spoke to someone at sporthitech (eBay hipshot dealer) and they answered this question for me...

I want these Hipshot tuners, but as Khai said, it says that .079 is the max.

...they told me that for the 8string sets the B and F# tuners can accommodate up to a .080 stock (which is what i use so i can verify that). They also told me that they have tuners that can take up to a .104 gauge string upon request. Hope that helps. I have bought three bridges and four sets of tuners from this seller and i highly recommend them. :metal:

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Did some minor "mods" to mine, white tuning pegs, white fender style volume and tone knobs. Very minimalistic but looks good to me nonetheless.

The most work I did was finding a tone that suited it, and here is what i came up with.

That was awesome! With the white pegs and knobs, it makes me think that would look awesome with some white EMG's. :2c:

Santuzzo

Reaction score

:shred::metal::yesway:
awesome!:bowdown:
I would also like to know if those are the stock PUs you used on this clip?

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Yes stock pups indeed, Im pretty sure im going to throw some Bkp's in there once I save up enough. I really appreciate all the compliments guys!

Wow, that is awesome, because to me that sounded really sick!
I got one of these on order, should get it tomorrow or day after tomorrow:yesway:

hand amputation

Reaction score
Here's a silly little thing I wrote for my podcast.

RG8 with D Activators through Podfarm 2.

Please excuse the noobish playing. Still learning how to use the almighty 8 string!

Soundcloud link here.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I'm really wanting to get one of these, get a custom pickguard, put some ionizers in it (maybe route a middle pickup for an ioznizer) and play this baby. I'm almost crazy enough to try and put an evertune in this guitar once the bridges come out... but I have to get it and play it for awhile to make sure I like playing 8 strings first haha.

')